Best Place to Buy Battery On Line

HappyMan

Where is the best place to purchase a battery for my R1100RT on line? I am not going to find time to purchase one in town. Thanks in advance!

So what do you think the difference is between the DigiKey battery and the one on EBay? Should I be considering a Gel Battery? This one lasted a long, long time without any problems and my battery tender is not compatible with a Gel so I wasn't considering it but now is the time to think it through before I make a purchase.

Don't believe that "battery tender will not work with gel" rumor, it works just fine (your alternator didn't change why should your charger)....plus with a gel you almost never need to charge it anyway...

I don't know if they last any longer but I do know folks claim they can park their bike in the winter and it fires right up in the spring without using a charger....

The alternator argument isn't mine but I read it somewhere and it seems logical to me...part # didn't change so why should the charger?

I do like the fact you can mount the batter sideways so you can get to the posts without pulling the plastic.

Jim Miller

I just replaced my 3.5 year old Odyssey PC680 with the Panasonic from DigiKey. Nice unit, less money and all, but the Panasonic is down slightly on cranking amperage. It does not spin the motor with the same authority as the Odyssey. That could be an issue after a year or two of use. Keep a trickle charger on it whenever the motor is not running. Also, depending on when your RT was built, you may have to modify the ground cable to attach it to the post on the Panasonic.

dave sawyer

I had an Oddessy in my 97 Rt for 4 1/2 yrs. Bought a new one before a Newfoundland trip just to be sure. Gave the old one to a friend who was having starting problems. He installed my 4 1/2 yr. old battery in his RT and the starting problem went away. Damn good batteries IMO.

Don't believe that "battery tender will not work with gel" rumor, it works just fine (your alternator didn't change why should your charger)....plus with a gel you almost never need to charge it anyway...

Because your alternator doesn't fully charge a battery. It is a fact well known to those who design charging systems (as a company I worked for a few years ago does) that the float charge voltage for a gel battery is somewhat different than that for other types. Good chargers actually have a separate setting selection for just this reason. Leaving your battery on constant float charge, can result in damage to a gel battery (as a result of bubbles forming in the gel, that remain trapped), unless the charger has a selectable Gel setting.

Thanks for the advice. What is the general concensus or verdict on whether someone should purchase a gel battery or not?

bikerscooby

Also try www.bikebatts.com -- they have a good selection, and have the gel RT battery for $79 although it seems to be out of stock at the moment.

My opinion... never buy a water-filled battery if there is another option. Those things have to be checked every 2 weeks, and they leak out white corrosive goop.

I've never had any problems with my water filled batteries but I do take good care of them. Every night I park it I plug it into my battery tender. I've had real good luck and no goop. clap.gif

The good folks at battery tender disagree...I called them and asked point blank if I need to replace my charger and they said no. Then again I have never felt the need to charge my gel battery.....if you actually decide to keep a charger attached frequently you may wish to do more research on this issue.

As far as the short cable issue, I put on in my 2000 RT previously and had to snip one zip tie to get the needed slack.

bikerscooby
I've never had any problems with my water filled batteries but I do take good care of them. Every night I park it I plug it into my battery tender. I've had real good luck and no goop. clap.gif

You're lucky... but in MN your climate might help with that. Here in the summer when it's really hot and dry, all the water either evaporates or overflows out the side tube and then you have to keep refilling and recharging all the time. The standard batteries do work ok and last a few years if well maintained, it's just a hassle.

Thanks for the advice. What is the general concensus or verdict on whether someone should purchase a gel battery or not?

From my perspective, there is no clear advantage that a gel battery offers in motorcycle applications over an AGM, and there are several disadvantages. So I guess the question could be turned around... What reason would you have for paying the extra money to purchase one?

I can recommend Portable Power from experience. Fast shipping and my battery arrived fully charged.

Ordered from these folks on Wednesday afternoon and my new PC680 arrived 2 days later. Got the copper "L" brackets as well. Less than 100.

Archived