IGNORED

Spring Torrey Check-In

flyingreg

Hey Doc and Marty, I too took 55 and 95 north of Boise. I pulled into McCall about 5pm on Sunday, and it was raining and cold. Took a room in a crummy motel, and woke up to half an inch of snow on my bike. I left in light snow that wasn't sticking to the road, and then hit a bunch of snow on the road on that canyon road going down out of town.

But good riding from Gangeville onwards. Dry roads from Lewiston to home.

Sure was surprised to see that snow!

Left Torrey Monday AM, also taking hwy 72 over "Gleno Summit". Arrived at Tahoe mid-day today. Jane and Miki are joining me here for a few days, so won't actually be home until late Friday. Found some busted water pipes from over the winter, so most of the remaining day was spent dealing with that - obviously the shut-off valve wasn't working real well either. frown.gif

The wet weather the SLC forecasters had predicted for the trip back didn't materialize, at least for me, but it was cold and very windy in the wake of the weather front. By the time I reached Fallon, NV, I was tired and sore from hanging-on, so stayed the night there (on my birthday), and completed the trip to Tahoe this morning.

I'm on a dial-up connection here, so haven't read all the previous posts (100?) yet, let alone any ride tales that may already be out there.

Good to see everyone. thumbsup.gif

Rocket_Cowboy
By the time I reached Fallon, NV, I was tired and sore from hanging-on, so stayed the night there (on my birthday), and completed the trip to Tahoe this morning.

Fallon was very windy when I rode through there Sunday. Things didn't get very nice until I hit Tahoe, and then the rest of the trip was a breeze (no pun intended).

I did manage to swing by San Jose BMW this morning, and they're taking care of my tire problem, plus an outstanding recall issue that hadn't been dealt with. Looks like I'll be able to head home on schedule after all ... and able to make the whole trip without any more unscheduled service stops to boot.

Just got in about 1/2 hour ago. The Great Plaines winds were worse than I've ever seen them, especially in Nebraska. Knappy, Drew and I managed to stay upright the whole ride, but it was iffy every time were passed a truck. My whole body aches. I jumped in the shower, then opened a Negra Modelo. Ahh, life is good! Torrey is good! You all are good!

It was great to see all off you! clap.gif

glad to see you made it home safe and well.

Enjoyed meeting you. You're awesome. Hope to see you at the UN in September.

n&g

barryNmarin

I made it home last night after making a 16 hour, 988 mile run straight through from Grand Junction, CO to Novato, CA. Thats the closest I've come to a Butt Burner and I didn't feel it was necessary to ride the extra 12 miles to make it official. After all its only a number and I'm pretty sure I could have made it another 12 miles. Left Grand Junction at 5:38am and had rain, light snow and lower 30's temps through eastern Utah. Brrrrr. Rolled in at 8:42pm numb but still smiling from being with great friends at Torrey.

By the way, I'm in total awe of anyone who has done a 50CC!!

I can't see that in my future.

Thanks again to everyone who spent their time and talents to make Torrey XIII such a success.

Barry

In Mon at 5:30 pm. Wind?? Why I saw a chicken lay the same ege 3 times! lmao.gif

Great to see everyone. Great planning by all that worked so hard to make it happen.

Needed tyres to make it home from Ft Collins. Beemers and More did a fine job and were open on Mon too clap.gif

I guess payback is a --tch, I'm sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck to haul my Snap-On truck to the trans shop. The Allison just quit working. This will be $$$$$$$. Tow is $500 just to start with, frown.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Hope to see some of you at the UN. clap.gifclap.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
I've ever seen them, especially in Nebraska. Knappy, Drew and I managed to stay upright the whole ride, but it was iffy every time were passed a truck. My whole body aches.

Wind. smile.gif Ditto what Ron said.

You guys apparently were just a few hours ahead of me; I ran through eastern Nebraska yesterday afternoon, and hit the same brutal winds. Worst ever, bar none.

Anyhow...

The Odyssey is over. frown.gif

Joe Frickin Friday rolled into his driveway at 7 PM, safe and sound. Thought I might run out of gas - something like 280 miles since last fillup - but no problem.

In contrast to past events, I'd like to post an actual Ride Tale this time, pouring out my observations and feelings over the past twelve days. It's going to take a while, and maybe an engineer's got no business trying to be a writer, but we'll see how it turns out. Stay tuned. Gonna take it one day at a time (literally). thumbsup.gif

"What a long, strange trip it's been..." ooo.gif

So far I've made it to Greenfield, Indiana (just outside Indianapolis). Tomorrow (thrs), it's Olean NY, then home to Ottawa on Friday. So far I've managed to outrun the thunderstorms.

However, I pulled one of those classic moves today. Upon arriving at the main entrance of the Holiday Inn Express, after a 550 mile ride from St. Joseph, Missouri, I promptly shut off the bike and dismounted -- only to discover I had neglected to put down the side stand. D'oh!! Oh well, luckily one of the four people who witnessed this great move helped me up with the bike. No visible damage (it was let down gently) -- got to love the RT.

steveknapp

In contrast to past events, I'd like to post an actual Ride Tale this time, pouring out my observations and feelings over the past twelve days.

You OK Mitch? That was some bad wind...but you OK?

Home safe and sound. My rear tire however, sadly, did not survive it's encounter with highway 50. It is like totally shredded after 4 hours of cruising at triple digit speeds.

Cheers!

Todd smirk.gif

Lone_RT_rider
In contrast to past events, I'd like to post an actual Ride Tale this time, pouring out my observations and feelings over the past twelve days.

He's been kind of emotional lately... you know, like the one Star Trek episode...when Spock got emotions..

I am sure it will pass... tongue.gif

Shawn

He's been kind of emotional lately... you know, like the one Star Trek episode...when Spock got emotions..

I am sure it will pass... tongue.gif

Shawn

lmao.gif

Which one? The "All Our Yesterdays" one or the "This Side of Paradise" one?? lmao.gif

Personally, I can't wait for the Ride Tale/Proceedings Transcript! grin.giflurker.gif

DavidEBSmith

Freakin' wind. 3 days of freakin' wind. If I ever think about riding across the Great Plains again, somebody shoot me. I was wishing it would rain so that maybe the raindrops could block some of the wind.

Last week I read a book about the tallgrass prairies, and it mentioned how early pioneers would sometimes be driven mad by the wind on the plains because it just never stopped. I know the feeling.

Still on the road! Had to stop in Tulsa, OK for new set of tires. Put a new set on just before leaving for Torrey, however after 5,500 miles the great riding there was not much tread left on!

Enjoyed the fantastic fellowship and great roads around Torrey! Had a great day today riding minor roads across northern Arkansas on the new tires!

I'm in Dyersburg, TN tonight. Plan on riding minor roads across northwestern TN, southwestern KY, and through WV over then next 2 days. Should be back in DC by late Friday with approximately 7.5K for the trip.

I'll post again once I'm home.

Paul Mihalka

Surprise, surprise, you needed tires grin.gif. May be riding with me would have slowed you down enough to make them last smirk.gif . Happy for you that you are having a good ride. Want to hear about it when you are back! thumbsup.gif

Not quite home yet, working my way in that direction! I'm visiting my folks tonight in Cheyenne, WY then will head for Lander tomorrow EARLY so I can be back at my desk for a few hours prior to the Memorial Day Weekend.

I had a great time at Torrey, met new friends, spent time with old ones. Thanks again everyone who helped put this together! It was very nice to meet Glenno's family.

Doug

We just got home....4237 miles.

BTW....for you Hill Country folks.....It's still raining in Kerrville...and only in Kerrville.

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Whip

Firefight911
BTW....for you Hill Country folks.....It's still raining in Kerrville...and only in Kerrville.

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Would someone please call a cloud plumber!!! There seems to be a leak. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Just got in the door at 3:00 p.m. this aftrenoon (Friday). All is well. Had a great time. Thanks to all who helped arrange things.

Home safely but with a massive cramp in my neck from bucking stunning crosswinds the last 310 miles! I knew it was strong when I stopped for a break and the gusts almost blew the bike off the sidestand while it was leaning into the wind! tongue.gif These are screen captures from some of the WyDOT weather stations I passed.

WYDOT Atmospherics for Arlington (I-80)

25-MAY-07 01:25:06pm

Wind gust 50 mph

Wind average 29 mph

Wind direction W

WYDOT Atmospherics for Bitter Creek (I-80)

25-MAY-07 01:01:30pm

Wind gust 38 mph

Wind average 31 mph

Wind direction W

WYDOT Atmospherics for Beaver Rim (East of Lander)

25-MAY-07 01:02:30pm

Wind gust 33 mph

Wind average 29 mph

Wind direction W

So, when's the next ride??? thumbsup.gif

Doug

Doug, what's a little wind among friends? Glad you're home in one piece. Luckily I was one step ahead of the storm front the whole way. Yesterday they were reporting hail the size of softballs, and baseballs. Glad I missed that.

Yeah, Mark, glad you're back safely! I was in a hailstorm of tennis ball-sized stones once, it completely destroyed my brand new pickup truck! I can't imagine getting hit by one of those when on a scooter....

The wind was relentless, and out on the High Plains there's no shelter or cover. It took a massive dose of Crown Royal to make my neck feel all better. thumbsup.gif

Doug

Sir_Rodney

Arrived home Tuesday late afternoon, brutal south wind all the way across KS. After being away from home for 2 weeks my honey do list and work schedule had built up so just now checking the board. dopeslap.gif

Arrived home about 1 hour ago. Fantastic trip! Thank you! Than you! ... to Paul Milhalka (Old Fart) who encouraged me to make the trip; to Rich Elardo (mrzoom) for his knowledge of the Colorado - Utah roads, lodging, and good food places that made the trip easy and relaxing for me; and to Killer and all those who had any part in making this this spring Torrey a huge success!

I had great weather the entire 14 days on the road! Never put on any rain gear. The southern route home across northern NM, OK, AK, and TN on 2 lane roads proved to be fast and enjoyable!

I put on new tires in Tulsa, OK. First stopped at a large Honda dealer but no tires in my sizes. They called around and found a set of Metzler 880's for me at a local all purpose cycle shop. Paul Mihalka had suggested I try the 880's for the trip so I was happy to give them a try. They seemed to handle just as well as any of my previous tires in the twisty roads of KT and WV and should last longer than the 5.5K I generally get out of any set of tires.

I stayed in Corbin, KT 2 nights ago and then used the GPS to stay on remote 2 lane roads through southwestern KT and up through WV. Stayed last night in Boyer, WV in a small motel/campground where I happened upon a large group (40 - 50) BMW riders mostly from the Richman, VA area.

Took a leasurely 5 hour ride again this morning using the GPS to stay on minor roads I had never been on before as I worked my way back home.

Finished the trip with 7,077 miles over the 14 days on the road. Fantastic!

The last 50 miles into DC brought me back to the reality of the big city and unbelievable traffic! The Unrally and El Paseo can't get here soon enough!

Thanks to all for fellowship! I will hope to get back to another Torrey gathering soon! thumbsup.gif

Steve_Reinig

Bill Rathbone and I took the long way home. I arrived home yesterday at noon. The journey not only included visiting the parks in Utah, and riding through Colorado but also a sheared off shift lever. Luckily a $10.00 weld had me back on the road!!!

I arrived all the way home Friday, after three days lay-over in Tahoe.

I have some observations I'd like to share, and invite thoughts/comments.

Leaving Torrey last Monday out hwy 24 west, I happened to look into the windshield of an on-coming pickup and noticed a hand raised in a friendly wave. I waved back and wondered "Who the heck was that?!" That caught my attention, and, as I continued on, I watched other oncoming cars: ... another wave, another, and another. These seemed to be coming from people I assumed were locals (perhaps they were glad to see me leaving? confused.gifgrin.gif) - no waves from cars with out-of-state plates, motorhomes, etc., people who were obviously NOT locals. I wondered: how many of these friendly waves from these fine folks had I not returned, over time, because of not watching for/noticing them?! You really have to look to see them, not as easily noticed as from another motorcycle.

I resolved to watch for these waves, when in the area, and return as many as I can, as with motorcyclists. Perhaps you would consider doing so also? Besides being a friendly gesture, it could be a simple way to build some goodwill with these folks! thumbsup.gif

Peter grin.gif

It's customary here as you discovered to wave to everybody, the traditional Wayne County "men's" wave is just to raise one or two fingers from the steering wheel. I usually don't know who I'm waving to and it can be hard to see through the windshield anyway so I wave to everybody, tourists and locals. It's another small thing I like about being here, of course I think it's not uncommon in many rural areas, when I took the back roads across Kansas a couple of years ago everybody waved, either their hands or a shotgun.

It's another small thing I like about being here, of course I think it's not uncommon in many rural areas, when I took the back roads across Kansas a couple of years ago everybody waved, either their hands or a shotgun.
Why would anyone want to wave a shotgun at you, Killer? Heck, they prolly don't even know yer a foreigner at that point. lmao.giflmao.gif

Even though I wasn't technically at the Un-rally I thought that I had better check in with Killer...we made it home...rather than a F150, the RT would rather have had pavement under it's wheels for the ride home (major driveline troubles - will be posting in the wrenchin section)

Thanks Killer for the hospitality and the night time rescue of some cold campers, my baby brother would have froze them jewels grin.gif

Whip and Mrs. Whip...nice to meet you and hopefully someday we will be able to ride together (I appreciated your story about Idaho cool.gif)...oh yeah and Whip, thanks for the advice, "If it were mine I would ride it off a cliff"...sure felt like it the next day...kind of got the blues after riding 1800 Km's and then having a meltdown...oh very well, the canyons will just be that much deeper next year!

I really enjoyed the area and am making plans with my SO for next year, I think that she will like Sweeper Madness!

Jeff

Just left Roydog007 at the Samoa Cookhouse in Calif., He's riding south to home in L.A. , and I rode into Oregon and home tonite... May Torrey Rocked, just as Glenno envisioned.

Just got home, 5554 miles later, I took the scenic route grin.gif

Excellent ride both Torrey and afterward with Tank.

Ride tale to follow as soon as I get settled back in

Thanks, Tank thumbsup.gif

Happy birthday Tank, great day for being born!

Uh...... thanks Smokey, uh, only me remembers it to be on the 27th of June, not May... BUT this gives me the right to celebrate for a hole month clap.gifclap.gif Thanks

• 3 months later...

HOME safe!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I had a GREAT time! thumbsup.gif It was wonderful meeting so many riders for first time, and seeing some familar faces.

I look forward to attending Torry again. clap.gif..... What an event thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif.... (what a ride grin.gif )

I had a GREAT time! thumbsup.gif It was wonderful meeting so many riders for first time, and seeing some familar faces.

I look forward to attending Torry again. clap.gif..... What an event thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif.... (what a ride grin.gif )

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Got to be a record in there somewhere......

Great Job!!!!

I've seen the blog!!!......When you gonna do the Ride Tale????????????

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Whip

Gee,The last one home..Now I can sleep at night,,Your to funny lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Gee,The last one home..Now I can sleep at night,,Your to funny lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif
Oh that's just NOT RIGHT!!!!! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

I was wondering who dug up this thread... only to find out I was wrong - this is exactly where you should be posting that.

Glad you had such a great trip.

Same time next year?

Archived