IGNORED

New Bike

wbrissette

wbrissette

Last summer I picked up a 2004 1150RT, it was my first bike in 17 years. Needless to say I've had a great time on it. My daughter (almost 9 YO) have gone on some neat day trips with the local BMW. However this has meant my wife had to stay home. So she decided that it was time for her to join us. She signed up for the MSF course, got her license and we picked up a used Buell Blast for her to learn on. Other than dropping it after turning to wide and running into a curb recently, she has been doing great on it.

Yesterday, we went to the local BMW dealer to pickup a shelf for my RT to mount my new GPS on and so she could buy a new helmet (during her curb incident, she managed to break the front vent and the wind noise was now intolerable). After buying the parts, she started sitting on some of their used bikes. I should have seen the warning signs when her eyes lit up and she made a bee line to a awesome 2004 R1150RA. She was able to flat foot the bike (thanks to the previous owner having short legs and lowering the bike) and she felt she could really handle this. I laughed a bit because she has always told me she never thought she would own a bike as "big as yours." I of course explained that the 1150RA had the same engine as the 1150RT and that it was for all intents and purposes the same bike but without all the plastic.

We left the dealership and made a few more stops, one being lunch. During our lunch she tried to come up with any reason she could think of to not buy the bike. The only one that really stood out was that it was the right bike, but not the right time, since she knows she really needs to ride the Buell a few more months to be more at ease with riding. But, having let an 850 slip through her fingers a few months ago, she called the dealership and put a hold on the bike until Tuesday.

On Tuesday, we go fill out the paperwork and bring her home.

http://www.lonestarcycle.com/uinv007.htm

Since she wants to keep this one in excellent shape, she is determined not to ride it for a few months. Since that's the case, I have agreed to throw myself on the grenade and help break it in. I know it's a tough job and somebody has to do it, but you know, I'm just that kind of guy to help out in situations like this.

Wayne

That is a seriously pretty bike. I know you're looking forward to family trips. You'll have the RT loaded up with gear, everybody loaded up, and be on the road in no time.

Has your daughter told you she wants the Buell when Mommie gets the RA?

Agreed - that bike sure is purdy.

You guys have the right idea of riding the other bike for a while longer. Let her get some more experience before setting out on the BMW. I'm sure that BMW is much heavier than the Buell, and once the bike starts to get away (while stopped), it is very hard to bring it back up.

Just a suggestion with her hitting the curb and taking a turn too wide...she might not be looking into the turn properly.

I'm glad I learned on a different bike before going for the RT thumbsup.gif

wbrissette
Just a suggestion with her hitting the curb and taking a turn too wide...she might not be looking into the turn properly.

It was just before dawn, and the lighting on street was very poor. The Buell Blast headlight isn't much help. I'm sure there were other factors involved (new rider, still not quite awake -- not enough coffee), and looking into the turn is definitely also on the list. I tried not to make a big deal about it. The parts for the Buell to repair were cheap (broken turn signal, shifter, and horn mount), which is another reason to stay on the Buell. Dropping that BMW is going to cost me a lot more than $60.00 to repair if anything breaks. Plus she is just now starting to feel comfortable on the Buell.

Wayne

Yeah it is best not to make a big deal about it.

I hope you took my comment of not looking thru the turn as trying to be helpful

That is a really pretty bike! What great family fun and adventure! You did the right thing to not make a big deal of the curb. I can not tell you how many times I fell and busted stuff when I started many years ago. I was also caught off guard by the weight/tipping point and power brakes on my RT! A 0 speed lay over in a blink. It might be a good idea to put down a blanket and have her feel the tipping point and lay it over several times to just get the feeling and were it is! Enjoy your family fun! clap.gif

wbrissette
I hope you took my comment of not looking thru the turn as trying to be helpful

I know you were trying to be helpful. She agrees with you, by the way. She thinks she probably wasn't looking through the turn. It's one of those things they teach you at MSF, but it takes more than two days of practice until it becomes second nature. Experienced riders do a lot of stuff just as second nature that inexperienced riders don't even recognize. That's why riding looks "easy" to people.

Anyhow, you comments were not taken in the wrong light. thumbsup.gif

Wayne

Wayne, are you kidding!!! Buy that bike for her right now!!!

I can't even get my wife to sit on my bike. After a 24 year sabaticle (? sp.) with no BMW I got married, had and raised kids and strained my neck every time a BMW was within sight. A small tear running down my cheek.

Then as fortune would shine. She decided when her lease was up on the SUV that she wanted a sports car. So we purchased a new Solstice for her. Her, knowing full well that I would be running that car the way it should be run. Sans, very quickley around corners. "Dear this car was built to go fast around corners. This car is very sad when it's not driven fast around corners!" She decided that she wouldn't let me drive it!! (May have been the tiny scratch I put in the door when we got it home)

Being the opportunist that I am. "Then I get to have a toy too!!" Enter Nubb, 96 R1100RT.

I digress, I would give my left one if my wife would want and ride her own bike!!!

Buy that R for her today!!!!!! clap.gif

ISYHTRAH

wbrissette
Buy that R for her today!!!!!!

Fear not... The deposit was put down on Saturday while she thought about it. All the decisions have been made and we'll pick it up on Tuesday with the shop opens. cool.gif

Wayne

swmckinley

Great bike and a great dealer, the folks at Lone Star are great to work with.......however I noticed that the bike has 18K on it so I don't think the bike needs any break in.....but hey I won't tell your wife.

wbrissette

Borrowing an idea, here are photos from our newest family edition...

P1010791.jpg

P1010786.jpg

P1010788.jpg

And the happy new owner:

P1010792.jpg

Wayne

wbrissette
Nice Bike,,New rider,Id put some crash bars on it,,Valve covers arnt cheep

That's the reason that we're keeping the Buell for a while. She doesn't plan on riding this bike for a while. She thinks six months. I figure by August she'll want to dump the Buell and go with the BMW full time.

Wayne

Its not if you go down,Its when you go down!!!Ive been riding for 40 years,And i still go down..A broken valve cover we kill a trip real fast,,I put a hole in one going down at 10 mph,Id hate to tell you I told you so dopeslap.gif

Archived