IGNORED

Can you identify this part

rbmw

Guys

I just finished putting my '96 R1100RT back together from a fairly major disassembly. I took it apart to get to the clutch almost a year ago and then kept putting off the reassembly until this weekend. It is the first time that I have worked on the bike. My father helped me with the disassembly a year ago but was not available for the reassembly this weekend.

My problem is that I ended up with a part that I cannot figure out where it goes. It is a piece of tubing approx 1/8" ID and 38" long. It is not either of the two vent hoses from the gas tank. Anyone have any idea where this goes?

Also one other uncertainty that someone may be able to clear up for me. I had a short black wire with a screw terminal lug on the end of it that comes out of the Motronic wiring harness up on the front left side of the bike. It looked like it is probably a ground wire. I attached it with one of the screws holding the motronic unit in its bracket(two hex screws on each side of the unit). Is this correct.

I cannot believe that 1. I only had one extra part and 2. I did not loose any parts and 3. I got it all back together with only these two issues after all this time.

I ended up replacing the neutral switch and the drive shaft.

Thanks for any help on these two questions.

Sounds like the hose could be the battery vent.

The ground wire goes to the Motronic mount.

You done good.

Mick

Thanks Mick

That makes sense, I have an Oddesey sealed battery so the tube is unused. I may just leave it off but out of curiosity where does it run. I think I saw a picture that shows it comming off the left side of the OEM battery, how does it run and where does it drop?

I plan to put the tupperware on in the morning and see if she runs. I heard something about clearing codes out of the Motronic after a repair like this?? Is this true? IF so how do I do that? Anything else I should know or check for??

Thanks again

The battery line ends up by your right foot. Also, if the bike is running fine, I wouldn't worry about the codes.

Thanks Mick

That makes sense, I have an Oddesey sealed battery so the tube is unused. I may just leave it off but out of curiosity where does it run. I think I saw a picture that shows it comming off the left side of the OEM battery, how does it run and where does it drop?

I plan to put the tupperware on in the morning and see if she runs. I heard something about clearing codes out of the Motronic after a repair like this?? Is this true? IF so how do I do that? Anything else I should know or check for??

Thanks again

The vent hose can be left off. Re-install it if you ever go back to a wet-cell. It went from the left side of the battery and mine went across to the right side just in front of the air box.

Don't bother with the Motronic code clearing. If a code was set, it will clear when the fault is fixed. I doubt you had any.

Mick

Archived