IGNORED

07 K1200GT throttle

GTman

I test rode a new K12GT this week. I sold my 04 K12GT in august last year so it's been 9 months since I've been on a bike. What struck me right off is how loose the throttle tension is and how fast the RPM's go up compared to my old bike. I'd really like to have one of the new one's. I don't want to go back to something that only has half a side case/pressure cooker grin.gif on the left side. Nor do I want all the wind protection of an RT.

I was starting to adjust to it in the 45 minutes I had it out but was wondering if there's anything that can be done to put more tension on the throttle? It was real quick to jump up over 3,000 RPM by barely touching the throttle on start off. Bumps in the road made it surge because my hand moved the throttle position.

Lets_Play_Two
I test rode a new K12GT this week. I sold my 04 K12GT in august last year so it's been 9 months since I've been on a bike. What struck me right off is how loose the throttle tension is and how fast the RPM's go up compared to my old bike. I'd really like to have one of the new one's. I don't want to go back to something that only has half a side case/pressure cooker grin.gif on the left side. Nor do I want all the wind protection of an RT.

I was starting to adjust to it in the 45 minutes I had it out but was wondering if there's anything that can be done to put more tension on the throttle? It was real quick to jump up over 3,000 RPM by barely touching the throttle on start off. Bumps in the road made it surge because my hand moved the throttle position.

I think it is a matter of just getting used to it. Every bike needs a level of familiarity for riding comfort. Now when I ride my girl friend's 650GS I stall it at least once because I don't give it enough throttle. And the H-D feels like a real pig!!!

ShovelStrokeEd

Throttle response, when compared to your old K motor, is pretty abrupt on these things, much lighter crankshaft and now flywheel to boot. I had the same issues when I first got my Blackbird. I installed a Throttlemeister and set if for just a bit of drag on the throttle, not enough to hold but enough to slow the response. A larger diameter grip might help as well.

I think it does depend on what you're used to. I moved from an '04 Honda ST 1300 A to an '07 K 1200 GT. The Honda had a very twitchy throttle but I got used to it. The K 1200 GT has much better and smoother throttle response compared to the Honda, I think.

When I first got my GT there was a lot of play on the throttle, I took it to the dealership they tightened up the slack it was a lot better and the throttle response was great.

Much of what you sense, is the greatly reduced inertia of the motor. It simply takes a lot less throttle to blip the motor to the redline. The only way to "fix" that is to hang a bloody big flywheel on it. grin.gif

You cannot overrev the motor; it has ignition cutout before that happens.

But as others have said, you will soon get used to it, and once you do, your 04GT's brick motor will feel like there is something wrong with it.

Well I went ahead with the purchase. clap.gif I rode home on a 07 blue demo bike on Friday. It had 596 miles on it and the first service has already been done. The discount for it being a demo along with the $500 free gear was enough to get some goodies added on. I got a large top case and bags for all 3 cases.

It didn't take long at all for me to stop revving the engine on start off. My shifts are getting smoother, not consistent but improving. I've had a couple come off so smooth I had to look to see that I had actually hit the next gear. I think the throttle may have a little more free play than it needs. I'll have to see if they can tweak it a little for me. This is such a different bike than my old GT. It's great!

CONGRATS!! I'm jealous! Actually, I'm in the middle of convincing myself I need to replace my good old K100RT with a new GT. The GT is some piece of machinery! thumbsup.gif

Archived