R1200RT/ST Pannier Protection

RoyTemple

Hi everyone,

I've been asked several times here about the BMW Pannier protectors which I have on my RT and which have helped protect my side bags. I have also seen at the MOA rally last summer a bike with some sort of stick on rubber molding attached around the pirimeter of the lid that looked like it would provide better protection if the bike went completely on it's side. I've attached a photo of the pannier I saw at MOA. I did not meet the rider so I have no details on what was used or where to get it.

Hope this is helpful to some of us.

Roy grin.gif

861596-IMG_0231PSE.jpg.44a832901cf20928d4ab40098d28c83d.jpg

Don_Eilenberger
I did not meet the rider so I have no details on what was used or where to get it.

Hope this is helpful to some of us.

Roy grin.gif

If I had to guess - it's automotive bump strip.. probably available at most chain auto stores. Intended to be installed along the side of cars to prevent other clowns from bumping their doors into the side of the protected car.

They only work marginally on cars - since many cars don't have a simple door-edge profile.. but looks like a neat idea on bags.

Question - how do you prevent boot-scuffs on your right bag? The new bags - as nice as they are - require a WAY big lift of my leg to clear them as I mount or demount. Anyone found a way to protect the top of the bags from getting scuffed up?

Question - how do you prevent boot-scuffs on your right bag? The new bags - as nice as they are - require a WAY big lift of my leg to clear them as I mount or demount. Anyone found a way to protect the top of the bags from getting scuffed up?

I catch the right bag, too. I only clear it about 50 percent of the time and my right case has a series of little scuffs. Something like a layer of Lamin-X might help?

I catch the right bag, too. I only clear it about 50 percent of the time and my right case has a series of little scuffs. Something like a layer of Lamin-X might help?

Yes www.thetankslapper.biz - they work great

Archived