IGNORED

1200 ST Verholen bar risers

Marilyn

I was wondering if anyone has installed the Verholen bar risers to an ST. I bought them and found out that the shocks have to be pushed down at least

an inch. It does change the geometry, and suspension a bit, but one guy said that I wouldn't notice the difference. Also, how long did it take you or mechanic to install these and are you happy with the results? Here's a link to a photo if you'd like to look at these. The riser has been installed only on the right handlebar in this photo.

Thanks a bunch for your help with this new bike, I have a ton of questions!!

Marilyn

861292-verholen.jpg.8f9e720f643f851ce22994f969f02fc5.jpg

Hi Marilyn & welcome, looks to me that they will push the bars further away from you. IMO that will not help in taking pressure off your wrists.

Pat

Hi Marilyn, I picked up a new ST in April of last year and love it. I had the dealer install the Verholens before I picked up the bike. I spent a couple of hours test riding the bike and as much as I liked it, I didn't care that much for the forward lean. The Verholens sealed the deal. I don't know how long it took to install them (they threw in the labor $$) but I would recommend that it be done by someone who knows what he/she is doing. The Service Manager said it was "more involved than we thought". They definitely bring the bars closer to the rider. I didn't notice any big change in how the bike handled.

BTW your picture shows BOTH sides installed:

861292-verholen.jpg

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

I bought them and found out that the shocks have to be pushed down at least an inch. It does change the geometry, and suspension a bit, but one guy said that I wouldn't notice the difference.

Your bike has ONE shock on the front and it can't be pushed anywhere. I believe you are referring to the tubes on the front suspension that come up thruough the triple clamp. You can move those and it does not change suspension geometry.

Hi Marilyn!

Welcome! You probably hit the biggest group of ST owners online in one place, probably the friendliest too.

I bought an ST 2 years ago and did the conversion after a couple of months. What I did different was I just bought an RT brake hose for the extra length. The clutch line is long enough. The Verholen brackets are not necessary, there is enough clamping force to keep the bars from rotating.

BMW did the same type of arrangement on the R1100S years ago.

I took a leisurly hour to install the bars to the above the tree location. The steering geometry of the bike is unchanged. For me there was little airflow change from the fairing, I am 5' 8" tall with a 30" inseam. I notice a bit more butt fatique from the increased weight on me bum.

Jim VonBaden
Hi Marilyn!

Welcome! You probably hit the biggest group of ST owners online in one place, probably the friendliest too.

I bought an ST 2 years ago and did the conversion after a couple of months. What I did different was I just bought an RT brake hose for the extra length. The clutch line is long enough. The Verholen brackets are not necessary, there is enough clamping force to keep the bars from rotating.

BMW did the same type of arrangement on the R1100S years ago.

I took a leisurly hour to install the bars to the above the tree location. The steering geometry of the bike is unchanged. For me there was little airflow change from the fairing, I am 5' 8" tall with a 30" inseam. I notice a bit more butt fatique from the increased weight on me bum.

I've seen the same thing done without the Verholen kit, and it seemed plenty secure to me.

The kit simply adds a locating pin to prevent the handlebars from moving, but as stated above, they don't seem to require it.

Jim cool.gif

861292-verholen.jpg

Tony are you sure about that, they look different to me.

Pat

I bought and installed them (it was some job)(had the

dealer do the brake bleed} and I love them, made all the difference in the world. Great piece of engineering.

2005R1200ST

99R1100RSE

82R65EURO Dual Disc Hi comp.

62 R27

44 R75

861292-verholen.jpg

Tony are you sure about that, they look different to me.

Pat

Hmmm..upon further examination blah blah blah....I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about !

Pat, you (and Marilyn) are correct...and I need a new Rx for my contacts...

I'll shut up now..... dopeslap.gif

Marilyn:

First thing I did when I picked up my used (2,800 mi) ST was get rid of the risers! So I have a pair I would gladly swap for the bolts with circlips that becomes unnecessary with riser. I improvised and have a stainless bolt in place of the very expensive BMW original. No problems with "clip ons" sliding down so far. That would take a lot more force than I could apply to the handgrips.

Steve C

NJ

Thanks for all of the comments, and I would welcome more comments if you agree or disagree. I think I'll use the verholen kit, since I already have it, I'd

worry that the clamps could possibly slip, although I'd like the $250 back. Wouldn't it be a really dangerous problem if they did slip? About the shocks,

thanks for correcting me about the difference between the shocks and the tubes, I really don't know what I'm talking about, it was the mechanic at the dealer, and an employee at a different dealership that actually installed the verholen's on his bike that both told me it would change the suspension. My ST already has the bars at the highest position, if you push the tubes down and they are down as far as they go, don't you have to force the spring or shock so that it loses an inch of travel (still don't know what I'm talking about) Feel free to try and explain this to me.

The question you pose about the windscreen is a valid one.

I was thinking about the Cee Bailey's windscreen for the winter. I'm probably selling my RT which is a great cold weather bike, but wanted a little more

wind protection on the ST for the cold months than the stock shield has to offer. Does anyone have the verholen bar risers and the Cee Bailey windshield (and there are 2 of those). I think some windscreens that come

back toward the rider too drastically might impair the handlebars.

Again thanks so much for your help. This is great to have a forum

with so many views. wink.gif Marilyn

Look at Cee Bailey's windscreen:

http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/bmwr1200stws.htm

Steve, why did you get rid of the risers? Did they look bad or do you prefer more forward lean? Do you do any long distance touring? I want to be able to do 500 mile days and I thought the risers might make that easier. I've done a couple of 300+ mile days; 800 miles last weekend. The seat was a killer for me, but if I could sit back farther, then the seat was more comfortable, but I couldn't comfortably reach the bars without leaning over quite a bit. I'm 5'9" with reasonably proportional arms ( I hope) but I'm used to the RT's riding position.

I got an Airhawk seat pad to buy some time until I decide whether or not to get a custom seat and it was really very comfortable for a 50 mile ride today. Feel free to comment on the custom seat situation, or should that be a different post?

I've only had the bike a couple of weeks, so I'm trying to figure this stuff out.

Thanks a bunch! Marilyn

On the topic of the ST seat: I sent mine off to Russell the other day for a custom job. I am limping along on the original low seat until the job is complete. The original seat is a killer for me.

Hi Chris,

Be sure to let me know how it works out. How long until you get it back?

Would you post a photo when you get it back? I'd like to see how the

Russell looks on an ST.

Thanks, Marilyn

I have the Cee Baileys screen on my ST, but stock seat and bars. For me the CB makes a huge difference in managing turbulence and providing protection. I don't really like the looks of the CB, but for the trade off in comfort I'll keep it on until it gets really hot. One thing I've discovered is everyone will have varying opinions on windscreens, seats, bar position, etc. related to their specific physique and riding style/position. wave.gif

Marilyn: My previous bike was a R1000RS. I prefer a sport riding position. Wish the ST had the same "in and out" handlebar adjustments as RS. When I place the ST bars all the way down (as far as they will go and still clear the indent on the tank) I get lots of leverage but I need to grip too far out. So I have them up a bit. As for slipping... theoretic problem I suppose. I recently changed bolt size, and the handlebars had to be pretty loose for me to wiggle them up and down over the bolt. I am not concerned.

The risers really do bring the bars up quite a ways. Hope they work for you!

Steve

Hi Jim, I'd like to purchase your maintenance DVD. I was checking to see if you have those currently in stock. If not, could you direct me to a retailer that has them. Do you think it will help me understand my 1200ST? I'm not sure that I'll actually do the maintenance myself, but I thought I'd have a better understanding of the mechanics of the bike. A friend in my local club bought one and told me it was very useful for his GS. Also thanks for your comments on my post. It's great to have someone of your knowledge helping us. Marilyn

p.s. when is part 2 of the DVD due out?

Jim VonBaden
Hi Jim, I'd like to purchase your maintenance DVD. I was checking to see if you have those currently in stock. If not, could you direct me to a retailer that has them. Do you think it will help me understand my 1200ST? I'm not sure that I'll actually do the maintenance myself, but I thought I'd have a better understanding of the mechanics of the bike. A friend in my local club bought one and told me it was very useful for his GS. Also thanks for your comments on my post. It's great to have someone of your knowledge helping us. Marilyn

p.s. when is part 2 of the DVD due out?

HI Marilyn:

Thanks for the compliments, I really appreciate them! There are a lot of smart people on this forum, some smarter than myself.

You can order one of my DVD's by clicking on the signature line below my post, or the first post on this page.

Or you can click on this link to order one as well.

The Companion DVD will be out before the MOA Rally, and will contain all the differences between the 1100/1150 and the 1200 series for maintenance, as well as a bunch of extras applicable to any BMW oilhead, and most other bikes.

Jim cool.gif

PS other than some cosmetic differences, the R1200ST maintenance is the same, specs and torque values all apply.

bakerzdosen
Would you post a photo when you get it back? I'd like to see how the

Russell looks on an ST.

Marilyn,

Just FYI, here are two other writeups (with pictures) on custom seat jobs for the ST:

Mine

Mike's

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Am I reading that we can take the "normal" handlebar and put it on top of the "table" by lowering the triple clamp ? No need to purchase a riser kit ?? anyone has done this ??

This would be great!!!!

Jim VonBaden
Hello,

Am I reading that we can take the "normal" handlebar and put it on top of the "table" by lowering the triple clamp ? No need to purchase a riser kit ?? anyone has done this ??

This would be great!!!!

I know two people who have done it sucessfully.

There are some who will claim it wont work because the handlebars will slip on the fork tubes, but this has not proven to be an issue with those I know.

You will need to get an extended brake line from an RT though.

Jim cool.gif

There are some who will claim it wont work because the handlebars will slip on the fork tubes, but this has not proven to be an issue with those I know.

Not until an unfortunate tip over. I bet the bars so mounted will turn quite easily allowing even more damage to plastic parts in an accident. bncry.gif

Also the clearance to the stock shield is close at the mirror stalks but, doable. Also I have many miles before and after the Verholen bar riser installation. Doesn't change handling at all except for a very minor change of rider postion. thumbsup.gif

Thanks all for the info.

Just wondering what comes into the Verholen kit ? Is it only the longer brake line and the two "stoppers" ?

I've got the Verholen and the Z Technic V-sheild. The mirrors defintely hit the V-shield, but only when tight maneuvering, like turning around in the garage.

I've had the bar risers on my bike, when i first bought it, last year when i bought the Vstream, I took the risers off

I took the risers off cuz it was giving me a sore lower back after longish rides, and I felt I needed to be a bit lower to 'fit' properly in the bike. Well it worked, so off they stay.

For summer I put the cafe shield back on. And I got my gas mileage back. thumbsup.gif. And I may leave it off as it feels like a whole new animal. I got alot of turbulence from the shield (tho I do like the shield in general).

My next big thing I want is one of richs seats. I bought a 36liter? givi top case in Feb. Its nice grin.gif

My next big thing I want is one of richs seats. I bought a 36liter? givi top case in Feb. Its nice

Can you post some pictures of the Givi box. I've been considering one for my ST.

Also, Is it absolutely nessesary to us an RT brake hose when doing the bar riser conversion ?

I have risers. Bought bike with risers at 2,500 miles. First thing I did was get rid of them. But the former owner did not keep the bolts with circlips! So I use a bolt instead. Circlip is much more elegant, but three different size bolts gives three different 'clip on' positions. Glad to part with risers.... for cash or trade for bolts with circlip!

Steve C

NJ

Jim VonBaden

Not until an unfortunate tip over. I bet the bars so mounted will turn quite easily allowing even more damage to plastic parts in an accident. bncry.gif

Also the clearance to the stock shield is close at the mirror stalks but, doable. Also I have many miles before and after the Verholen bar riser installation. Doesn't change handling at all except for a very minor change of rider postion. thumbsup.gif

Speculation, have you ever seen it happen, or have any even second hand information?

No one yet has said they will slip. The pins are only extra insurance. The holding power is in the trippletree bolts.

Jim cool.gif

It's your bikes if you want to chance it. I haven't had many mishaps in the last 39 years of riding but, the fork tubes tend to twist rather easily in even a minor wreck from what I have seen. That's with a normal triple tree setup with both top & bottom clamping the inner fork tube that a clip-on is fastened to. On the ST only one single bolt clamp holds the inner fork tube from twisting. I doubt if the inner fork tube will turn before a fall. BTW I would have answered sooner but, I have been riding the Blue Ridge Parkway, Deals Gap & Cherohala Skyway the last 4 days. clap.gif

I have risers. Glad to part with risers....

Steve C

NJ

Hello Steve, I am interested in the "risers" or should we call them "stoppers" ? Please PM me with the $$ details as I want to keep all the "original" parts in case I do not like them either...

Thanks

Archived