IGNORED

Should I?

Axe

I love my 06 R1200RT and don't think I would ever part with it, but I seem to be smitten with an 05 Ducati ST3. The Ducati version of a sports touring bike. I do a fair amount of back roads and while the R is great for that I am looking for something with a bit more quickness and low end grunt. I have never even sat on one of these but the pics and the tests sure are appealing. Even the seating position looks like it would accomodate and old guy like me. Seriously considering adding one of these to the extra space in the garage. Anyone ever owned or ridden one of these, any information would be appreciated. Oh, I know my wife has already told me I am to old for such a thing?

Find a retailer that will let you demo one. I was between the ST3 and the K1200GT ('03 - I like the lines on the 1st generation better than newer). The fit and finish were not up to the BMW's level on the one I was looking at (brand new Duc on the showroom floor).

wwjdwithca

I owned an ST2. Loved the bike. The electronics needed adjusting immediately cause it was far too lean from the factory. Had a bit of a problem with the camshaft as well, replaced by dealer. Drew lots of attention, but the riding position was a bit too aggressive for my tastes.

Like you I am a fan of the Duc, ST3, ST4 & ST4s. Have sat on them but not ridden one, yet. The wife encourages me to buy one if I want it. Great wife, but I no longer have room for any more bikes. So....if I were to take the plunge, something has to go. Either the 04 RT or the 00 VFR. The VFR would be the most likely, but I love that V4 motor. Also, would be prudent to learn to adjust the Duc's valves myself. This in light that I like to keep as much of my money as possible. thumbsup.gif

John Bentall

For sheer grunt I'd pick a Triumph Sprint ST over a Ducati anyday.

My 1200RT is still way faster than I am.

JohnBeaven

They are very nice!

A friend of mine has a ST2 which has now covered 80000km with no problems.

I don't think I could own one though. The seating position doesn't suit me - too much weight on the wrists. Also, the seat is like concrete.

Thanks all, I kinda figured the seating postion was a bit aggressive, won't really know till I try one I guess. Not my intention to do any touring on it, just burn up some back roads for a hour or so a few times a week. Just wanted to make sure there were no serious problems anyone knew of. Guess I am off to find one for a test drive. the Aprilia Futura looks intresting also. I got a funny feeling I can hear a noise in my check book coming.

Effervescent
They are very nice!

A friend of mine has a ST2 which has now covered 80000km with no problems.

I don't think I could own one though. The seating position doesn't suit me - too much weight on the wrists. Also, the seat is like concrete.

Rode a friend's ST3 or 4...can't remember. Wrist and butt were aching after 25 mins! And I'm still young!!! lmao.gif

-Eff

3 words... des mo dromic. Don't those things have to be adjusted every 2000 miles?

eek.gif

They get checked every 6k (7500k on the new ones). I have 19k on my 2v lump and the valves have not had to be adjusted yet.

Get whatever bikes calls your name.

good luck!

james

Doesn't look like Spike has posted lately, but give him a shout. He had an ST3 recently and I'm sure he has some opinions about the good and the bad.

Me, I'd get one in a heartbeat if I didn't have a Monster already. In my opinion, it's far better than the oilhead for backroad fun.

russell_bynum

Master Yoda's Riding Position fixes the "weight on the wrists" problem.

The seat can be replaced with aftermarket.

I hate to turn this into a rant about lousy dealers, But. I found a Ducati dealer within a 3 hour ride who had an 05 ST3. Call this morning at 9:00 ask a few questions about the bike and give him my name, I am a serious buyer should be there around 1:00. I get the OK I will be looking for you. Had a great ride to the place (no names) Pulled in shortly after 1:00. One fella at the desk I think he was helping someone fill out an employment app. after a few minutes he looked up and told me "I'll be right with you" 10 more minutes pass, he looks up again and says what can I do for you. Told him I called this morning and was here to look at the Duc. Oh yeah I remember. I'll be with you on a sec. 10 more minutes another customer walks in and he stops helping with the app. and helps this guy? OK I am getting a bit frustrated but I know it is busy and he is alone. After close to 30 minutes he starts to talk, but the damn phone rings, opps I'll be right back. 10 more minutes. I finally get to ask some questions and decide I like it, how about a test ride? Nope no can do we don't' keep batteries in the bikes on the floor? well put one in it. Nope not unless the boss is here. I says, do you remember our conversation on the phone this morning about me riding 3 hours to look at this Duc. and the part about me being a serious buyer? ahh, err well yeah maybe. Well, I like this one I got my check book with me but I sure as heck ain't buying till I sit on it while it is running, understand? Sorry, no can do. Oh well I had had enough thanks but no thanks. walking out the door I hear him yelling something to me about their policies? I am continually amazed at how some folks even manage to stay in business. Oh well I will find me another at a place that understands what good customer service means.

I hate lousy dealers! It's so aggravating. Go for it. Buy the Duc, but just know owning an Italian bike is like picking up an expensive drug habit. grin.gif

I hate lousy dealers! It's so aggravating. Go for it. Buy the Duc, but just know owning an Italian bike is like picking up an expensive drug habit. grin.gif

Not if it's a Guzzi! Mine has not cost me a dime 'cept tires and oil/filters/plugs in 6 years and 30K miles.

Bob

thumbsup.gif

I'm not saying it's expensive from a service perspective. As the relatively new owner (6 months) of an MV Agusta, it has cost me less in service $$ and time than my GS has, but I now lust after other Italian bikes and outrageously expensive accessories. If only you knew what I spent today alone on carbon fiber bits. I never thought that one day I'd be buying accessories for cosmetic purposes only.

Yes... I have a problem.

Archived