IGNORED

Transition from riding clothes to work clothes...

bmwdude

Hey, does anyone have any tips (helpful ones, not like "get another job") on riding to work in safe gear yet being able to put on dress slacks/shirt/shoes, etc....Right now I am just packing my stupid work clothes in my side bags (I will soon get a behemoth center bag, I suppose) but it is somewhat of a hassle. I am thinking of bringing a week's worth of work clothes by car but storing them is a bit of an inconvenience. Maybe nothing can be done but I thought that I would tap into the vast amount of experience here. Thanks for anything.

Buy yourself an Aerostitch Roadcrafter one piece or similar riding suit to go over your dress clothes. Then you just need to keep a pair of dress shoes at work.

I carry my dress shoes, slacks and belt in my top case and change out from the Airglide 2 pants when i get to work. for the return i replace the dress shirt and tie with a t-shirt. All the work stuff goes nicely back in the top case. In winter I wear First Gear pants over my dress slacks. If for some reason I have to wear a suit then it's the cage.

Lakota

03 R1150RT

03 F650GS

I keep a pair of shoes at my office. Jacket and First Gear pants fit over my dress slacks and shirt and (sometimes) tie. The shoes come in handy in crappy weather too.

I just wear my work clothes (corporate casual - occasional tie) underneath my riding jacket and a pair of chaps. As for shoes... on riding days I wear these - Magnum Boots. Although they appear somewhat commando looking, they actually blend pretty well with "work" clothes.

I just put on my riding gear over my work clothes. There are several pairs of shoes that live under my desk. I get to work, pile my gear on an empty chair and then change shoes. It is tougher on days when I have client meetings and have to wear a suit. I fold my suit jacket (carefully) into my top case...the rest is the same.

Oh-and I don't wear skirts on days that I ride the bike! grin.gif

I keep a plastic tub at my desk.

I can still sit behind the desk and use it.

In the tub goes riding gear, helmet (or on top of tub as it is behind the modesty screen).

I keep brown and black shoes at work.

Also a spare shirt for emergencies.

I wear my dress clothes, including shirt and tie, under riding gear. Get there, put riding gear away and swap boots for shoes.

For fun I'll put my boots where you can see them under the desk and switch right and left so I look even goofier sitting there. grin.gif

When I leave it depends on the weather as it can get hot here.

When it's hot I step in the restroom and remove the dress slacks blush.gif and put my mesh riding pants on. (I wear appropriate color and material undergarments tongue.gif as you don't want to walk through the workplace with your pink heart covered drawers showing through the mesh, or maybe you do grin.gif)

When it's cold I just put the overpants back on.

Been using First Gear HT and HT Air for a couple years with excellent results.

I use first gear ht overpants and regular riding jacket. The pants make all the difference, easy on/easy off.

Gear over shirt/tie/etc. as above, if it's hot, I'll switch gear pants for dress pants or even jeans as appropriate. Typically I just wear my boots all day; if I've gotta wear dress-me-nice shoes, I'll bring them along in the topcase.

It's just a matter of switching pants, mostly. No big deal. Today I drove the truck, and regretted it. I try to ride unless, it's miserable weather, it's ridiculously hot or cold, or I have to work outside (land surveying), or have an important meeting (helmet head looks funny speaking to a planning board or rich developer-type bastidge).

russell_bynum

Roadcrafter. Leave your work shoes at work and change from your boots to your work shoes when you arrive.

russell_bynum
Russell,

He might not want a wet crotch at work. grin.giflmao.gif

He's in Corona Del Mar...rain isn't a problem. And the 3 days a year that it rains, he can just drive to work.

cool.gif

Hey, does anyone have any tips (helpful ones, not like "get another job") on riding to work in safe gear yet being able to put on dress slacks/shirt/shoes, etc....Right now I am just packing my stupid work clothes in my side bags (I will soon get a behemoth center bag, I suppose) but it is somewhat of a hassle. I am thinking of bringing a week's worth of work clothes by car but storing them is a bit of an inconvenience. Maybe nothing can be done but I thought that I would tap into the vast amount of experience here. Thanks for anything.

clothes are the easy part; helmet hair is the hard part

Roadcrafter. Leave your work shoes at work and change from your boots to your work shoes when you arrive.

Yep. The Roadcrafter fits the bill exactly.

Lets_Play_Two

I take the jacket off and put it and the helmet and gloves in the drawer (who needs files) and go to work!! grin.gif

russell_bynum

clothes are the easy part; helmet hair is the hard part

I find that the shorter I keep my hair trimmed, the less the helmet seems to matter.

You could always do your hair in the bathroom at work, if it is that important that no hair be out of place.

I find that the shorter I keep my hair trimmed, the less the helmet seems to matter.

You could always do your hair in the bathroom at work, if it is that important that no hair be out of place.

Ha! grin.gif I visit the gym each day prior to hitting the office and the hair issue is a real one for me because the gym is about seven miles from the office and my hair is typically wet or full of the all important styling "glue." Because it's only a short ride I plan to wear a balaclava or bandana to keep my helmet lining from getting sticky-funky...or primp myself in the restroom at the office. lmao.gif

I plan to wear the Olympia Phantom over my work clothes on days when I don't have to wear a suit and probably carry a lighter jacket and summer pants for the much warmer ride home--that's the easy part.

I ride a 2005 R1200RT to work almost daily (except heavy rain). The trip is 35+ miles one way. I wear a suit every day. For riding, I have my dress shirt, tie, and pants on under an Aerostich Darien Jacket, and leather chaps. My briefcase and suit coat (folded neatly) go in the top case. My dress shoes are in one of the side cases.

In the parking lot, I take and change from riding boots to dress shoes, boots go in side case. Take my Darien and chaps off, take suit coat and briefcase out of top case, put chaps and Darien in top case.

Would prefer more protection than chaps, and have recently purchased a pair of Tourmaster leather overpants with pads, but have not swithed to them yet. Even with the overpants same process will work.

Keep what hair is left cut short with a brush in top case, so helmet hair not a problem. Until someone sees me on the bike, they wouldn't know the difference.

The biggest part is settling on the process that will work for you.

This is an interesting conversation...I am somewhat lucky, my employer provides a uniform that I have to wear at work so I wear whatever I want on my ride in and change at my locker dopeslap.gif

I've been pleased with the Tour Master Caliber pants directly over my (business casual) work pants. I just change shoes when I get to the office. On days when I wear wool slacks I notice that they pickup static electricity after riding in. Quick fix with a metal hanger.

I will also change pants on hot days before my return trip home. Even though it takes a few minutes to make the change, it's worth it to ride the bike.

Sidmariner

I commute all year-all weather and wear my military uniform under my gortex-lined BMW Savanna jacket and Belstaff pants. My hair is short obviously, but I wear a silk cap under my helmet to reduce the helmet-hair look which occurs anyway. I keep shiny shoes under my desk.

Despite the analness of the military toward wrinkles, I have never had an issue. I do notice that the collars get dirty pretty quickly, particularly on my white uniform shirts. To reduce the extra wear, collar chafing, and keep my neck warm, I tuck a turtle neck dicky inside my collar.

I also use a silk liner in my helmet.

And I do plan at some point to go the one piece Aerostich route, just don't like to spend money. But it has been highly recommended for my type of commuting.

I do plan at some point to go the one piece Aerostich route

That's how it works for me. Business casual under the roadcrafter with shoes and a comb at the office.

...and when it rains, it is usually at nighttime and clears by day....thanks, all, for the suggestions...at least I know that it isn't just my struggle.

HouTexDavid

bmwdude,

I have another hint. When I ride to work (or used to-see my earlier topic about my flying dismount on Monday), I have found that wearing a t-shirt (under my dress shirt) made of that high-tech "wicking" polyester is a great help in being comfortable after arriving at work. Patagonia makes some nice, but pricey ones.

Here in the tropics, a regular cotton t-shirt is like a damp towel after a morning ride in the summer - even worse going home in the afternoon.

David

wrestleantares

I can dress pretty casual for work, but generally wear a two piece riding suit over my pants and shirt.

I keep shoes, a tie and nice dress shirt at work for those rare occaissions that I need them.

Archived