Here's the pics.

bmweerman

confused.gif I couldn't center stand it. It was hard to shoot around the tupperware, hopefully these will give some indication of the extent of damage. Nothing was leaking, but I didn't try any electrical either so don't know about that. Tried to get the seat off, but the key wouldn't turn very well in the slot-it has to be unlocked via that back keyhole, right? He always does this stuff so fast that I don't notice how he goes about it. (I recommend showing your pillions all this stuff to make sure they know how it all works-just in case.) As you can see, the whole front section, from forward of the ignition snapped off and is waaay forward from its usual location. That looks like the majority of the damage, aside from the broken tupperware. Panniers are OK, trunk box a little off kilter, but managable. You guys are giving me some great info. We'll see what you say after seeing these: http://weckerleys.smugmug.com/gallery/2884570#154962036
Firefight911

Patti,

Without beating around the bush, the motorcycle is absolutely a total.

Glad you could get out there and take care of this part of things.

At this point, you will need to scout around for comparatives. Kelley Blue Book ( KBB.com ), the classifieds here, your local paper, etc. are all sources.

Scrounge receipts for accessories as those are separate and additional from the value, depending on your coverage with your insurance.

Keep us posted and let us know what else we can do!! wave.gifwave.gif

Dibs on the salvage.

I think the insurance company will probably total it, but the bike itself is still in pretty good shape: the front forks don't look bent, no holes in the engine and the rims & brakes seem intact.

That whole front section is usually attached to the main frame by a tab. Yours has ripped off allowing the nose section to rotate forward. This can be easily welded back in place. This is what I did on my bike and the fix never gave me trouble.

You'll need new lights and tupperware at the rear, a few screws and some mirrors. It won't be new, but I think you could have this bike back on the road for less than $1000.

I think you could have this bike back on the road for less than $1000.
No way. I see $2000 in just parts. And probably anouther $3000 in labor.

Sorry, it's done.

russell_bynum

Sorry, it's done.

Michael isn't talking about making it pristine and perfect...just roadworthy.

At any rate, there's no question at all that the insurance company will total it.

Sorry, it's done.

Cameron would probably do his own labor. Whether it's $3000 or $1000 in parts depends on what he can find on Ebay or at Mike's Beemerboneyard, and what he has to pay retail for. If the engine, transmission, and ABS are intact, a lot of the rest (including plastics) can be fixed relatively cheaply. If any of those three major components are damaged, it'll be tough to cost justify rebuilding it.

It'd be a labor of love in any case. As an amateur still putting his own Beemer back together after 6+ months, I can verify that everything takes much longer than you hoped.

Patti: Tell Cameron to get well soon. He'll have help from friends on this forum rebuilding it after he's back in one piece. Maybe it'll be a "major-Beemer-rebuild-TechDaze" in Bakersfield this summer.

I have to agree with the total loss verdict. When you take into account the body parts that need replacing, paint, materials & labor that will probly put you over right there. And then that's not counting what else might be wrong with the ABS controllers, Motronics, etc...

Be patient, the process could take a couple of months, but the Insurance company will offer you a total loss settlement based on the value of the bike before the accident, to include the unused portion of the vehicle registration fees.

In some states you have the option of buying the bike back at salvage value, basically the value of the salvagable parts on the bike. So, in other words, just for example if the bike totals out for $8000, and the salvage value is $1500, you could take the $8000 and buy another bike and be done with it, or keep the bike and still collect a check for $6500 and try and fix the bike yourselves or part it out.

Something to look forward to!

clap.gif

Patti, there is no doubt that will be a total.. There is a lot of damage there (basically all over the bike) & given the age of the bike that will be a non-repairable.. If any tabs on the frame are broken or bent or the rear foot peg frame extensions are bent (they usually do in a crash like that) the frame will have to be replaced (maybe not by a private repair shop but by a reputable repairing dealer)..

I hope it was insured by a no nonsense insurance company? If so they will just cut you a check & probably offer you first rights on the salvage buy back.. If so, do not accept their first offer on the value of it’s worth.. Most insurance companies will really low ball you on the first offer on older BMW’s as the book price they use is really in their favor.. They will want to settle out pretty quick to remove themselves for the picture so get some selling prices from the local BMW dealers on BOTH trade in valve & what a dealer would sell that used bike for (there is quite a difference there) .. As a rule newspaper ASKING prices & E-Bay type prices will not sway the insurance companies offer… In my case the dealers legitimate trade in & selling price was enough to get another $1000.00 added to the pay out on a totaled bike.. I don’t know the salvage rules in your home state but in Michigan here the title can stay non-salvage on an owner buy back on a bike older than 7 or 10 years (can’t remember which one at the moment) .. The buy back on that bike could be as low as $250.00-$500.00.. But then you have the shipping back to your home to add to the price..

The good news is it does look to be repairable with some used parts & lots of labor.. (unless there is hidden frame or engine damage in which case it might be better off being parted out)..

The bike can always be replaced, it’s you husband that will need lots of help with recovery.. We all wish him a fast recovery with the hopes of no lasting medical issues..

Please keep us updated on his recovery..

Twisty

Patti,

The book value is around $7,000 and as far as the Insurance company, they'll say it's totaled. Hopefully you'll have the option of buying it back (if Cameron wants it) for something under $1,500 and fix it with used parts.

Mick

I spoke with our agent who was very helpful regarding the ins and outs of a totaled bike. She told me about not taking the first offer and to haggle over the buyback price. I drove the pickup here with the intent of bringing "Black" home with us. We've been through a lot with her, as anyone who's followed Cameron's ride tales and "ghetto garage" tactics can attest to. She also took us on our first date. I owe it to both Black and Cameron to bring her home and let him take care of her as he sees fit. When I told him my intentions, he smiled. That's good enough for me.

Don't listen to all these whiners and "doom and gloomers!"

Pth, get it to Russell and in a few months he'll have it back to you good as new! Prolly will even look and sound like a Duc! grin.gif Uh, might have a "few" extra miles on it, though. crazy.gif

I spoke with our agent who was very helpful regarding the ins and outs of a totaled bike. She told me about not taking the first offer and to haggle over the buyback price. I drove the pickup here with the intent of bringing "Black" home with us. We've been through a lot with her, as anyone who's followed Cameron's ride tales and "ghetto garage" tactics can attest to. She also took us on our first date. I owe it to both Black and Cameron to bring her home and let him take care of her as he sees fit. When I told him my intentions, he smiled. That's good enough for me.

If they low ball you on value, you can request that they find a suitable replacement. I had to go through that with a car i totalled after owning it for 12 days. They tried to low ball me and I asked them to find me a replacement. They found the replacement and gave me the money that the car was selling for, which was more than I paid for mine.

Sounds like you have a good agent.

mikefigielski

Patti,

So sorry to hear about the accident, glad the prognosis is good. Let Cameron know that if he wants to fix his bike, I'll do everything I can to help including a huge discount. He has been a good customer and deserves to get the bike back on the road if thats what he decides. Let me know when the time is right.

Mike

Lineareagle

If it gets totaled out. I would definitely get someone to take off everything that was an add on or not standard to the bike.

My recent total went with new Ohlins, new tires, throttlemeister, bar backs, aux lighting and I could have taken it all off and the insurance company would have cared less.

Unfortunately I was too far away and too involved in healing.

That said, the company, State Farm was very fair and gave me very good value for the bike. They just could not allow for much on accessories.

harleyjohn45

If they low ball you on value, you can request that they find a suitable replacement. I had to go through that with a car i totalled after owning it for 12 days. They tried to low ball me and I asked them to find me a replacement. They found the replacement and gave me the money that the car was selling for, which was more than I paid for mine.

Sounds like you have a good agent.

don't be in a big hurry to settle, i have progressive and they really low balled me. the second thing is they will offer you a salvage title. do not accept it. this was a stumbling block for me, i just told them to keep the money and i went on my way. is a couple of months the supervisior called me wanting to know if we could settle and i said i was willing, but no salvage title. guess what, no salvage title. insurance companies do not like open claims. btw, i picked up my bike immediately to avoid storage costs. another thing, i did not wreck the motorcycle, i had loaned it to a friend and he got about 3 miles before he hit the ditch. ouch.

john

Archived