Mid-range priced FRS radio for Autocom?

Lion_lady

Okay. We've been sort of muddling along with hubby having a Starcom1 system and me with my Autocom Pro7 Sport. At first the Motorola Talkabout radios seemed to work fine, but the last time we headed out for a ride, I could hear hubby, but my system would NOT transmit to him.

Not to his comm system thru the radio, not to a naked Talkabout handset.

I know that Kenwood is recommended by Autocom, but at $100 per handset, that is a bit pricey. I've seen upper end Cobra FRS's at Best Buy, etc. Does anyone have any experience with any mid-range priced radios?

Advice is greatly appreciated.

Pam

Knifemaker

I know the Kenwood's are a little pricy...but after experimenting with the Cobras and the Motorola the Kenwood's are worth the money.

Sometimes is worth it to just bite the bullet and get the good stuff.

Prolly the mic/speaker jack got buggered up- it is one of the weak points of the Motorola Talkabout series..

Thing is, you can pick up quite a few of the Talkabout radios for what the TK3101 costs and although I havent ever bought the kenwood (price prohibitive..) I have been told that the Motorola is easier to change freqs etc when riding with various groups..

As with anything, you do get what you pay for.. but I have been running a talkabout for 2 years now and havent had to change it out yet. Plus, they have some models with wx band built in and of course the GMRS channels too.

Good luck with your decision-

ProductUser

I recently added a TK3101. The cost, new, including shipping, was around $190.00. Programming the Kenwood can be a bit tricky, but it's easy once you get the hang of it.

ProductUser

"To be successful, you can be either cheap or stupid, but you can't be both." -- BoT

The Kenwood model you probably want is the TK-3131. This is their mid-priced 1-watt radio that features both FRS and GMRS frequencies. MSRP is around $219. You can get them for less than that online. I think I heard they were going for about $170 - $180.

The low-priced Kenwood was the UBZ-LH14. This was a half-watt FRS-only radio. And it was a good one. They are discontinued as Kenwood said they cannot compete in the low-end market unless they produced junk, and Kenwood refuses to produce junk.

If you're interested in the UBZ-LH14, let me know. I know where there are two of them for around $70/each, NIB.

The low-priced Kenwood was the UBZ-LH14. This was a half-watt FRS-only radio. And it was a good one. They are discontinued as Kenwood said they cannot compete in the low-end market unless they produced junk, and Kenwood refuses to produce junk.

If you're interested in the UBZ-LH14, let me know. I know where there are two of them for around $70/each, NIB.

I have 2 of these but couldnt get them to work with the autocom just wouldnt transmit. dont think they were vox may be wrong. they are great little radios though. im also trying to find something that may work will probably end up with the 3131
MarkEngland
I know the Kenwood's are a little pricy...but after experimenting with the Cobras and the Motorola the Kenwood's are worth the money.

Agree 100%. As a ham radio guy, I can tell you the Kenwood is worth the extra bucks.

Agree 100%. As a ham radio guy, I can tell you the Kenwood is worth the extra bucks.

thumbsup.gif

Archived