Metric torque wrench...

jakfrost

I'm here in Dallas, Embassy Suites Outdoor World, (Yea, baby...), for a week long course and was wondering if any of you Texas types might suggest a brand, model, location to purchase a metric (as in Newton Meters) torque wrench for use on my R12RT. Since the lock nuts on the valve adjusters are 8Nm it would have to be something in the, say, 5Nm to 50Nm range...I have a 'dial type' 3/8" drive at home but it it damn difficult to read the dial when doing something like the oil drain plug tongue.gif.

I have a couple of mornings free to 'shop' somewhere besides the Bass Pro Shop grin.gif. Besides, having driven here on the bike, (1900 miles) I can't lug anything toooo big home confused.gif.

Thanks,

Jim W.

Lincoln_Faller

The Sears click-type torque wrenches I have are calibrated in both scales, one above the other, and I just use the one for NMs.

bmurphypdx

Or you could do as I did, Google

Nm torque conversion

and there are a multitude of online calculators that will do the conversion from Nm to ft-lbs.

Yea, I figured Craftsman would have something...I have a calculator and it can do the x.74 thing pretty well...

My main concern is the 'clicker' types vary a lot in accuracy. One of those times when the 'you get what you pay for' saying probably applies.

Being into accuracy has it burdens tongue.gif.

Thanks all,

Jim W.

ShovelStrokeEd

A well cared for "clicker" wrench will be more than accurate enough for your needs. Once you learn how to use it.

You really need 3 wrenches to cover the range of fasteners on your bike. A 1/4" drive for the small stuff (the afore mentioned valve adjustment lock nuts). A 3/8 drive for the medium stuff like caliper bolts or axle clamp screws and finally, a 1/2" drive guy for the wheel lug nuts, swing arm pivot lock nuts and the like.

The trick to getting good accuracy out of a torque wrench is to use it somewhere in the middle of its range, although good ones will provide servicable accuracy at both ends of their scale.

I would start off with a 3/8 drive one, and add the other two as your budget/needs allow. I really don't bother with a torque wrench for the little stuff, but I have been wrenching on things for years and years and after awhile you just know. That is why 19mm combination wrenches are longer than 10mm combination wrenches.

That is why 19mm combination wrenches are longer than 10mm combination wrenches.
I heard that Heli-Coil has just introduced a line of 10mm wrenches that are as long as 19mm wrenches. grin.gif
That is why 19mm combination wrenches are longer than 10mm combination wrenches.
I heard that Heli-Coil has just introduced a line of 10mm wrenches that are as long as 19mm wrenches. grin.gif

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Patallaire

If anyone needs their torque wrenches calibrated one of my clients does it, amazing how inaccurate they are. He charges about 60 bucks plus shipping.

I get mine done at work, just slip them in with the shop tools...along with a Starbucks for the guy in charge of paperwork.

I have the 1/2" (Craftsman clicker), 3/8" (Pronto dial), and need the 1/4" to complete the set.

Problem is they seem as scarce as hen's teeth. I drove all over Grapevine and northern Dallas today, hit 2 different Auto Zones, one Pep Boys and 2 Sears. No luck.

Oh well, its fun just having a mission. Lovely day for riding in the Dallas area and the fair in 'Old Grapevine' was interesting.

Jim W.

I suggest checking out the Snap-on Tech Wrench series. They are available in 1/4 inch drive size and up. You can set it to read ft-lb, kg-m, or Nm, takes youz pick. I have one in 3/8 in. drive and love it. When approaching set torque, the wrench vibrates, when at set torque, it beeps. Usual disclaimer applies.

go to McMaster.com, search for "torque wrench". You'll find several 1/4" torque wrenches for about $125 (micrometer click-type) and $52 (beam-type). They are marked in both ft-lbs and N-m units.

You can order from McMaster late in the evening and they will ship the same day. They have about 5 warehouses around the country, so ground delivery should get it to your hotel by the end of the week for sure.

Their catalog doesn't always specify the brand name, but it is always turns out to be a good name, when you open the package.

Archived