IGNORED

Are RT and ST Saddlebags Identical?

Id's_OK

In other words, if I buy a set of cases from a 1200RT, will they fit my new ST? Any difference at all?

Thanks!

In other words, if I buy a set of cases from a 1200RT, will they fit my new ST? Any difference at all?

Identical, no difference other then the lids. The RT has smooth painted lids, the ST has pebble grain black plastic lids.

TinMan.

Jim VonBaden

Identical, no difference other then the lids. The RT has smooth painted lids, the ST has pebble grain black plastic lids.

TinMan.

Correct!

Jim cool.gif

Hey guys I am not certain this is true, make sure if you are looking to make a swap. I met a fellow R1200ST rider at the Georgia BMW rally a few weeks ago who had put RT bags on his bike but explained the rearward latching mechanism was different (or simply placed differently) but he had to have some modification done before they would fit on correctly.

Jim VonBaden
Hey guys I am not certain this is true, make sure if you are looking to make a swap. I met a fellow R1200ST rider at the Georgia BMW rally a few weeks ago who had put RT bags on his bike but explained the rearward latching mechanism was different (or simply placed differently) but he had to have some modification done before they would fit on correctly.

That is odd. I took a friend's R1200RT bags and put them on my GF's bike with no mods. Just to see if they would fit.

Jim cool.gif

When I bought my '05 RT, I bought a set of the black '05 ST bags and they fit perfect.. Been running them for 56k miles.. That being said, it's been reported that BMW has made some changes to the newer model bags for better latching (no hard info, just internet chatter) so there may be a difference between years.. Can a BMW dealer\rep confirm?

Ride Safe..

TinMan.

My ST came with the painted lids from an RT. I don't know why the dealer did this, but I like the way they look. I believe that they're identical . . . or at least they were in 2005.

gettysburg

I can't speak for an '06 RT, but there is a difference in how the RT sidecases mount with regard to '05 vs. '07 models.

On the '07 model, the latching post; which pops out when you lock the handle, now has a metal tab(photo 1). The corresponding mounting point on the bike frame is notched out to accept the tab(photo 2). Neither of these features where on the '05 RT. The sidecases on the '07 fit more securely.

I suspect for the same model year, ST and RT sidecases are interchangable.

155440431-M.jpg

155440436-M.jpg

Archived