front abs sensor removal RT1100

Brasto

I have removed the two Torx T25 trying to pull out the sensor from the fork-bracket. The thing is stuck into place and will not rotate or move.

I have removed the frontwheel to get better access to the other side of the sensor. A black soft rubber cover/seal is exposed. see my 2 pics. Question: How to remove this sensor ? heat the fork ? Press it out using special customized tool ? hammer it out ?

TY for info

863252-sensor-1.JPG.edf775599230ac916213f0cdb33c2a48.JPG

You certainly don't want to hit it or hammer it at all. I have had to deal with more than my fair share of stuck ABS sensors. Most of which are on older '80s-'90s BMW cars, but they look and fit exactly the same. I have always had luck using a rag and a pair of channel locks. Try wrapping the rag around the sensor to protect it, then get the channel locks around the mounting flange, and put some body weight into it. What ever you do......do not grab it by the body of the sensor. I have seen them break in half and then you are stuck drilling out the rest. It is not a fun procedure. Anyway.....I hope that helps. You might want to try hitting it with some penetrating spray an hour or so before you give it a try. As a last resort, I might try heating it, but I would be extremely carefull as to not damage the sensor.

John Dickens

The whole thing is a sealed encapsulated unit. I soaked mine in penetrating oil overnight then gradually wiggled it loose.

If you are trying to change or remove the sensor be prepared to chase the wiring twice round the bike before it finally lets go.

The job is done...and went flawlessly...I ended up using my special tool which originally comes as a spanner for my angled grinder machine. It appears that the two little pinions have their diameter and in between center distance exactly matching the holes in the front wheel sensor of my BMW RT1100. Doing a little rocking and hammertapping finally broke the corrosion allowing to pull the sensor, removing a 0.5 mm shim setting the proper clearance now to 0.45.

The ABS uProcessor showed the old frontwheel sensor failure (3 blips) After a compu reset everything worked as advertised. Thank God I did the job myself and did not take it to my garagist who indicated that frontwheel sensor as well as pumping unit has to be replaced....

Picture of removal tool attached,

863948-sensor019a.JPG.cbd94c0a89e96fdcfe2bc6ce15f4b19c.JPG

The job is done...and went flawlessly...I ended up using my special tool which originally comes as a spanner for my angled grinder machine. It appears that the two little pinions have their diameter and in between center distance exactly matching the holes in the front wheel sensor of my BMW RT1100. Doing a little rocking and hammertapping finally broke the corrosion allowing to pull the sensor, removing a 0.5 mm shim setting the proper clearance now to 0.45.

The ABS uProcessor showed the old frontwheel sensor failure (3 blips) After a compu reset everything worked as advertised. Thank God I did the job myself and did not take it to my garagist who indicated that frontwheel sensor as well as pumping unit has to be replaced....

Picture of removal tool attached,

Thats awesome......nice work!

Now that you have solved your problem, I will use this thread to raise another issue on the same topic.

I was trying to adjust the sensor gap to the prescribed 0.45-0.55 mm today and discovered that the shims are all 0.3 mm in thickness. My current gap is 0.65 mm. Removing one shim makes it 0.35 mm. Neither is within spec.

Do the shims come in varying thicknesses? All of mine are the same 0.3 mm.

I answered my own question. Guess I need to pick up some other thicknesses.

34511458406 spacer ring (0,1)

34511458408 spacer ring (0,3)

34511458409 spacer ring (0,5)

34512310338 spacer ring (0,4)

34512310339 spacer ring (1,00MM)

34512310340 spacer ring (0,05)

34512325976 spacer ring (0,07)

It is always preferred to set things within specs. But...I wonder whether a too small(0.35 mm)gap will prevent proper operation of the ABS. (as long as there remains some clearance over a full rotation of the wheel). However a too large gap in my opinion might result into a too small signal from the sensor resulting into unreliable results ??. Other things like dynamicloads, wheelbearing play, rust/dirt build up also might contribute to errors ??

I guess that's the reason why the BMW engineers have setup these thight tolerances ??

It is always preferred to set things within specs. But...I wonder whether a too small(0.35 mm)gap will prevent proper operation of the ABS. (as long as there remains some clearance over a full rotation of the wheel). However a too large gap in my opinion might result into a too small signal from the sensor resulting into unreliable results ??. Other things like dynamicloads, wheelbearing play, rust/dirt build up also might contribute to errors ??

I guess that's the reason why the BMW engineers have setup these thight tolerances ??

I agree about wanting it within spec. I left it at .65 mm thinking it would be better to have too big a gap than to have it collide with the toothed ring because the gap was too small. I was concerned that the extra large gap would lead to ABS sensor error codes, but it hasn't so far. I plan to get some thinner shims and adjust it to spec soon.

Archived