IGNORED

Are shocks really shot a 28,000 miles?

Beembish

Are shocks really shot a 28,000 miles? I have been considering replacing the shocks on my 2000RT with just over 28K. Why all the talk about Ohlins? Why are they so costly?

Rob

Paul Mihalka

I usually get over 40K out of shocks. If they are the originals, they get replaced. If they are Ohlins, they get serviced/restored. Why Ohlins? Much better ride, more solid handling, they can be rebuilt. If you are a high mileage rider, rebuilding Ohlins is cheaper than replacing stock.

tom collins

the answer is: it depends. on: your riding style - agressive v. laid back; your loading style - do you ride 2 up and packed often or mostly solo, do you weigh 170 or 250; whether the shocks were built on a weds. or a monday.

you are right in the range, if you like to challenge roads, you are ready to take the next step and get an aftermkt. suspension. it doesn't have to be ohlins, works makes a good product for much less. its much less fiddly if you are not into tuning but would rather just get on. if you were happy with the stock setup, works would be fine for you, but 100% better than stock.

good luck.

tom collins

russell_bynum

Why all the talk about Ohlins?

Because they are very high quality units that work extremely well, have better adjustability than the stock pieces of junk, and they can be rebuilt.

Why are they so costly?

Same answer. smile.gif

Because they are very high quality units that work extremely well, have better adjustability than the stock pieces of junk, and they can be rebuilt.

I enjoy how most on this board think the stock shocks are junk. In the midwest were the only curves and sweepers are on the interstate entrance/exit ramps they work just fine, 90,000 plus miles worth for me anyway. If you are like 90 percent of the riders who don't canyon carve, do track days and ride somewere near the legal speed limits, the stocks are fine IMHO.

I am not a canyon carver but do enjoy the twisties. I do ride 2 up often and sometimes loaded for a 3 day trip - 2 up. I'll look into Works... how about Wilbers... how do they compare with others?

Rob

Wilbers have a build quality on par with Ohlins. They were slightly less expensive than Ohlins when I purchased them. Klaus did a great job of getting you what you needed. I haven't checked the prices from the new distributor and have no knowledge of them. Ohlins has a higher name recognition so may have a slightly better resale value, but the shocks are for a BMW and Wilbers is getting pretty well known among BMW riders so that advantage probably isn't that big.

Archived