IGNORED

Factory gps harness connect to Zumo fused line?

WEDGE

Has anyone had experience connecting a gps wiring harness to the factory harness or should it just go directly to the battery. I'm installing a zumo 450 on a k1200gt 06. Any tech advise would be appreciaited.

Thanks Wedge

The gps (included) wiring harness is long enough to go straight to the battery, which is where I connected mine to. The advantage of that is, when you turn off your cycle, the gps remains powered . And conversely, since I use a battery tender on my bike when Im riding my other bike, the gps's internal battery is always charged up to 100%. Thats handy when you want to take it off the bike and sit down and explore the map/place you are at while not riding the bike.

Some prefer wiring into a "switched" wire somewhere on a harness, like the light. I found wiring to the battery was easy, and I didnt have to disturb my crunchy harnesses! (1998 RT)! thumbsup.gif

99Roadster

Yup.

Connected up a 550 on the RT. No problem, works like a champ.

Soldered the wires and used shrink tubing over all the connections.

When the iginition is turned on the Zumo comes on automatically.

One minute after the ignition is turned off the Zumo askes if it should remain on battery power with a 30 second count-down to power off.

Just as I like it. thumbsup.gif

I connected to the factory radio power connector under the fairing by the glove box (I don't have a radio) on my '04 RT. It has power going to it at all times except when the ignition is in the "fork locked" position.

pedro cerveza

I suspect that the 06 GT will have some of the same wiring I have in my 05 KS. BMW has a harness specifically for a NAV unit Here's the info

Results for 83300413585

Part Number 83300413585

Description REPAIR CONNECTOR-3 P S

Regular Price $24.30

Discount Price $19.44

I got mine form Chicago BMW. It will give you switched power for the ZUMO.

There are 3 wires coming out of the harness, numbered 1,2 & 3 (can't beat those Germans for logic). 1 is the ground, 2 is a speed pulse for the BMW nav unit and 3 is hot. With the harness you can install the Zumo in about 30 seconds without cutting into any wires on the bike.

Has anyone had experience connecting a gps wiring harness to the factory harness or should it just go directly to the battery. I'm installing a zumo 450 on a k1200gt 06. Any tech advise would be appreciaited.

Thanks Wedge

Archived