IGNORED

Throttle cable

jojo

what do you use for lubing the throttle cable? does it have to be replaced on a regular basis?

thanks thumbsup.gif

RT (and probably RS, GS, and other modern BMW's) have teflon coated cables (or so I've heard). They should be left dry. I found some lub near the end of the clutch cable, in the clutch handle, but that's about it.

I just replaced throttle cables, the junction box, the throttle advance, and the clutch cable, which was probably a bit extreme. But the response feels like new; it was worth the cost in my book.

SWB, I think I need to replace the Throttle Cable on my R1100R... what was the PITA factor involved in this job?

Driveshaft
what do you use for lubing the throttle cable? does it have to be replaced on a regular basis?

thanks thumbsup.gif

I use graphite lube. It's dry. You can usually pick it up at a bicycle tune shop if noone else has it

FYI,

I just had the throttle cable replaced on my 02 RT;

56K miles- cost $373.00 @ dealer AND WORTH EVERY PENNY!!

I was "told" by another rider that the dealer(Not Mine)

replaced the cable on a 02 RS under a recall notice-

anyone know about this ?? any info greatly appreciated!

There WAS a recall notice on the R1100R, but I do not know when it expired.

It MAY have been a Service Advisory rather than a government advised Recall.

This is all speculation. I only know that during my research on my R11R it came up.

what was the PITA factor involved in this job?
Depends upon your ability of course, but it's within reach of a good DIY'er.

Short version - There are three cables, one from the grip to a junction box (called a Bowden box) located under the battery tray, and one from it to each of the two throttle bodies. Removal of the tank is required to access the Bowden box which once the cables to the throttle bodies are disconnected will slide out from under the tray to the right side of the bike.

After it is all back together re-sync of the throttle bodies is required.

Jim VonBaden
what was the PITA factor involved in this job?
Depends upon your ability of course, but it's within reach of a good DIY'er.

Short version - There are three cables, one from the grip to a junction box (called a Bowden box) located under the battery tray, and one from it to each of the two throttle bodies. Removal of the tank is required to access the Bowden box which once the cables to the throttle bodies are disconnected will slide out from under the tray to the right side of the bike.

After it is all back together re-sync of the throttle bodies is required.

Agreed! I certainly wouldn't pay a dealer over $300, but then again, I do all my own work.

If you have the money, and prefer not to do it, let the dealer, otherwise, it isn't that hard to do your own.

As for lubing the cables. They are sheethed in nylon, and lube will cause them to break down internally. BMW specs NO lube except on the tipe to ease rotation of the ends.

Jim cool.gif

I replaced mine about six months ago along with the junction box with about 44K miles on the RT. Bought the cables online and did it myself. I am not a "motor head" and it was not difficult to do once the plastic is off. It was well worth the cost and the bike feels like new. thumbsup.gif Do a search on the board and you can find some help suggestions.

D

Can you, (well maybe you can, but can a regular guy) sync the throttle bodies without vacuum gages?
Well you don't need vacuum gages, but you do need some way to measure the difference between the sides. Manometers, TwinMax, CarbStix are some ways.

Nothing. You are not supposed to lube it. It is teflon lined. Lubing will shorten its life.

Archived