IGNORED

A Mixed Monday for Bmweerman and wife

bmweerman

Monday AM

I'm excited today, my new friends are coming to hang out with me and give me a break from sitting in the ICU. We're going to go out and take some pics of the bike and enjoy a lunch together. It'll be so nice to not be alone for a little while.

Cameron is still holding steady on all of his vitals and levels. His lungs have acumulated a little more fluid so they've started giving him a diuretic that will also help with the edema. Of course they are still aggressively suctioning his lungs. The orthopod was just here looking at his legs, and he says he doing well. He's kind of the "staple king" at the moment, but the dr. says they come out atfter 2 weeks, either here or in Bakersfield. I'm getting the feeling we'll still be here. The damage on his right side has really takien its toll on him and he doesn't have the strength to maintain proper lung inflation for extended periods of time. They are in no hurry to remove the ventilator. That's a relief for me as it was so hard to watch him struggle to breathe when they removed it last week. He's much more relaxed and can just focus on healing, rather than survival. The focus is still on keeping him comfortable and clearing his lungs.

I'm hoping for another fairly uneventful day for him.

Monday PM

It's been a long day. The couple I mentioned earlier were fantastic-going with me to check out the damage on the bike, then taking me to lunch so we could talk about things other than the accident. It was really nice. Unfortunately, I've been on an emotional yo yo today and have been on the low end for most of the evening. I think I just need to spend some time recharging and may work on that in the morning. For now, I'm getting this update posted, then it's off to bed.

Cameron has been doing OK, no major changes, but not the improvement that we've hoped for. His lung is still gathering fluid and gunk from the infection, and they keep sucking it out of him. There is talk of installing a traic (sp?) tube to replace the nasal tube they're using now. His poor nose is taking a beating from having all these tubes in it so it is probably a good idea. It's just hard to think of them cutting into him and doing any more procedures. He's working so hard to get better and lets the nurses do whatever they need to do to him with acceptance that they're doing what's best for him, despite the pain and/or discomfort it brings in the process. How much longer? It's dependent upon the infection in his lungs and how quickly he recovers from the trauma to his right side. I get the impression that we'll be in ICU for at least another week. After that, I really don't know. So overall, his status is about the same as this morning.

Good night -- Patti

Firefight911

Patti,

I am so glad that Tom and Barb were able to give you a bit of a rest.

Prayers are yours!

Thanks for keeping us posted. thumbsup.gifwave.gif

...There is talk of installing a traic (sp?) tube to replace the nasal tube they're using now. His poor nose is taking a beating from having all these tubes in it so it is probably a good idea. It's just hard to think of them cutting into him and doing any more procedures...

Patti,

I'm sure the doctors have told you this, but long term (>10 days) intubation can begin to cause scaring and other damage to the air passage way (I'm not a doctor, but learned about this when Mom was in longer term ICU with emphysema). A tracheotomy is intended to not only be more beneficial to the patient (as Cameron will no doubt notice with all those tubes out of his nasal passage) but easier on the medical staff in terms of 'suctioning'.

Glad to read you got some company, and that progress is being made...Hang in there! We're all pullin' for him (and you)

Mike O

Hang in there -- sounds like things are coming along about as well as can be expected.

Now be sure to get some rest. Hanging out in the ICU 24/7 can drive you more than a little batty.

In other words -- all the best, and it's going to be a long haul.

Now be sure to get some rest. Hanging out in the ICU 24/7 can drive you more than a little batty...it's going to be a long haul.
Sage advice.

Check PM.

We're pulling for you and Cameron.

Please try to take care of YOU !!!! It's easy to forget your own health in times like this, I know, I've been there. You MUST get rest, eat right and try to find some stress relief even if it means going for a massage or a pedicure or getting some exercise to release your stress.

Saying prayers for your both !!

Hoping for more "uneventful" days ahead and to continued healing. Please keep posting updates. Good Luck!

Bill

I'm a little late on seeing this posts. My prayers and well wishes are with you and Cameron. I'm sure it's been said before, but if there's anything we can do to help you've got 13964 friends and family here to help out. Please keep us posted on his progress. It may be theraputic as well for you to know we're all listening and you're not alone.

Francois_Dumas

Patti, we read your updates every day. Glad you had some direct company, other than us 'board lurkers' !!!

Warmest regards,

Francois

Archived