IGNORED

K1200GT has to go, what about an RT

ZZZ

Hello

I bought a K1200GT six weeks ago, it is a 06 model with 5000 miles on her. In the past six weeks I have returned it to the dealers three times. The problem being, high idle and snatchy throttle that seems to plague these bikes. The dealer cant seem to fix it. Instead of enjoying my bike all I seem to do is travel the 50 miles to the dealers.

Anyway, heres the question. I was thinking of exchanging it for a R1200RT. I have not test rode the RT so before I did I thought i'd ask you guys what the bike is like to ride. Obviously I'm looking for smooth and controlled power delivery at all speeds but especially at low speeds. As I said I have never ridden a bike with a boxer engine, so any advice would really help me out.

Thank You

Did they reprogram the GT?

The RT is a fine motorcycle.

What type of riding?

Passenger?

RichEdwards

Sounds like the computer on your bike needs the updated software. My GT is silky smooth, idles perfectly, and has no throttle issues. Try another dealer.

Just got a R1200RT,,LOVE IT,,Took it to Torrey,No Problems at all,42 MPG at 90+ MPH,,Put 3k Miles on it the first week!! thumbsup.gif

Bought my 2006 RT 4 months ago, and after 3400 miles absolutely love it. Very smooth throttle response at all speeds, quiet and nearly vibration free at all speeds. I only rode the RT 19 miles before I knew this was the right bike for me. Only complaint I have is it needs a bit lower 1st gear for smooth start ups from 0 mph, a bit more clutch slipping is necessary that I like, but, that is only a nit-picking issue.

Since clutch is dry, you can smell it sometimes on aggressive power application from stop signs

I'd be more demanding of your dealer. Get him to upgrade the software and not turn it back to you until it is right. Trust me: he will know what "right" is, as there have been multiple factory upgrades on these bikes (and on my early 07).

BE firm before trading.

Ray

I've got 24000 miles on my 05 RT and all you need is a sargent seat or corbin or whatever and they are good to go. naturally not the brut power of the GT at top but then how much do you run over 130MPH. RT does EVERYTHING excellent. compaired to the GT you might want to keep the RPM up at low speed if your trying to go fast in corners. but at deals gap I managed to stay up with a 06 750 gsxr,in the tight parts, straight he was gone but not much straight there at all.

Rocket_Cowboy
but at deals gap I managed to stay up with a 06 750 gsxr,in the tight parts, straight he was gone but not much straight there at all.

Anybody can go fast on a sportbike in the straights. Going fast in the tight parts is where a rider distinguishes himself from his bike, IMO.

That is what I did.

I just enjoy the RT's ergo's and power delivery enough to take the financial hit of a trade. The GT's power is fun, but not practical for my style of riding.

Good luck.

...Obviously I'm looking for smooth and controlled power delivery at all speeds but especially at low speeds. As I said I have never ridden a bike with a boxer engine, so any advice would really help me out.

Thank You

How low a speed are you considering? I use my RT to demo the MSF classes. Of my 4 beemers the RT has been the easiest to ride cornering exercises at parking lot speeds. Nevertheless, the driveline lash and abrupt throttle response present a bit of challenge. Nothing that can't be learned -- use steady throttle and control speed thru use of clutch and rear brake. If you are talking about street speeds of 20 - 40 mph as low speed, then there is no issue with the RT. One of the principle reasons I selected the RT over the GT was relative ease of parking lot manuevers. The KGT can do these turns, just requires more concentration. Others may have another opinion.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. To answer your questions about the repair to my bike I have had the latest software upgrades, the dealer called today to tell me that the airbox and idle control valve are to be replaced. They are on back order from Germany, so I'll be another two weeks without the bike, Work only allows me to pick up the bike at the weekends.

I have been reading posts on I-BMW.com and K-BIKES.com. A lot of people have these problems only to have them repaired and return. The only solution so far seems to be to renew the ecu, which BMW are doing the labour for free and you pay for the parts.

Anyway back to the RT the reason i thought about it was, town riding the GT was never happy riding in town, even when it was running smoothly. It is a great bike on the open roads, they seem to put these towns in between the open roads though. Some people have no thoughts for anyone. I did not realise the RT has a dry clutch How does this compare for slipping to the wet clutch, is there a difference?

Archived