IGNORED

Excel Based R1200RT Maintenance Schedule - Just thought I'd share

lthj75

I used a link a fellow board memeber provided to the BMW service forms and created an easier to use Excel based maintenance schedule - I think this is better suited for record keeping. I thought I would share with others I thought would find it useful.

This is my first pass at teh file. I might have missed a few things or need to make some changes. If people who use it can point out any changes, I will update the master file and repost if there is an interest.

Hope this helps.....

PS - what the heck is a bleed test? Is it really necessary every 6K miles?

863248-R1200RTMaintenanceSchedule.zip

The spreadsheet stops at 96k miles? What happens after the break-in period? tongue.gif

Nice job. Gives me some ideas for some other projects (work related) I've been working on.

The spreadsheet stops at 96k miles? What happens after the break-in period? tongue.gif

HAHA - yes! I got tired last night - sorry! grin.gif

Jim VonBaden
Do any R1200's have secondary spark plugs to inspect, as suggested by the maintenance spreadsheet?

All Hexheads have duel spark plugs.

Jim cool.gif

FYI

The bleed test is done with the diagnostic computer (GT1 with Komet) at the dealer. This tests for proper residual pressure build and hold in all four hydraulic circuits. This insures the system is functioning correctly and and the brakes are correct. If the system needs bleeding, parts not correctly installed, or any fault currently exists it will not pass the test. The technician is to do this check every service and any time brake work is done. It is a quick test to do, takes about 5 min once GT1 is booted up and the cable is hooked up. This test also reads any current or historical fault codes. The test creates a printed report that is signed by the tech and placed in the vehicle history folder.

I hope this helps explain your question thumbsup.gif

Holy cow! Thanks a lot for the effort. clap.gif

I was just about to do the same thing for the new girl, but I think your work is better than what I would have done. In short, it "Excels" (sorry, so sorry, just should've resisted) dopeslap.gif

I used a link a fellow board memeber provided to the BMW service forms and created an easier to use Excel based maintenance schedule - I think this is better suited for record keeping. I thought I would share with others I thought would find it useful.

Useful indeed! I'm ready to do the 18,000 mi work now.

Thanks for the effort!

Just got our bikes and was informed that 600 mile service cost is up over 100 USD. Apparently the final drive oil must now be replaced at this service. Since it was supposed to be immortal, or something, there is no drain hole. Therefore the whole final drive must be removed and replaced. Why they can't use a pump I don't know. Anyway, something you may want to add to the schedule.

Just got our bikes and was informed that 600 mile service cost is up over 100 USD. Apparently the final drive oil must now be replaced at this service. Since it was supposed to be immortal, or something, there is no drain hole. Therefore the whole final drive must be removed and replaced. Why they can't use a pump I don't know. Anyway, something you may want to add to the schedule.

Dude.....its been over $100 for prob 10+ years! As for the final drive fluid change at 600 miles.....can anyone confirm this is the case?

Don_Eilenberger
Dude.....its been over $100 for prob 10+ years! As for the final drive fluid change at 600 miles.....can anyone confirm this is the case?
Yup. Watched it being done last Saturday.

The drive isn't "replaced" - the ABS sensor, rear-wheel are removed, the Paralever link is removed and the drive is then tilted down so the level/drain hole (which faces the rear of the bike) points down.

It is then left to drain (which can take 30 minutes or so..) The drive is then put back in the normal position, and refilled through the ABS sensor hole until the fluid runs out the hole that had been used as the drain hole.

It would have been simpler to put a drain hole on the bottom.. lots simpler, but since it only has to be done once (ha!) I guess they didn't bother.

What I'm wondering is - how this magic lifetime fluid is apparently GL5 gear lube. That's all that was listed on my invoice for the 600 mile service, and a friend who runs an independent garage called Bob's BMW when doing another friends rear drive, and was told it is standard GL5 gear lube.

On BMW cars - they like to use real "magic" lifetime fluids - only obtainable at vast expense from BMW. Guess the Motorad side of the house hasn't caught on to this yet.

On BMW cars - they like to use real "magic" lifetime fluids - only obtainable at vast expense from BMW. Guess the Motorad side of the house hasn't caught on to this yet.
Shhhhhhh. You'll upset the G*ds.
Just got our bikes and was informed that 600 mile service cost is up over 100 USD.

Thats a steal in the BMW world - practically free! They charged me $100 to meet the service manager. lmao.gif

The drive isn't "replaced" - the ABS sensor, rear-wheel are removed, the Paralever link is removed and the drive is then tilted down so the level/drain hole (which faces the rear of the bike) points down....

...It would have been simpler to put a drain hole on the bottom.. lots simpler, but since it only has to be done once (ha!) I guess they didn't bother.

It was my understanding (and confirmed by a note from BMWNA) that mid-year '07 bikes were going to be built with a proper drain hole for the FD. (I was also told that LED turn signals were going to be an option beginning mid-year '07 but I've not seen any on the showroom floors so I don't know who to believe anymore.)

Dude.....its been over $100 for prob 10+ years!

Trying to say the cost just went up by that amount... Guess I didn't do a very good job.

dopeslap.gif

Jim VonBaden
I'm familiar with the position of the "primary" plug; but, where is the "secondary" located???

On the bottom of the head, under a black plastic cover.

Same plug as the main plug.

Thanks for the spreadsheet!

Jim cool.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

The 2008's now have the drain hole on the bottom of the rear drive and have a fill hole on the backside (behind the wheel) so you no longer have to break the unit loose to drain the fluid.

Great information - thanks for sharing.

I have a potentially stupid question.

There is a test noted for "Engine start supression":

- is this to confirm the kill switch at the handlebar works

- that the Kick Stand down interlock works

- is it something else.

Thanks

Luis

The 2008's now have the drain hole on the bottom of the rear drive and have a fill hole on the backside (behind the wheel) so you no longer have to break the unit loose to drain the fluid.

Really. My 2008 doesn't...

Really. My 2008 doesn't...

Should have the drain at the 6 o'clock position (moved from the 9 o'clock position where it used to be).

Recognizing that this refers to a post from months ago regarding the final drive fluid, BMW specifies SAF-XO; this is a Castrol 75W90 super synthetic GL5 gear oil. Though my independent tech gets it easily here it Canada, I'm told that it's not readily available at US BMW bike dealers, though you'd probably be able to find it at BMW car dealers as it's used in the rear differential. That said, BMW "highly recommends" (to quote from a February 2005 BMW USA tech service bulletin #33 001 05 (011) for the R12GS) a BMW-branded 75W90 super sythetic gear oil, P/N 07 51 0 394 082.

Larry, the one-time FD fluid change at 600 miles is contained in a tech service bulletin; that's why you don't see it in the maintenance schedule.

My only other comment on the Excel spreadsheet is where it mentions replacing the brake fluid in the wheel circuits every 6,000 miles. My reading of the maintenance schedule (BMW Motorrad UX-VS-2 07.10.04) is that it calls for the brake fluid to be changed in the wheel circuits annually, and for the brake fluid in the "entire Integral ABS control circuit" to be changed every two years. That said, my independent tech (a BMW Master Tech who was trained on the hexheads in Australia), told me last year that BMW had doubled those intervals, i.e. to two years and four years, respectively, for bikes with steel braided brake lines. I believe our RTs have steel-braided lines. You would want to confirm these intervals with your dealer.

I'm in Minneapolis this weekend and took a trip to the local Dealer and saw the new 08' with these drain plug. He said that only the bikes that are showing up this month, has them installed. I'm glad I waited this long to get a new bike.

Archived