IGNORED

Spring Torrey Check-In

flyingreg

Les is more

It's quite a saga but I'll try to keep it short.

It was so great to be back on the bike for the 1st time since December. The 400 or so miles to Terri's felt sweet. Evidently they were hotter and more taxing than I thought. I was whupped and my heart was not happy. All was well the next AM on a fun ride past the lake and on to Cedar City. When we got to Cedar City all was not well so Jamie and I holed up there for the night. I felt good again the next morning, so it was off to Torrey and Killer's. I really enjoyed visiting with those I got to see and hug but just before the BBQ, I knew I had had enough and went back to Bob's for a lie down. My usually goofy heart was crazier than usual. I drank my weight in Gatoraid and water and things calmed down as I fell asleep. Sunday morning, I was better but far from feeling red hot. Killer stepped up and loaned us his truck for the drive home. They loaded Jamie's bike into the back. Bob will ride my bike to San Diego next week to trade it out for his (slightly improved smile.gif) truck--can't thank you enough Bob!!!!!!! Jamie and I drove through the park to see the spectacular flowers and the back to the 12, eventually to take the 14 to Cedar City to eat dinner. Just as I finished my dinner, things went south and it was soon clear that I was back in atrial fibrillation bncry.gif Off we went to the Cedar City ER where they threw me on the monitor and confirmed A-fib. We opted to come home for treatment with a side of Toprol (beta blocker) to go. That got my ventricular rate under control and I slept off and on as my personal paramedic, sweetheart, best friend and ironman all in one drove us home. We left Cedar City at 9:30 PM PDT and got home at about About 9;00 AM. That include a breakfast stop and a little irondriver nap in a rest area. We went to our doctor expecting the worst--an ER visit, possible hospital admission and another cardioversion. In the car, my heart was racing. I closed my eyes to calm myself down and took another check of my pulse about 5 mins. from the Dr's office. I'll be!!! I was back in a normal sinus rhythm!!! eek.gifeek.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif. The doc confirmed that, set me up for some other screenings and sent us home. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

That my dear friends, is how we got home from Torrey. I'm so sorry to have missed meeting and spending time with so many of you. I guess we'll just have to try again. Hey! Maybe some of you could make it to San Diego for the Techdaze and 1st Responder Course!!

Hi Everyone

Rolled in to Huntington Beach at 12:30 this afternoon from Primm, Nevada where I saw several familar faces from the Torrey adventure. What a fantastic trip!! It was a pleasure meeting so many of you I have had conversations with online for the past year. See you guys on the road soon I hope. More on the trip later.

I got home at 4:30 this afternoon. Rode a total of 3076 miles in a little over 5 days.

It was a great trip and one I will not soon forget. Thanks Eric! Thanks Howard! You two are the best.

thumbsup.gif

Pictures and a story in a few days.

+1 on the wind factor...Hit BIG wind on the ET hwy(NV375)...gusts so bad(combined with recent chip seal on the road) when I stopped at Rachel for a lunch, my bike wouldn't stand on its own..had to find it shelter behind a house trailer..then when I ordered lunch(decided to skip the beer)the total came to $6.66...I knew I was in for all it was worth then...the next 110 miles to NV6 was worse. Saw zero vehicles in this stretch. When I hooked up with NV6, I thought I could relax..The wind was ok thru the passes, but at desert floor elevations, the dust devils were happening full force.These were southwest to northeast winds. Managed to make it to Tonopah, where I called it a day!

Rolled thru Yosemite today and home at 2:30p

Forgot to mention I hooked up with a racing friend at the junction of NV318 and 375. He had just finished racing his McLaren in the Silver State Classic..90 miles from Nv6 to NV93,,,his avg speed was 138.

Many thanks to all who made the event happen...

Great meeting some of you, didn't get to meet as many as I should.

Mama Hoon.. I didn't get a hug, did I need to ask?

Special thanks to BarryNmarin for being a mentor of sorts.

We hooked up on the highway and he made it all easy.

Thanks to all, see you again, MB> thumbsup.gif

sorry to have missed you all even though we were a county away smile.gif

i'm in grand junciton, co right now. heading home tomorrow (and in the car too).

Just walked in the door as well. Had a great ride to Boulder City with Fernando and Marco and cruzed back home this morning. Had a great time with old friends (or should I say family) and met new ones as well. Got to ride with some old friends and some new (what a blast!!). It was a difficult, but wonderful Torrey. See you all in the fall if not before!!

Hello to all-

Finally got in about 3:30 this afternoon after a leisurely trip down from Bishop this morning. Thank you all for a great experience- as a now former Torrey noob, I see that it is really a piece of Paradise.

Special times- can't wait until the next opportunity.

thumbsup.gif

ericfoerster

How are those tires holding up. I know you were documenting the tread deterioration with photos every time we stopped. Have you reached the steel belts yet?

I'll let you make the call on this blush.gif

aok.jpg

PhillyFlash

I see you still had a couple hundred miles left on them. grin.gif

I did my part to help them last. I don't think you were on the center of the tread for more than a couple of seconds coming through the red rock canyon and the next 25 miles or so. I hope Greg's tires didn't do any worse.

So, ya gonna give the bike back to your dad as is? lmao.gif

Hi everybody. Rodger and I made it home at 1pm today after spending Sunday in Mesquite. As always had a wonderful time seeing everyone. I missed you Lisa. Can't wait for september.

Later, Rodger and Sue

Les is more
Mama Hoon.. I didn't get a hug, did I need to ask?

Sorry! I was a little off my feed. You held out your hand and like a dope, I shook it instead of pulling you in for a hug--not my usual style. I owe you!!

Couchrocket

Couchrocket home at 5:45 today. GREAT time! Good to meet some new folk, and great to see some old friends.

A little breezy coming across the desert today, but a fine ride otherwise.

Lone_RT_rider

In Carthage, TN. Almost 900 today in about 12 hours. I pledged not to ride after dark on the ride home this time. I was spotting many dead deer on the side of I-24 so I decided to stick by my pledge and call it a night. 300 left to go. Hopefully home tomorrow by 1 PM. smile.gif

Shawn

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

Got home last night around 6:45 after a fantastic ride down to Tucson via Glenn Canyon, Show Low, and Globe with JohnLT, Bakes, and soon to be, yellow jacket. What a fantastic finale to a superb weekend. I only wish that we all weren't so spread out so that I could have met more of you. Well, I guess that's what Torrey XIV is for.

See you then. thumbsup.gif

P.S. Thanks to all of you for the wonderful pics. I was a little handicapped in that regard, so I really appreciate all of the pictures that have been posted.

Marty Hill

Eric,

I'd say you had about 20 miles left. eek.gif

I'm in boise, id. Tomorrow up to lewiston on some great roads then back down to joseph, or. grin.gif

Got home at 5pm. Took two long days.

Woke up this morning in McCall Idaho, there was half an inch of snow on my bike! It was snowing lightly, but not sticking to the ground, so I was side-stand up at 6:45.

Ten minutes later I was going down this canyon road with an inch of snow on the road, and I was gingerly staying in the tire tracks of cars ahead of me. Real pucker moment for about 5 miles.

Nice to be home, 2000 km. in two days, too much freeway getting through Salty City.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Scott and I are alive and well in Las Vegas baby!

That place is never going to be the same. I can tell already.

Oh, by the way, I'm home. The pavement is no where near as fun as the dirt...

In at 10:55am after following Eff Bee from Primm. Little late checking in, got home to a garage full of new kitchen appliances.

Thanks to everyone!

Joe Frickin' Friday
In Carthage, TN. Almost 900 today in about 12 hours. I pledged not to ride after dark on the ride home this time. I was spotting many dead deer on the side of I-24 so I decided to stick by my pledge and call it a night. 300 left to go. Hopefully home tomorrow by 1 PM. smile.gif

Shawn

A pretty good pace, dude. cool.gif

I'm at my sister's house in Boulder now. Should be back in AA in two days. thumbsup.gif

Jacqueline
Thought I would get this on the board seein' how I had some free time today. Please post here when you arrive home so family, friends and riding partners will know you have made it home safe and sound.

"When you arrive home"...... look for my post sometime in October grin.gif.

Had a GREAT time thumbsup.gif. Thank you for the time and engery everyone put into this event! clap.gifclap.gif

The Whip's are still in Torrey.

Where did y'all go?????

Why did ya leave??????

It looks like it's gonna snow!!!!!!!

It sure is quiet around here.

Hey Killer..... where did ya say that other bottle of Scotch is????

We miss y'all.

Whip

JerryMather

Got to work at 11am after feeding Wurty in Mojave because he spent all his dough on stuff from some of you guys in Torrey, thank god he had a gas card. dopeslap.gif

Had a great time as always and thanks you guys for coming up and making this one special. My Crest Krew are all blown away by this place and you'll be seeing more of them come fall. They're already planning on picking up different bikes to do it again.

We might just do a trackday up a Miller Speedway before hand and truck our killer bikes down there just to see ya afterwarrds. How do ya think our race slicks will do running over those tar snakes. lmao.gif

BeniciaRT_GT

Home just in time to shower and head to work.

Made it to work with 2 minutes to spare!!!

I hope to be able to catch up with the board in the next couple of days!

What an incredible Torrey, Gleno was sure smiling as it was everything he would have wanted!

Thanks to all of you for being there to entertain me!!!

yellojakit

It was a great pleasure meeting the vast multitude of experienced riders, and the kindness brought forth to a newcomer like myself was second to none. I can't believe the condition of the roads, NO GRAVEL??? How do we import that to Wisconsin? Next time I have to bring a bigger bike so I can keep pace with the majority of you...Yes, I was the one with the dakar...Until next time...

Regards,

Vic Ivanovic/yellojakit clap.gif

It was a great pleasure meeting the vast multitude of experienced riders, and the kindness brought forth to a newcomer like myself was second to none. Next time I have to bring a bigger bike so I can keep pace with the majority of you...Yes, I was the one with the dakar...Until next time,

Regards,

Vic Ivanovic/yellojakit clap.gif

It was cool meeting you. Drop me a PM if you are going to be around this weekend man. I think Howard and I may for a little ride.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

yellojakit

Man, I wish I could...headed back to Chi-town tomorrow. Won't come back til Sept. or so...Safe riding...and I'll check back with you then and perhaps we can hook up for some of those off-road adventures you mentioned earlier. Don't forget to look me up if you're in Illinois or Wisconsin...

Regards,

vic thumbsup.gif

Rolled into the garage at 2150 hours. 11 Hrs. 46 Mins. 790 miles. Had a rough start this morning in Torrey, so ended up leaving late at 9:21 PST. The winds were humming from just past Caliente all the way to Tehachapi. Across the Mojave, the wind was down right vicious, it was all I could do to keep the bike on the road. Lost the low beam some time during the day, prolly from me and the bike being beaten to death for hours by the winds. Rode the last two hours in the dark using the driving lights. Too much traffic to use the PIAA's or high beam.

A truly great Torrey gathering, so many new faces. I hope everyone comes back for the next one, I'll sure be there!

Time to go and soak my wrist in a bucket of ice! dopeslap.gif

We're home!

But not without incident.

Ticket in Utah. Damn you Torrey and your 3 digit speeds!!!! Non stop head and cross winds all the way from Utah to the the 15 in CA where it goes down the hill into the basin.

We got doused with gas in Richfield, UT when the gas nozzle came out of the filler in both our mouths and my eyes and all over our clothes and bike.

Mirror popped off in AZ after going over big dips. It was tethered this time.

Stopped to put warm clothes on in Barstow where I found my lights would not turn off anymore... Nothing would turn off the headlight. More stuff to fix....

To top it all off I no longer have a cell phone! It never made it home with me. So I can only hope it's at Bob's house or the place we stayed.

And the kicker is we got home on a sweetly rigged front brake line that worked only on disc!

Pics of that to follow later.

Loved Torrey except for how it ended for us... but hey we're home.

russell_bynum
We're home!

Ticket in Utah. Damn you Torrey and your 3 digit speeds!!!! Non stop head and cross winds all the way from Utah to the the 15 in CA where it goes down the hill into the basin.

We got doused with gas in Richfield, UT when the gas nozzle came out of the filler in both our mouths and my eyes and all over our clothes and bike.

Stopped to put warm clothes on in Barstow where I found my lights would not turn off anymore... Nothing would turn off the headlight. More stuff to fix....

To top it all off I no longer have a cell phone! It never made it home with me. So I can only hope it's at Bob's house or the place we stayed.

And the kicker is we got home on a sweetly rigged front brake line that worked only on disc!

Glad you two made it home. Sounds like a real adventure.

eek.gif

Got home Sunday 12 hours from Torrey. We, John,Rich, Vic and myself rode together. The Mookie Dugway (sp.?) was guite the sight except from the bottom when you can't see any road! Cool! I want to thank everyone who I met for making this an unforgetable weekend. With the ride up to pay tribute to Gino and camaraderie of all that was very special for a newcomer. I'm already booked at the Chuckwagon for Sept.

Mark clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

StretchMark

In at 3am this morning. A very long trip, but well worth the effort!! What an amazing place. We have thousands of pictures to process.

Thanks to Fernando and Killer and everyone else who made it such a great event. The Gleno ceremony was very moving. We would not have missed it for anything.

The riding with Howard, Russell, Tool, Sam, Limecreek and Norah was most definitely the highlight. Thanks for leading us around!

Pics and Ride Tale later. Must pretend to be at work. frown.gif

We're home!

Tony_K

Wow maybe it was a good thing we didn't hook up to ride together. Sounds like the gremlins were working overtime. Glad you made it home safe and sound.

n&g

Sorry to hear of the misadventure. Was good to see you two again.

PhillyFlash
In at 3am this morning.

Wow! You guys did pretty good getting from Durango to Atlanta in only a day and a half. You must drive like you ride. grin.gif

It was great showing you and Christine 72, 12, and the Burr Trail. I think you caught on to why we like riding the Torrey area so much. Hope you're able to come back and do it again. Next time, you get to lead. smile.gif

Calvin  (no socks)

Just arrived home... I had a very hard time leaving early... but alas, I had a long way to return... Thanks to all that made it a special event... I got the Tattoo to prove it...Calvin

Doralyn and I took the scenic route home to avoid SLC and rode some great roads on the way. Took two days to get home and arrived about 6 PM on Monday.

Had a great time. Thanks to all those who contributed to organizing the event.

We arrived saely home yesterday at 12:30. Easy cruise home from St.George after an easy day yesterday.

Took 12 to Panquitch where we ran into Jerry Mather and Dennis (Tool). They led us up 143 to Mammouth Lake road then onto 14. Very nice roads at a spirited pace. My lowly GS was straining to keep up with the K-bikes.

It was great seeing everyone and meeting lot's on new folks. Then's plan on renewing the bench racing in September.

Ride Safe,

Still not home but continuing along as planned. I left Torrey on Sunday morning and rode Highway 50 to Reno. I expected a boring straight ugly road and was pleasantly surprised with a pretty scenic road most of the way. Great weather - not too hot or windy - and virtually no traffic. Unlike some of you hoons, I stayed under triple digits although it was pretty tempting in some spots. Although this is called Americas loneliest road, it didn't feel as desolate as much of route 66.

Monday rode on to Anderson CA. Great riding through the mountains with some great shots of Mt Shasta in the distance. (I would have taken some pics but I dropped my camera in Torrey and it didn't make it).

This morning I am at Rick Mayer's having a seat made. Anything will be better than the stock torture rack that I have been on for the last few days and 1500+ miles.

Torrey was great - my first time and certainly not my last. Hope everyone enjoyed it.

Lone_RT_rider
A pretty good pace, dude. cool.gif

I even stopped for lunch yesterday to. I had a crispy chicken sandwich in your honor. grin.gifthumbsup.gif

I am home! I made it here at 12:30 PM without issue. Fernando, you were correct. I had at least another 1000 miles left on the tires when I got home. Amazing how well tires wear when your not going at "Torrey" pace... smile.gif

Shawn

Made it home at 11:00pm last nite (monday). The trip out of Utah was good. Ran into snow, wind and rain in Idaho. Hail, rain, and WIND in Montana. Wind and rain in Alberta. Two hours and 45 minutes to get through customs at Sweetgrass. Other than that, the trip was perfect!

Met some swell folks and appreciate all the hard work of Killer, Fernando and others who organized the event.

The bike ran flawlessly. Hope to see you all again.

jUST gOT iN..4:00 amidst all the 40 freakin' mph southern wind all the way thru Kansas and all the way thru Nebraska and all the way thru Iowa..!!

Daaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg..!

Just got in about 1/2 hour ago. The Great Plaines winds were worse than I've ever seen them, especially in Nebraska. Knappy, Drew and I managed to stay upright the whole ride, but it was iffy every time were passed a truck. My whole body aches. I jumped in the shower, then opened a Negra Modelo. Ahh, life is good! Torrey is good! You all are good!

It was great to see all off you! clap.gif

Bill_Walker

In an attempt to avoid the heat of Las Vegas and environs, Tom (my computer-illiterate buddy) and I hooked up with Heck and left Torrey Sunday AM. Took 50 across to Ely, 6 to Tonopah and onward. Split up at Benton, CA, where Heck took the low road and Tom and I took the high road, up 120. Spent the night in Lee Vining, then went through Yosemite, over to the SF Bay, over the hill to Santa Cruz, and down Highway 1 past Cambria (worst Hwy 1 traffic Tom's ever seen on a weekday, bleh!), then up to Tom's in Paso Robles. Jaunted home to San Diego today.

Tom had a great first Torrey, and it clearly won't be his last! I had a wonderful time as usual. It was great to see so many of you, and I'm sorry I missed meeting so many of you, too!

Thanks to Killer for a job well done.

steveknapp

I've ever seen them, especially in Nebraska. Knappy, Drew and I managed to stay upright the whole ride, but it was iffy every time were passed a truck. My whole body aches.

Wind. smile.gif Ditto what Ron said.

Got home and had a call from the marina, they got my boat done early and put it in the slip for me. Had to run over there to make sure that wind wasn't pounding the boat into bits...tie it off right and put some fenders out to protect it.

We're home!

Hah! That sounds like our trip home from Torrey last year! I wouldn't wish that on anybody and am very glad you're both home safe!!

Hey Tank where are we again ?

Oh, ok were in Greats Falls, Montana.

All is well just a little cold rain and snow. Heading out of here tommorrow am to ?

wave.gif

Got home last night at 6:30. Had a great ride home with "Couchrocket" even with the wind in the dez. Great to see Carl there meet new friends and see others I met last Fall Torrey. Now back to uploading the 400 pic's I took!

Not quite there, yet. Visiting my son, Ben, in Spokane. Had to hole up in McCall, Idaho (State Motto: It's not just potatoes.) (Well, OK, it is just potatoes but they're very good.) because it started to snow. A perfect ending to a day of heavy rain and lightning through Salt Lake City then 70 mph wind right on the nose no matter which direction I was travelling. (Go figure!)

Hey, seriously, RT. 95 north out of Boise has got to be one of the coolest rides ever. Great fun. Lots of twisties, not too much traffic and the wild Payette and Little Salmon rivers to take one's attention away from the next heart-stopping twistie and the oncoming 18-wheeler.

I'll be home tomorrow.....if I don't get stupid(er).

THANKS BOB PALIN AND FB!

Marty Hill

Hey Doc,

I rode 55/95 out of boise today. Beautiful! Holed up in la grande, or. Portland tomorrow. thumbsup.gif

Archived