IGNORED

Installing Ohlins

LANGeek

How tough is it install a set of Ohlins shocks?

I am your basic "Shade Tree" mechanic. I do my own maintenance on the bikes (Harley and BMW) and have built several hot rod motors of the years.

gettysburg

How tough is it install a set of Ohlins shocks?

I am your basic "Shade Tree" mechanic. I do my own maintenance on the bikes (Harley and BMW) and have built several hot rod motors of the years.

So are you having second thoughts about selling your RT?

LimeCreek did a write-up about it about a year ago.

R1200RT Ohlins Installation Part 1

Ohlins Installation R1200RT Part 2

His write-up covers removing ESA equipped shocks. It looks like somthing I'd try; and I've never built any hot-rod engines thumbsup.gif

Yea, I lot of guys here reponded that the techs here at Bob's over stated the problems with removing the ESA shocks. If I can get the Ohlins and shorten the ride height enough that should make it ridable. But the dealer wants way too much to do the work. So, I am looking in to doing this myself.

If it works I should have a cool bike. If not, I can reverse the process, try selling it, and then ebay the Ohlins. Well, it sounds like a good idea dopeslap.gif

Thanks for the links. thumbsup.gif

gettysburg

I hope it works out for you. For myself, I don't know of another bike I'd consider over the RT. I have absolutely no interest in a cruiser or sport-bike.

I've had a dual-sport(F650-GS) and I'd never go that route again. Even with it's extra weight, the RT is much more maneuverable than either the F650GS or R1200GS.

Archived