IGNORED

It appears my '07 RT is wired to accept a second horn.

gettysburg

I realize this post is a year old, but I've yet a different horn configuration from the OEM one(s) shown and discussed. My bike was sold new to the previous owner in July '06. It's got, as best I can tell, a single horn, but it's NOT a pancake horn, it HAS a horn-shaped horn. But still, it's basically a "meep, meep" deal, rather than a "HONNNNK" like I want.

I'm wondering if perhaps all I need is the second-tone horn, rather than having to purchase an entire set, or perhaps just install one Fiamm/Stebel/Other aftermarket horn to go with the meeper?

On a somewhat related meepish note, my bike has the OEM alarm, which I accidentally set off for the very first time the other morning. If you've been thinking your horn is puny, check the pathetic mewling the alarm makes. If it was easy, I'd also like to upgrade THAT stupid sound to something more horrifying.

You may need to get a closer look at your existing horn and see if it has either of the following part #s stamped on it:

61337655882 (High Pitch)

61338381271 (Low Pitch)

If it does, then you just need to order the other part number. If it doesn't have either, you may want to installed a paired set of horns(high and low). When installed my FIAMM horns, I first tested one of them with the existing horn and it didn't make much of a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Great info and pics in this post! Has anyone had the tupperware off of their 2008 RT to see if the spare wiring and bracket are still there this year? My 2008 (10/07 build date) is afflicted with the wimpy pancake horn and I'd like to replace it with the earlier duals if it can still be done as simply on the '08 as on the '07. Thanks.

As a matter of fact I did this upgrade this weekend.

Took one hour, tupperware off, remove/install horns, tupperware back on.

If you remove your left mirror and look at the cross member you will see a taped and capped connector - that is the second horn connector.

Very easy and well worth it - significantly louder and completely oem - also there were no CanBus warnings.

FYI - I took off the whole front just for ease of access and it is only 4 bolts.

Highly recommned the modification.

markgoodrich
I realize this post is a year old, but I've yet a different horn configuration from the OEM one(s) shown and discussed. My bike was sold new to the previous owner in July '06. It's got, as best I can tell, a single horn, but it's NOT a pancake horn, it HAS a horn-shaped horn. But still, it's basically a "meep, meep" deal, rather than a "HONNNNK" like I want.

I'm wondering if perhaps all I need is the second-tone horn, rather than having to purchase an entire set, or perhaps just install one Fiamm/Stebel/Other aftermarket horn to go with the meeper?

On a somewhat related meepish note, my bike has the OEM alarm, which I accidentally set off for the very first time the other morning. If you've been thinking your horn is puny, check the pathetic mewling the alarm makes. If it was easy, I'd also like to upgrade THAT stupid sound to something more horrifying.

You may need to get a closer look at your existing horn and see if it has either of the following part #s stamped on it:

61337655882 (High Pitch)

61338381271 (Low Pitch)

If it does, then you just need to order the other part number. If it doesn't have either, you may want to installed a paired set of horns(high and low). When installed my FIAMM horns, I first tested one of them with the existing horn and it didn't make much of a difference.

Finally got around to stripping the tupperware off the bike for the 18k service and refurb of farkel wiring ratnest. The horn I have is a Bosch, appears to be

PN 7073881157 "High".

The other numbers on the case of the horn are:

CH2143

I also found the second plug, but it sure seems as if it's too short to make it over to the mounting bracket. Mine is taped and zipped just in front of the single factory horn.

Any idea what I've got, and what I need to get louder

Thanks.

Semper_Fi

These are the part numbers that I used - (obtained from the orginal link)

61 33 8 381 271 Horn, Low Pitch

61 33 7 655 882 Horn, High Pitch

46 71 7 675 209 Screw

61 33 1 459 545 Cage Nut

Standing in front of the bike and lokking at it on the Right Hand Side is where the additonal horn goes.

The orginal post by Gettysburg has some great pictures of where it goes.

For the OEM wire connector I cut off the zip tie that secured it to the horizontal cross member and I think there was another zip tie that is attached to the vertical cross member.

By removing these there is plenty of slack of the wiring harness to not only reach the cable but re-zip tie back in place very neatly.

markgoodrich
These are the part numbers that I used - (obtained from the orginal link)

61 33 8 381 271 Horn, Low Pitch

61 33 7 655 882 Horn, High Pitch

46 71 7 675 209 Screw

61 33 1 459 545 Cage Nut

Standing in front of the bike and lokking at it on the Right Hand Side is where the additonal horn goes.

The orginal post by Gettysburg has some great pictures of where it goes.

For the OEM wire connector I cut off the zip tie that secured it to the horizontal cross member and I think there was another zip tie that is attached to the vertical cross member.

By removing these there is plenty of slack of the wiring harness to not only reach the cable but re-zip tie back in place very neatly.

Yes, thanks, I've reviewed all the posts; just can't quite get a handle on what horn I currently have; it's not a pancake horn, and I can't find the part number anywhere. If my horn is equivalent to the high tone, then all I need is the low, no?

Semper_Fi

Mark - the two horns i listed from the post have a small curved bellows where the air comes out.

The pancake horn that I removed from mine was round, about 3.5" in diameter with no exit "bellow".

They are very different from each other - hope that helps to identify.

You can probably use two high tones or two low tones or, order the two horns, test them on the bike, and return the one you don't use.

markgoodrich

The photos semper_fi sent me confirm that the OEM horn on my bike is the high tone horn from the dual setup. My bike was made in March, 2006. All I need is the low tone and attaching stuff. Interesting.

marcopolo
The photos semper_fi sent me confirm that the OEM horn on my bike is the high tone horn from the dual setup. My bike was made in March, 2006. All I need is the low tone and attaching stuff. Interesting.

Interesting indeed. I have an '06 RT built in February 2006, and it has the pancake meep-meep horn.

markgoodrich

Well, I still have an issue. I teased the friction wrapping tape (where can I buy some of that cool stuff that doesn't cost $20 a roll, works much better than vinyl tape?) off the wiring harness to free up the second plug, but it's still several inches shy of reaching that second horn location.

Seems like someone mentioned an extension adapter for just this problem; I can't find a part number for it, though...the fiche shows a dual mount up where the single horn is: B0004135.png

99Roadster

The fische does not represent the layout correctly.

The orginal "pancake" horn is centered between the forks which is replaced with one of the horns. The second horn is on the right when viewing the bike from the front. This is where the cagenut is need for its mounting.

markgoodrich
The fische does not represent the layout correctly.

The orginal "pancake" horn is centered between the forks which is replaced with one of the horns. The second horn is on the right when viewing the bike from the front. This is where the cagenut is need for its mounting.

Yes, I know...I don't have the pancake, my single horn is the high tone Bosch horn that is part of the pair. The plug for the second horn doesn't reach that low, outside mounting location, which is why I'm asking for an adapter extension for that second horn. I think the wiring on my bike is sized for the setup shown on the fiche...but I need the extension to put it where it will actually fit. Make sense?

99Roadster

Perfectly.

Are you certain you have removed all of the harness tape? From what I remember it may be doubled up with the tape.

markgoodrich

Click this photo; you'll see a fuzzy wire with plug in the center of the picture; that's the entire length.

th_HornWireLength.jpg

Semper_Fi

Mark - i think you have the wrong connector.

The wire colors going to my #2 horn are Green and Brown

You are showing a 3 wire connector.

The #2 Horn connector is taped to the horizontal beam of the front end.

If you remove the left rear view mirror you will see it taped to it.

As noted by others the wire harness is double wrapped so by removing all the cloth tape it will provide ample length to reach the horn and properly secure to the frame.

Semper_Fi
Click this photo; you'll see a fuzzy wire with plug in the center of the picture; that's the entire length.

th_HornWireLength.jpg

Mark - compare these pictures with what you are doing:

This is how the connector was mounted and taped to the horizontal mount on the bike

DSC02919.jpg

This is how the horn looks when installed and mounted - note the two wire connector

DSC02921.jpg

Thanks for the photobucket suggestion - works much easier

markgoodrich

th_HornWireLength.jpg

Mark - compare these pictures with what you are doing:

This is how the connector was mounted and taped to the horizontal mount on the bike

DSC02919.jpg

This is how the horn looks when installed and mounted - note the two wire connector

DSC02921.jpg

Thanks for the photobucket suggestion - works much easier

Ah, jeez, Luis, you're exactly right, I found the Plug of Mystery rather than the extra horn plug, which is right where you said it would be. Now I've Abu Ghraibed my wiring harness for no good reason and don't have any of the special $20 wrapping tape.

First Torque Dork, now Witless Wirer. :blush:

Semper_Fi

don't worry about the tape - yes its great stuff but just wrap everything up tight with electrical tape and then zip tie both ends so it is secure.

You should well be on your way to a double horn!! :grin:

Mark,

I need help. I back up the fuel tank looking for this extra horn plug and can't find it. How hiden was this plug?

Thanks

markgoodrich

YIKES! Parts came in, I hooked the new low tone factory horn up, and scared the cat out into the street, a garbage truck veered off into the neighbors' yard to avoid it, hit a tree, the tree fell into a power pole, knocking out power to 12,000 people, not to mention their cable connections, the pole fell onto the next neighbor's pickup bed, flipping the front of the truck way up in the air, catapulting THEIR cat, which was sleeping on the hood, through the air where it landed on the first cat, causing a huge cat fight, which drove the other neighbor's rat terrier into a frenzy and it jumped the fence and ran up and bit a little baby. I very quietly shut the garage door and went inside. I'm not sure why the fire trucks are outside, but the police are taking notes and some of the neighbors are pointing. At my house. I'm gonna sneak out and disconnect the new horn. "Who, meep?" Jeez, there's garbage everywhere.

Constant readers of this thread may remember that my March, '06 build RT had, from the factory, the high tone Bosch half of the dual horns, so I only hadda order the low tone. I got it from my dealer, using the part numbers mentioned elsewhere in the thread, for $23.97 plus tax. The nut and screw were extra, of course, but that's a lot cheaper than $37, a lot closer to the cost of a Fiamm, and you won't have to burn your finger with the soldering iron. Kathy at Lone Star BMW ordered the parts for me. 512-451-7979.

I want to thank all the posters who shared their wisdom and photos. I may be the Torque Dork. I may be the Witless Wirer. But now, also, I am: Horn. Man.

j4bberw0ck

Just in the process of installing a Stebel horn on my 07RT; can anyone tell me, please the polarity of the horn connector? Brown / green wires to be cut into and used to activate a new relay. Does it matter which is which for this purpose?

I don't want to watch all the nice electric spaghetti smouldering....

Thanks

I think green is + and brown is -

Put red voltmeter probe to green and the black probe goes to brown.

Energize the circuit and you should see +Battery Voltage, if you see -Batt Volt it is the other way around.

Are you using the bike horn signal to drive a relay to activate your horn update?

j4bberw0ck

Thanks for that, S_F; yes, I'm going to use a horn relay kit from Easternbeaver and tap into the OEM wires (leaving the canbus connector in place) to trigger the relay.

j4bberw0ck

Well, just in case anyone else is Googling for R1200RT horn wire polarity in the future, the answer is:

green / black stripe = +ve

brown = -ve

j4bberw0ck

Oh, and now it's sorted, did I say it's LOUD?

There's not much space to mount something as chunky as a Stebel Nautilus Compact; no way I can see will it fit where the OE horn fits without fouling the forks or the suspension, or both. I fitted mine of the left side of the bike (seen from the front); the stock location for the second horn on the right side is way too small.

Eventually I mounted it with cable ties on the under-dashboard frame on the extreme left. It had to be twisted slightly so as to allow the side panel back on but it can be done. Using cable ties doesn't make for an elegant solution, but it is practical.

• 1 year later...

I changed my horns on my 07 to the factory horns from the 05, and I enjoy using it. I can wake up sleeping drivers several cars in front of me and look in the mirror for the 18 wheeler. :thumbsup:

On reading this thread this morning, I went out, popped off the left mirror and looked at the top frame member under the opening behind the mirror of my new '09 RT. The connector with two wires is still being installed into the wiring harness and zip-tied to this frame member. So, I guess I'll give some serious thought to ordering the '05 OEM Horns for installation when I tear everything down to install my aux. lights.

Such interesting things I find on my early morning excursions on the Net!! :grin:

I have the t-ware off and the mirror off on the left side. Even with all the great pics, I still can't see the connector. The only extra plug I see is the three wired plug.. Dang it! I do have the radio option, if that matters. Help

On reading this thread this morning, I went out, popped off the left mirror and looked at the top frame member under the opening behind the mirror of my new '09 RT. The connector with two wires is still being installed into the wiring harness and zip-tied to this frame member. So, I guess I'll give some serious thought to ordering the '05 OEM Horns for installation when I tear everything down to install my aux. lights.

Such interesting things I find on my early morning excursions on the Net!! :grin:

I think all you need is 1 horn,,The 05 low db horn,,The one on your bike is the high db horn,,,

I have a 2008 RT and I installed the twin 05 horns last week. The pictures were a life saver. The second plug was a little bit hard to find but it's there. The hard part was getting the wire tie undone. Once that was taken care of the rest went pretty fast. Glad I spent the time and money for the upgrade.

Having the radio shouldn't matter. I found on my 09 RT the connector was taped to the front frame bar and pretty well covered up. you really need to take almost all the plastic off the front to find it - but its there. Once you do find it, the horn hook-up is really easy. You do need to replace the stock pancake horn with a real horn. Even though they are pricey, the BMW horns have the plugs and brackets and make it all very simple. Also you will need both the high and low hoens if you want to make it sound right.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to me this is the way to go with the horn. It's a Stebel complete with relay and wiring harness.

http://excelcyclewerkes.com/index_files/Page1403.htm

I installed this unit on my wife's R1150GS. While it is a very good horn, like all air horns there is a barely perceptible delay from the press of the horn button and the emitting of sound -- not a huge deal, but enough that it doesn't satisfy my need/desire for *instantaneous* loud warning when in daily commuter traffic/warfare.

That's is one of the reasons I went with the second factory horn on my RT -- the other was the fact that it is *so* plug-n-play, with no having to figure out where to mount the Stebel and where to run wiring, mount the relay, and generally add more clutter under the tupperware.

The topper is that the dual horns are every bit as loud and brain-dead-cager-fog-penetrating as the Stebel (having been able to side-by-side compare the two).

• 2 months later...

Does anyone recall the size of the torx bolt which holds on the pancake horn? I am having trouble breaking it free, think it is a T30, but don't want to round it out (know that a 27 is small and 40 is too big.)

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Thank you, John.

It would appear that the tool collection I never envisioned having to accumulate will develop from my interest in being able to work on my hobby (to a degree) myself.

There's plenty of room in your tool pouch (if it's anything like mine), Chris. An oil cap tool, a screwdriver, and a single torx hardly cut's the mustard at the side of the road :rofl:

• 5 months later...

Finally got round to check this out today whilst doing a deep clean of the bike, great steer of the second horn location - now I have a horn that does not sound like a cartoon meep meep and now sounds more like 'get out of my way'.

Thanks to all for the steer and mostly to gettysburg from preventing me trashing the wiring thanks to his clear pictures.

Hi, a careful search on my 2010 model, the second wire connector is not there. The factory finally cleaned up the harness. There is a twin lead connector that is plugged for the factory GPS power connection. (some bikes had three leads here) The bracket is there though. I will use the original buzzer (I am hesitant to call it a horn) power to fire a relay and I will have a independent power source from my AP-1 fuse panel to the new horn. I originally wanted to go with a pair of 05 stock horns. But a new sense of being cheap has washed over me and I will probably use a Framm unit that I have on the shelf that is loud but large. I kind of don't like the extreme noise of the thing. The BMW twin horns are more suited to the bike. On the other side of the argument when you really need a horn, the ear blaster Framm is probably the correct unit and the one I will go with for awhile. The Bosch relay and socket I have has two output leads (#87) intended for lamps but will work for twin horns if I ever get to that situation. beech

• 1 year later...
Well, just in case anyone else is Googling for R1200RT horn wire polarity in the future, the answer is:

green / black stripe = +ve

brown = -ve

Any and all ground wires on any German vehicle are brown=earth=ground.

All you need is the two horns (61 33 8 381 271, 61 33 7 655 882) from the '05, one screw (46 71 7 675 209), and one of the cage nuts (61 33 1 459 545).

Part number for cage nut has been superceded.

61 33 1 459 545 is now 61 33 2 346 555

Note that all these parts are also available from the car side of BMW, where they could likely be found cheaper.

For example: https://www.bmwpartsunlimited.com/

Archived