IGNORED

Modular helmets

rascalfair

rascalfair

I'm considering a modular helmet to replace my full face model, for all the usual reasons. Would like considered comments on that idea in general, and specific helmet recommendations re: safety, ease of operation, noise level, comfort, weight etc. Thanks in advance.

bmurphypdx

I've spent a fair amount of time looking into this question. First, appreciate that helmet assessment is a very personal and subjective issue. I currently ride with a Nolan 102 which I think is fantastic with regard to usability (visor function, comfort, anti-fog, venting, chin bar operation and security). The only reason I thought of a change was to find a quieter helmet. That is such a subjective thing that I do not know if one can determine before purchase that there is a quieter helmet. In the end, the only helmet that seemed more likely to be quieter and perhaps of highr quality was the BMW System V helmet. BMW has locked down the import of those into North America so, unless you have a trip to Europe scheduled, you cannot get one of those.

I've spent a fair amount of time looking into this question. First, appreciate that helmet assessment is a very personal and subjective issue. I currently ride with a Nolan 102 which I think is fantastic with regard to usability (visor function, comfort, anti-fog, venting, chin bar operation and security). The only reason I thought of a change was to find a quieter helmet. That is such a subjective thing that I do not know if one can determine before purchase that there is a quieter helmet. In the end, the only helmet that seemed more likely to be quieter and perhaps of highr quality was the BMW System V helmet. BMW has locked down the import of those into North America so, unless you have a trip to Europe scheduled, you cannot get one of those.

+1 on all of the above. However, I did read in the archives that someone liked their Nolan better than their BMW helmet.

At highway speeds, the Nolan is a little noisy. I have heard the HJC modular is quieter, although I think the Nolan is a better helmet due to certain features it has.

If you are going to buy online, make sure you try one on first. They do not fit everyone. I had to take the back of a spoon and crush some of the front foam down as it was uncomfortable after long periods.

I have an N102 and it is great. I chose it because it seems to be built better than the ohters. Yes, it's subjective, but the latching areas seem to be tougher. Like the other post, try one on first. My HJC was a large, and my Nolan is a medium. The numbers in sizing info are crap. Personally, I prefer to by helmets from a local vendor - sizing is too important.

+1 on all of the above. However, I did read in the archives that someone liked their Nolan better than their BMW helmet.

At highway speeds, the Nolan is a little noisy. I have heard the HJC modular is quieter, although I think the Nolan is a better helmet due to certain features it has.

If you are going to buy online, make sure you try one on first. They do not fit everyone. I had to take the back of a spoon and crush some of the front foam down as it was uncomfortable after long periods.

I have both the Nolan 102 and HJC Symax modular helmets. I find the Nolan quieter, and better made as well as better padding. It also has the neat flip down sun visor.

The Symax is lighter and easier to Autocom and easier to change shields. It feels "cheesier" than the Nolan and is noisier at all speeds for me.

All in all I prefer the Nolan. I found the Medium in both models fit me the same.

My Caberg is so noisy that I can't hear the radio above 30mph. Also it's a little heavy. I'm willing to compromise to be able to flip up the front for ease of taking it off and on without knocking my glasses off. The internal flip down sun shade is a bonus.

rascalfair

Thanks for the replies....what about the idea itself? Is it really a help and benefit to the ride? Except for having to take off my glasses before I get the helmet off, my current one is OK and paid for. I like the idea of an easier helmet, but just how much easier is it? Actually, getting the helmet off every once in a while is a nice idea, too. Comments?

jhg

My vote is for the Nolan. I'm on my second N100E in 7 years, (wore the old one out, no crashes thumbsup.gif). The new one (this year) is comfy, quiet (you do wear earplugs - right?) has a optically correct visor, and doesn't fog. Being able to put the glasses on/off, or simply raise the chin bar to pay for my gas without looking like a martian is a grand thing. Try it, buy it, you'll be glad you did.

I have the Nolen N100 and like it better than all of the others I have tried. It is quiet as long as the visor is closed. I have it rigged with speakers and mic for communication and mp3 player. Being a ham I use it a lot for comm and have been able to hear well at all speeds. If I have the visor cracked at any speed above 40mph the wind noise over powers my mic but never bothers the speakers. It is quiet enough that I never have to adjust volume no matter what speed I am traveling. I do have a little problem with the latch, could be me, but I still think that they could be a little easier to open. I would buy another.

what about the idea itself? Is it really a help and benefit to the ride? Comments? jhg

The biggest advantage for me is usually at the gas station on a warmday, where I don't have to remove the helmet & pull out ear plugs to get gas. Simply raise the front modular piece, and breathe normally grin.gif

My next helmet will be one piece for riding on the F650 as a one piece is quieter than modular and the F650 has no wind protection. For the RT, I'll keep the modular as it has the windscreen and plenty of wind protection.

W. Mazelin

Schuberth C-2 is what I wear, Carrie (nicewife) wears the original Schuberth Concept. Comfortable, light, well vented, reasonably quiet, plus we both wear earplugs. Plenty of room for speakers inside. The flip up is great for border crossings/military checkpoints.

bmurphypdx

Here's my OPINION - today at the local BMW dealer a rider saw me put on my Nolan 102 and asked what I thought of modulars. I said "try it and you will never go back." I mean it.

I also made a discovery today re noise. Before I say it, let me say that I suspect most everyone knows this but I did not so I assume others might not. The technique for "installing" the squish-able foam rubber ear plugs makes all the difference in the world. I saw this on the package of disposable plugs I bought yesterday. The Idea is to lift up the ear using one hand and insert the plug with the other. This straightens the ear canal and allows for a much better seal. Honestly, the noise I experienced today was no more than 10% of the roar I heard yesterday. I was humming to myself in my helmet. I was amazed.

+1 Nolan N102 Nolan N102

I bought mine about 8 months ago. I went from a standard full face to the modular for the following reasons:

1. Ease of on/off. I wear glasses and I as always annoyed that I couldn't just slip my helmet on. It was a multi-step process. Glasses off/find a place to set down glasses. Helmet on. Tilt head just right to find glasses. Slide glasses into helmet. It really wasn't much, but enough to feel like putting on my helmet was a chore. Now, I just grab my helmet, slip it on over my glasses and flip the lid down.

2. I like the built in sun visor. It is a great feature that works VERY well. I no longer have to swap my regular glasses and sunglasses. I just wear the one pair and use the built in visor if needed.

3. Ease of use at the fuel pump. Get off the bike, flip up the visor. So much easier/comfortable than when I wore the full face lid.

4. Communication. When I ride with my buddies, I like to touch base when needed at stop signs. With the modular I flip up the front and we can freely talk. With the full face, I had to practically scream to be heard through the helmet.

As for noise, my full face is a KBC TK-9. It's a good helmet and I thought quiet. The Nolan, comparatively, is extremely quiet compared to the KBC.

The airflow is through the Nolan is good. The fog-free insert works as advertised, and I find the latch to be easy to operate.

As for safety... I feel every bit as safe in the modular as I do the one-piece. The construction, fit and feel is solid.

Good luck.

JohnBeaven

try it and you will never go back

After riding 13 years with BMW system helmets - firstly a System 3 and then a System 4 - I have just bought a BMW Sportintegral helmet. And I love it.

The ventilation on the Sportintegral is far superior with no fogging. It is very light at 1400grams. It is supposed to be one of the quietest helmets on the market but I still wear ear plugs.

The only hassle is having to take my glasses off to put on or take of the helmet. But this is a small price to pay for a superior helmet. IMHO.

I bought a Zeus 508 modular (flip-up) about 2 months ago, and after 3-4 times to allow for break-in just love it. It does somewhat restrict my view when glancing behind me before moving into the left lane, and it doesn’t quite flip up as high as my buddies BMW helmet but neither of these are deal-killers for me. The convenience and safety of a flip-up is wonderful. Temp modulation is quite easy by riding with the face shield in an intermediate position and using sunglasses for the occasional bug that zeros in.

I was unable to find the Zeus at a retailer to try on before purchase but using the sizing chart on the Trax website worked out quite well. They even stock WHITE helmets which seems to be the safest color for contrast since Shoei stopped making the Day-Glo orange color.

Paid $89 including shipping from Trax Motorsports

http://traxms.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Helmets-Modular

Webbike world is a terrific resoure for helmet reports (they have 18 reports on flip-ups), comparisons, rider reviews, noise issues, etc

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

Thanks for the replies....what about the idea itself? Is it really a help and benefit to the ride? Except for having to take off my glasses before I get the helmet off, my current one is OK and paid for. I like the idea of an easier helmet, but just how much easier is it? Actually, getting the helmet off every once in a while is a nice idea, too. Comments?

jhg

I don't wear glasses and wouldn't think of swithcing from modular to fixed helmet. I love the modular. I have a Nolan N100E and a Schuberth Concept. I'm on my second of both. My first Schuberth was scrapped after a 40mph flop and it saved the right side of my face and especially my chin area; the helmet is pretty scraped up. It broke the hinge mechanism that holds the faceshield on.

IMHO there's nothing like a modular....I don't have to take it off unless we're stopped for a while. I keep it on during breaks and gassing up and even while running into the ladies room. It's so easy to take a drink and speak to people.

I tried to switch to get a quieter helmet. I bought a BMW Sport Integral and loved it....very quiet....sold it because I couldn't get used to not having a flip up.

I have the Shuberth Concept 1 and love it. I came from Shoei RF series helmets which I like very much but the Concept's features easily trump the RFs. I can now wear reading glasses behind the Concept's sun visor (since I don't have to wear sun glasses) to better see my GPS etc. Glasses are easer to get on and off and I can even put the helmet on with my glasses on. The Concept has better ventilation and more options for face shield positioning. I like the flip up for gassing up, conversation, etc. The only thing I don't like is that the Concept is noisier that the Shoei RFs but then, I wear ear plugs at highway speeds making it a non-issue. I'm planning on a Concept 2 sometime soon which I read in reviews is quieter than the Concept 1. I do know it has a more positive and visual way to know that the chin bar is locked which I like.

I did crash once in the Concept, a 40 mph slide. The helmet got scratched up, including the chin bar and the visor got lot's of scratches but my head/face was fine. I replaced the helmet with another Concept 1.

The sizing is different from the Shoei. I needed one size larger in the Schuberth. Visors are expensive and hard to find. Even the helmet is hard to find. Knowing all this, I still want the Concept 2.

Good hunting! grin.gif

I have HJC, Jarrow (Caberg), and Nolan102. The HJC is a full face. The Caberg is a good helmet IMO and the sun screen is far more usable than the one on the Nolan, which can only be used with the face shield down. I find the Nolan to be quieter than the others but I like the Caberg best. It truly is a personal choice issue. Your best bet is to go try some on, see what fits and then if you are so inclined to order on the internet, you will know what you are getting. Helmets are like tires or seats, everyone has their own opinion which of course is the best opinion. Good luck.

I bought a Schuberth Concept not long after they became available. I like the flip up feature now that I have to go into the convenience stores to prepay for gas. I really like the Schuberth's flip down sun visor and the "city shield" venting feature.

On the other hand, my modular was more expensive to buy, it's heavier and noiser than a good full face and I had to pay almost 90 bucks for a replacement visor.

If I had to replace it today I'd probably give the Shoei Multitech a try.

Bheckel169

Take a look at the new Shoei Multitec helmet. At about $470, it's pricey but I recently took a fairly long ride and really enjoyed the quiet characteristics of the helmet. Good ventilation on the top and so-so ventilation at the chin, it's head and shoulders above the HJC modular I owned. Much quieter all the way around and a really comfortable fit.

Bruce

I tried the Schuberth C2 which was very comfortable. I did not buy it because:

1. The mechanism to open positioned the button on the left side instead of the center. Seems like a good idea but it made it very difficult to open one-handed.

2. Modulars, in general, make me a bit nervous due to what I've heard. I'm not ruling them out, I just don't know enough to "assume the risk".

Just got my Nolan N102 N-Com, I really like the way it fits my head and seems really light. Couldn't find it locally without ordering it, found online for about 100 bucks cheaper. thumbsup.gif

Just got my Nolan N102 N-Com, I really like the way it fits my head and seems really light. Couldn't find it locally without ordering it, found online for about 100 bucks cheaper. thumbsup.gif

Ditto, on the N102. Love it! Quiet, fits, like the dark visor, and the chin strap? The best. About 200 less.

ISYHTRAH

Archived