IGNORED

GPS mount for an R1100R

g_frank_nin

g_frank_nin

Hi I have an R1100R wondering what some of you used to install a GPS on your bike thumbsup.gif~ Pictures would be appreciated... Thanks

mikeR1100R

Hi Frank (do you go by Frank?),

I have a 98 R1100R and I can understand your dilemma. There just aren't too many ways to mount one. Gadgetguy.com has a couple of really fancy mounts for the R, but they are really pricey. I finally just went with the RAM mounting system. Cyclegadgets (of which I believe there is a link somewhere on this site) was very helpful in getting me set up. It just consists of a ball mount which I clamped to the handlebar, I believe I used a 5 inch extension arm, and a ball mount which screwed right on to the GPS motorcycle mount. I have a Garmin 2720. It isn't a real pretty setup, but it doesn't look too bad and was way cheaper than Gadgetguy. If I can get my wife or son to help me, I will try to PM you some pictures. My setup was complicated by the fact that I also have one of those Big Mak tankbags which tilts forward to access the fuel filler, so I couldn't mount the GPS in the center. Mine is on the right side of the handlebar. The RAM mounting system is easy to use. Good luck!

Check out the mount made by member Jakfrost, though made for an rt it could be that the triple tree center hole is the same size (wouldn't think bmw makes a different size cap for each model) its just a base to start a ram system on . You'll need a cradle with ram capability for whatever gps unit you have. But it solves a placment problem without being too obtrusive to other instrumentation or view imho. Dave

g_frank_nin

Hey, thanks Mike, I went ahead and ordered a RAM mount. I would still love to see your pictures when you get a chance... no need for me to re-invent the wheel if you know what I mean...

Daveco, thanks for the suggestion. I've never been good at fabricating things like your friend. If I did that it would probably look hokey and ruin the look of the bike. Thanks for the suggestion anyway! ~ Frank

Archived