IGNORED

Low Mileage RT

GordonB

An '01 RT w/ 21,000 miles;

Checked svc records, all dlr maintained, original owner.

My question is about the (dino) oil changes performed every 6,000 miles with almost 2yrs time between changes, is that harmful to the engine (the time factor)?

It seems the bike didn't sit, just didn't get out much.

g_frank_nin

If you think that’s bad… I just bought a 99' R1100R with only 1700 miles dopeslap.gif, I had the same concerns as you, also, also had additional concerns with perhaps some of the gaskets and/or rubber seals drying out because of lack of use and other problems related to non use… (like rust in inside the cylinder walls for example) but so far the only problem I’ve had was a clogged fuel filter, replaced it and the rubber hoses… bike is running just fine…

An '01 RT w/ 21,000 miles;

Checked svc records, all dlr maintained, original owner.

My question is about the (dino) oil changes performed every 6,000 miles with almost 2yrs time between changes, is that harmful to the engine (the time factor)?

It seems the bike didn't sit, just didn't get out much.

Gordon, no way to really tell without an engine teardown.. If the bike wasn’t stored with high acid or moisture content oil then no problem.. If the oil was full of combustion acid or moisture there is always the chance it slightly etched the crankshaft, camshaft, cyl walls, or other engine metals.. If it was run regularly with little usage each time probably no damage done as the oil will hold up pretty good (it’s long sitting without usage that hurts)

If the oil was changed before storage or the bike was stored inside or in a warm moisture free environment then probably no problems..

Twisty

Dan Gleebitz

When I bought my RT, it had done 18k miles in 5 years .... regular 6k miles servicing etc ... no problems / leaks ... no oil top ups between services now ... get on and ride

I would not be concerned in the least. 21,000 miles would be considered high miles for many 2001 bikes.

harleyjohn45

my R2000RT had 2800 miles when i bought it last december. it runs perfect. i will take a low milage bike every time and wear it out myself.

Archived