IGNORED

R 1150 RS Handlebar

nowillieg

I thought I read from someone here who has done a conversion from the crappy handlebar on the Rs to a roundbar. I may be crazy, but humor me if you have any information. I know there is an adapter out there, but can't seem to locate one.

ShovelStrokeEd

For the life of me I can't remember the name of the company but yes, you are correct, there is somebody that makes a new upper triple clamp. You could also do it with BMW parts by using the upper clamp from an R bike.

A far cheaper alternative is to just replace the rubber bushings with steel or bronze ones. There is a kit for that as well, Jamie used it I think. Again, old age has begun to rob me of my memory.

SAAB93driver

Replacing the bushings won't change the geometry of the bar and will result in more vibration felt by the rider.

Wudo out of Germany used to have kit to replace the triple clamp and I think Werholen as well, but contact beemerboneyard.com, Mike over the came up with a less expensive way to put tubular bars on the RRS.

RRS tubular bar conversion

www.beemerboneyard.com

ShovelStrokeEd

I never had an issue with the geometry of the bar and the vibration certainly won't be any worse than that felt by R1100S/RT/R riders whose bars are rigidly mounted. As I recall, the bars are quite adjustable.

SAAB93driver
I never had an issue with the geometry of the bar and the vibration certainly won't be any worse than that felt by R1100S/RT/R riders whose bars are rigidly mounted. As I

recall, the bars are quite adjustable.

The original poster was inquiring about changing the bar to a round one which is the question I answered. Changing to solid mounts as you suggested does not make a change to tubular bars possible.

With regard to increased vibration and solid mounts several of R11XXRS riders who made the change to the solid bar mounts noted an increase in vibration at the bars over the stock and made the mirrors less usable - some thought the trade off was worth it for more aggressive riding.

mikefigielski

Here is a link to a show and tell of how i did the tubular bar conversion on my '94 RS: http://groups.msn.com/BeemerStuff/r11rstubularbarconversion.msnw . Same basic deal with an 1150RS except I am not sure if there is any extra length in the clutch/brake lines on that model. The bike's handling is transformed with the taller wider bar. I never saw the need or cared for that whole goofy rubber mounted Rube Goldberg set up BMW has on the RS.

Mike

Archived