IGNORED

2000 R1100RT. Brake & Oil questions

zbassman

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2000 R1100RT. It has about 56,000 miles on it. This is my first bmw, so I'm just learning about the various adjustments and mechanical aspects of the bike. Pleading ignorance I have two questions for the more learned of you (which'll be about everyone).

1) the rear brake pedal has started fading a bit. That is its taking more push to engage the rear brake. I've added brake fluid, which maybe helped a bit. But it's still not right.

On my my last bike, a Suzuki with a drum rear brake, I had to periodically adjust a couple of nuts to compensate for the wearing of the brake pads.

Is there a similar adjustment for the R1100RT? Or am I likely looking at a failing master cylinder?

2)Is it normal for these bikes to burn a bit of oil? I'm adding bit of oil every couple hundred miles. Not much.I've probably only added a quart since I got the bike 2 months ago, which is about 2,500 miles ago.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Peter_Doege

Hello -

There are no adjustments, the rear brakes are all hydraulic. I would bleed them and inspect the pads and locating pins.

I had oil issues on my R1100R. Many small leaks from the sight glass, various loose bolts. A large leak from the rear main seal was the big culprit.

Are you familiar with the "foot spray" leak checking technique?

Check where the transmission bolts to the engine for black deposits. If you have them, the rear seal is the culprit. It is not a particularly cheap fix on these bikes.

I spent about 3 months tracking down and fixes all of the leaks. It was a hassle, but what a wonderful bike it is now!

Regards,

Peter Doege

The rear braking system has been pretty reliable on these bikes. My guess is that you may just have a little air in the system and a quick bleed job will fix it right up.

Oilheads do use a little oil until fully broken in (and believe it or not you're barely at that point.) Don't obsess about it or the precise oil level, if there's any oil showing in the sight glass then you're just fine.

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2000 R1100RT. It has about 56,000 miles on it. This is my first bmw, so I'm just learning about the various adjustments and mechanical aspects of the bike. Pleading ignorance I have two questions for the more learned of you (which'll be about everyone).

1) the rear brake pedal has started fading a bit. That is its taking more push to engage the rear brake. I've added brake fluid, which maybe helped a bit. But it's still not right.

On my my last bike, a Suzuki with a drum rear brake, I had to periodically adjust a couple of nuts to compensate for the wearing of the brake pads.

Is there a similar adjustment for the R1100RT? Or am I likely looking at a failing master cylinder?

2)Is it normal for these bikes to burn a bit of oil? I'm adding bit of oil every couple hundred miles. Not much.I've probably only added a quart since I got the bike 2 months ago, which is about 2,500 miles ago.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Zbassman, at 56,000 miles it’s possible your rear brake pads are worn out (especially if you don’t know the previous owners braking habits).. Take a look at the pad thickness & make sure your pads are not worn out.. If you aren’t sure what to look for have a BMW dealer look at the rear brakes for you..

If you are not sure if those brakes have ever had the brake fluid changed you really should do a full system bleed using new brake fluid (brake fluid on the BMW systems is hydroscopic so it takes in moisture over time.. That means the brake fluid should be changed every few years)..

It’s also possible the caliper is not sliding correctly on it’s mounting pins or the pins could be corroded (the caliper should slide freely on it’s mounting pins)

That rear brake should be smooth, linier, & have good stopping power- so if it doesn’t there is probably something wrong with it..

On the oil burning issue.. It shouldn’t use much oil at the mileage you are at.. If it does you could possibly be overfilling the crankcase (very easy to do as checking the oil level with that site glass is more an art than a science)..

When done riding place the bike on it’s side stand for at least ½ hour,, only then place on the center stand overnight.. Next morning check the oil level in the site glass.. If you are keeping the oil level too high it will use more oil.. Maybe look in the bottom of the air box to see if any oil in there if so you are probably overfilling the crankcase..

Twisty

Thanks for all the replies.

What is the "foot spray" leak checking technique?

The brake fluid was supposedly changed before I picked up the bike from the dealer I bought it from. So, I wouldn't think its picked up much moisture.

I'll check the pads and calipers this weekend. And if they look good I'll try bleeding the lines and see if that helps.

If not I guess its to the shop. Dang it. I hate to be without the bike for that long; they'll keep it at least two days. This is why I need TWO bikes. But somehow I can't convince my wife that I really need the RT & a K1200LT.

Usually when I check the oil the bike has been on the side stand at least overnight. I then put it on the center stand and let it sit for 10 minutes or so before I check the oil.

Archived