IGNORED

Poll: How many times do you wear the same pair of disposable ear plugs?

NoHeat

How many times do you wear the same pair of disposable ear plugs?  

510 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ear plugs:

Not the custom plugs that cost a lot.

Not the kind used for listening to music.

Just the disposable foam ear plugs:

Firefight911

What???

Wear 'em til they are not really "foamy" anymore. eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Nah, about 5 or 6 days or until I drop it. No 5 second rule on the drop!!!

Usually one pair / week, unless I lose one or it hits the deck in a questionable place, e.g., public restroom. No need to change them daily unless you have very acidic ear wax. lmao.gif

My habit has been to use them until they are dirty or fail to work well. Rinsing them has dubious effect, it seems to soften the foam.

Just took delivery of a custom pair made at my local audiologist. Wore them for 4 hours and need to buy some lubricant, Otoease was mentioned on a topic on this board. The custom plugs, provided I don't lose them, should give years of use.

Jerry Johnston

I wear mine once a day. Had a friend who cleaned his at night with alcohol. They're cheap so I don't risk an ear infection by waiting until they're moldy. tongue.gif

Until they won't crush down small enough, long enough to be properly inserted into the ear canal. Seems to be many uses but never counted. They also loose their crushability when they get wet. I have tried cleaning with soap and water and they would not crush anymore.

I spent a lot of time trying to find disposable earplugs that worked for me. I have a damaged ear and most plugs don't fit (to small) or hurt after a while. I finally found these which work great! thumbsup.gif

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007XA...rd_i=B0007XCA7G

I get them in small quantities from my local CVS now. grin.gif

Dan Gleebitz

I give them a lick before fitting ...makes them slide in better ... the licking also helps to keep them clean ... I do have a second pair in case I drop one in something mucky, I do have principles blush.gif

These are the best disposable ear plugs I've found. I buy em by the box and always carry plenty to give away.

They're much softer than the regular yellow neon ear plugs. If they don't have the lightning bolt on the side, they're not the same!

Until they grow little feet and run away... wink.gif

Funny you say that as my cat loves them, even after they have been worn a few times.... eek.gif

Steve_Witmer

I bought a box of 100 pair of the Howard Leight "Max" earplugs cheap at a local police supply-firearms place. At that price I'll wear new ones every day.

One pair all day.I carry many pairs on the bike.Max lite green. Cheap by the big box.Also now carry a pair of tweezers since I couldn't get one of them lil buggers out one day.

Earplugs.jpg

"We've been rubbed, we've been scrubbed and now we're ready to be re-plugged".....

Phil..........Redbrick

Whenever I get on the RT, I use a new pair. I've noticed that the attenuation of foam earplugs goes down after each re-use. If I'm farting around the city on my KZ, and the wind-roar is nil because I'm traveling barely 15mph, then I sometimes wear "used" plugs. But when I get on the RT, it'll be higher speeds and longer rides, so new plugs it is.

I've tried all kinds of ear plugs, including 2 pairs of custom-moldeds ... I settled on these a few years ago, they work well for riding and for playing in a rock band. I buy them by the box, and I order the "PLUS" size - a little more foam to cram in my ear but by the time it expands it's a *little* denser than the regular size, and it attenuates a hair better ...

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

Once a day.

+1

Underwear too. blush.gif

Yep, just like underwear you can turn 'em round and get another day out of them...
Once a day.

+1

Underwear too. blush.gif

Yep, just like underwear you can turn 'em round and get another day out of them...

You've always got inside out too for another 2 days....... lmao.gif

Phil..........Redbrick

Just buy a big box of them and change them often, then you don't feel like you need to worry about it. I have very small ear canals so I find that some days I have to put in a new pair after taking them out a couple of times. On a long day I might go through a couple of pairs. I just keep a whole pocket full of them.

http://www.labsafety.com/search/prodindex.htm

ShovelStrokeEd

I don't use disposables anymore since I got my Etymotics. My ride to work rarely includes speeds where wind noise is a factor. The ER6i's have plastic flanges and I am meticulous about a nightly washing. When I did use the disposables, my rule was one insertion and one removal.

steveknapp
I bought a box of 100 pair of the Howard Leight "Max" earplugs cheap at a local police supply-firearms place. At that price I'll wear new ones every day.

Lab Safety Supply is where I buy mine, online, cheap enough.

Archived