IGNORED

It appears my '07 RT is wired to accept a second horn.

gettysburg

gettysburg

I removed the front end of my RT to get a better look at how I'd wire-up some fog/driving lights and I noticed a couple of electrical connectors that were capped off. One of the connections was identical to the one used for the existing horn. I connected my horn to this extra connection, turned the key and pressed the horn and sure enough the horn worked.

In the photo below, I've circled the extra connection in blue and the possible mounting point for the second horn is circled in red. This mounting point is based on where the second horn on my '05 RT was located. There appears to be enough wire for the connection to reach this mounting point.

153712797-O.jpg

gettysburg
But sadly, no horns (judging from the "Roadrunnerish" sound that my '07 makes)!

Yes, but at least one can be added without having to route aditional wiring and hook up another relay.

Alas, your post was one day too late for me...I did just that change of the stock horn **yesterday**. Oh well, haste did make waste this time.

j4bberw0ck

You beauty thumbsup.gif . Nearly died of embarrassment a couple of weeks ago as I swept (<ahem>, majestically of course) on my new RT past a bunch of riceburners and their riders parked up in a town in the Scottish Highlands..... "pipped" the horn.... and this pathetic, wheezy excuse-for-a-fart noise slowly made its way out from under the Tupperware. Just. Been looking for information about fitting twin horns, and you've answered all the questions.

Grateful thanks!

Mark

Teh early '05 RT's were brought n with 2 horns as stock (quite loud too).. Somewhere along the line, to cut costs they went to 1..

TinMan.

Is it as easy as buying a 2nd stock horn and hooking it into existing wiring?

Don't think that would make much difference. Two horns that are currently on the single horn bikes would still suck (I think). I bought the complete 2 horn setup that came with the '05 models and plan to install it tomorrow. There are aftermarket options as well, however I didnt want to cut the factory harness.

The dual horns are completely different from the single horn.

Check the link; http://maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/MainDiagrams.asp?mospid=48423

They are in the "Vehicle Electrical System" section.

I seem to remember someone from this board already did the conversion to the dual horns and needed an extra cable or something. That maybe this part; (05 on drawing) 61138365340 universal socket housing uncoded (2 POL.)

The OEM 2 horn setup on my '05 is plently loud enough.. It uses what look to be car style horns instead of the weak pancake style bike horn used in the single setup..

TinMan.

Have an 06 with dual horns and they sure are loud. Scares the living daylights out of me each time I accidentally touch the horn.

They are not pancakes but real horns and would only be bettered by airhorns.

You sure did a number on removing the front and the sides, never went that far on mine.

h

Is it as easy as buying a 2nd stock horn and hooking it into existing wiring?

I've a Jan-06 build that came with the pathetic pancake horn. Went to the dealer and bought Bosch High/low horns that were stock on 05 models. One of them replaces the stock horn behind the shock. Remove the pancake and angle bracket and use the clip-nut for the second horn low left inside the fairing.

I could not find a second horn connector (did not remove the headlight) so spliced into the stock horn harness and added a mating horn connector bought from the dealer.

Makes me want to go back and see if there really was a 2nd horn connector there.

gettysburg

Have an 06 with dual horns and they sure are loud. Scares the living daylights out of me each time I accidentally touch the horn.

I'm suprised your '06 has dual horns. I was under the impression that BMW stopped halfway through '05. Yes my '05 horrns were louder than most cars.

They are not pancakes but real horns and would only be bettered by airhorns.

I picked up pair FIAMM Highway Blasters(High and Low tone) for $16each. I've got one wired up and it's plenty loud. I ran out of heat-shrink tubing, so I'll need to finish the other horn tomorrow.

You sure did a number on removing the front and the sides, never went that far on mine.

It's not as bad as it looks. Just need to remove about 16 screws for fairings and front-end and 4 circlips to remove the windscreen support arms.

I have to admit, the R12RT looks better without the tupperware on, but still not as good as the 1150RT

lmao.gif

I removed the front end of my RT to get a better look at how I'd wire-up some fog/driving lights and I noticed a couple of electrical connectors that were capped off. One of the connections was identical to the one used for the existing horn. I connected my horn to this extra connection, turned the key and pressed the horn and sure enough the horn worked.

In the photo below, I've circled the extra connection in blue and the possible mounting point for the second horn is circled in red. This mounting point is based on where the second horn on my '05 RT was located. There appears to be enough wire for the connection to reach this mounting point.

Hi

So what horn/horns need to be bought?- is the 07 fart horn a high tone, a low tone or just a compromise - ie do I need to oder an 05 set of horns and replace the existing fart horn with one and add the other as you indicate? Thanks

j4bberw0ck

What about a hi / lo pair of Stebel Magnums from NippyNormans? £23 if I remember right (no I don't work there) grin.gif

gettysburg

Hi

So what horn/horns need to be bought?- is the 07 fart horn a high tone, a low tone or just a compromise - ie do I need to oder an 05 set of horns and replace the existing fart horn with one and add the other as you indicate? Thanks

I purchased two FIAMM Freeway Blasters (130 decibel both High and Low) from a local auto-parts dealer. They were approx. $15 each. If you purchase after market horns it requires that you cut off the original connectors, then solder&crimp the connectors included with the horns. I had now problems doing this, but others may have an issue with it.

Your could order the BMW Horns, but they're pricey at $35 each. and you also need to make sure you get all the necessary connector bits, as everything is priced separately.

Just finished installing the old style horns on my '06. Simple install except for cutting the zip tie holding the second connector. Hard to get to the zip tie, finally got it cut with a utility knife. One horn mounts in place of the original horn, S3500171.jpg

Second horn mounts in the front left of the faring:

S3500172.jpg

All you need is the two horns (61 33 8 381 271, 61 33 7 655 882) from the '05, one screw (46 71 7 675 209), and one of the cage nuts (61 33 1 459 545).

Defiantly loud and a good solution if you don't want to cut the harness.

Dave_in_TX
I have to admit, the R12RT looks better without the tupperware on, but still not as good as the 1150RT

lmao.gif

Nothing could make an 1150RT look good confused.gif

Here's a question: Is adding these '05 horns to my '07 (minus the stock, single horn) going to result in yet another one of those CANBUS issues regarding the increase (roughly double) in amperage draw?

And another: In the list of part numbers, I didn't see a number for an additional cable to connect the second horn to the spare connector. Is there a cable required, or not?

Here's a question: Is adding these '05 horns to my '07 (minus the stock, single horn) going to result in yet another one of those CANBUS issues regarding the increase (roughly double) in amperage draw?

Hasent been an issue on mine.

And another: In the list of part numbers, I didn't see a number for an additional cable to connect the second horn to the spare connector. Is there a cable required, or not?

You don't need an additional cable but the horns don't mount together like the parts diagram shows. One replaced the current horn the other horn mounts on the bottom left side of the faring support.

I sold my 05 RT I am sorry so I have a 06 on the way. With the 06 I will not have the horn like my 05 ??? I know the 07 but I had hoped the 06 would be ok ???

John in VA
I sold my 05 RT I am sorry so I have a 06 on the way. With the 06 I will not have the horn like my 05 ??? I know the 07 but I had hoped the 06 would be ok ???

Early '06s have dual horns. My 11/05 build has dual horns that are excellent.

My 2/06 build does not have dual horns. I'm going to add them. Do I only need to order the horns???

Order the hi & lo horns from the dealer. I could not find the harness connector (Jan-06 build) so I bought mating horn connector from dealer and spliced in to the existing harness. NO CANBUS ISSUES AT ALL. some guys add unnecessary relay.

look at an '05 to see how they mount if you aren't sure. Take the pancake horn and angle bracket off by the shock and mount one, use the clip nut from the angle bracket to mount the 2nd.

My 2/06 build does not have dual horns. I'm going to add them. Do I only need to order the horns???

Order the hi & lo horns from the dealer. I could not find the harness connector (Jan-06 build) so I bought mating horn connector from dealer and spliced in to the existing harness. NO CANBUS ISSUES AT ALL. some guys add unnecessary relay.

look at an '05 to see how they mount if you aren't sure. Take the pancake horn and angle bracket off by the shock and mount one, use the clip nut from the angle bracket to mount the 2nd.

Interesting.. the OP and several others specifically stated the connector is there. The OP had an 07, seems hard to believe that they changed the wiring harness... I'll strip mine down and hope to find the connector... I just ordered the horns today.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished installing the dual horns on my 06 R1200RT. They sound great and are very loud. I highly recommend them!

Let me first say that without the images from Gettysburg and MikeB60d, and everyone else's contributions in the other posts, I would have never figured this out. I realize that I’m repeating what some have already said, but I hope this helps those that haven’t attempted this yet and are thinking about it.

All you need to purchase are the two horns from BMW, and maybe your favorite beverage. NO other screws or connectors are necessary.

One thing I noticed is that the horns appear to be installed in autos. Check out the bottom-right corner in this image from the link that s3steve provided earlier in one of his posts.

B0004381.png

The tear down wasn't that bad. The 2nd connector was the hardest thing to reach. I removed the tupperware, the windshield, the mirrors and the dash/speaker cover.

841608068206_0_ALB.jpg

Remove the pancake horn and mounting bracket from frame in one piece as pictured leaving one cage nut on the frame.

Remove the other cage nut (red arrow) and screw from the horn and mounting bracket assembly for the other horn. Don't reuse the mounting bracket.

351608068206_0_ALB.jpg

After you find and loosen the 2nd connector (see Gettysburg's image in earlier post: #861287 ), install the 2nd horn on the left side of the bike. Note the angle of the connector (red arrow) on the second horn. They differ. I believe this horn was intended for the side mount.

651608068206_0_ALB.jpg

Install the other horn where the mounting bracket for the pancake horn was originally attached (red arrow). Also note the direction of the horn and connector.

951608068206_0_ALB.jpg

Afterwards, tie up and replace everything and you are done.

It can be done in less than two hours, but like everyone else, I took the time to run wiring for some new accessories and also cleaned up the hard-to-reach spots.

Again, thanks to all the contributed.

only your first picture comes through?? bncry.gif

Sorry. I'm new at this but learning quick.

I've uploaded the images to another site and I've also corrected the link. I've included some of the text from my previous post.

-----------------------

All you need to purchase are the two horns from BMW. NO other screws or connectors are necessary.

One thing I noticed is that the horns appear to be installed in autos. Check out the bottom-right corner in this image from the link that s3steve provided earlier in one of his posts.

B0004381.png

The tear down wasn't that bad. The 2nd connector was the hardest thing to reach. I removed the tupperware, the windshield, the mirrors and the dash/speaker cover.

r1200rt1.jpg

Remove the pancake horn and mounting bracket from frame in one piece as pictured leaving one cage nut on the frame.

Remove the other cage nut (red arrow) and screw from the horn and mounting bracket assembly for the other horn. Don't reuse the mounting bracket.

r1200rt2.jpg

After you find and loosen the 2nd connector (see Gettysburg's image in earlier post: #861287), install the 2nd horn on the left side of the bike. Note the angle of the connector (red arrow) on the second horn. They differ. I believe this horn was intended for the side mount.

r1200rt3.jpg

Install the other horn where the mounting bracket for the pancake horn was originally attached (red arrow). Also note the direction of the horn and connector.

r1200rt4.jpg

Afterwards, tie up and replace everything and you are done.

It can be done in less than two hours, but like everyone else, I took the time to run wiring for some new accessories and also cleaned up the hard-to-reach spots.

Does anyone know, before I rip my tupperware off, whether there is a difference in wiring between the US and UK '07 RT models- I have been told that the US models have (unused) wiring and connectors for the second horn but that the UK models do not - is there something I can check before starting? I assume I need to look up behind the left side fairing for an unused connector?

gettysburg

You may be able to peer up through the bottom with a flashlight (where the front forks come out) and see if the capped off connection is there. I pulled my tupperware off to for another reason and just happened to notice that the connection was there. Even if you can't see it, you should be able to reach your hand up and feel it. Just make note of there the connection is in the photo below.

153712797-O.jpg

Does anyone know, before I rip my tupperware off, whether there is a difference in wiring between the US and UK '07 RT models- I have been told that the US models have (unused) wiring and connectors for the second horn but that the UK models do not - is there something I can check before starting? I assume I need to look up behind the left side fairing for an unused connector?

You might be able to locate the connector by removing the left mirror and looking down at the frame.

r1200rt5.jpg

My connector was capped, wrapped up tightly with tape to the wiring harness, and zipped tied to the frame in the area indicated with the arrow. It was hard to locate at first.

r1200rt6.jpg

Be sure to look at Gettysburg's image from his posts to get a better idea of the location of the frame and connector (Blue circle).

Thanks RTS

The connector I see seems to have brown and green/ywllow wires and was taped up on the top rail that is in sight (see attached pic), much nearer than I expected to the left mirror hole. I think this is it! Can anyone confirm please - I've alraedy made 2 passes at fitting the Stebel Nautilus and gave up!

Many thanks

872584-imgp3349.thumb.jpg.adc763981bdb63c195074e5530f4338d.jpg

gettysburg

Yes, that is it. In the photo I offered(with the front-end removed), I had undone the tape so I could test the connection with my existing horn. After you undo the tape and zip-ties, there is enough slack for the connection reach the second horn location.

Thanks. Do you need to cut the tape or does it unwind without disturbing threst of the taped loom? ie is it an afterthought by BMW that can be undone- if it needs to be cut, could I do surgical job or do I need to remove more than the main fairings in order to release it?

gettysburg
Thanks. Do you need to cut the tape or does it unwind without disturbing threst of the taped loom? ie is it an afterthought by BMW that can be undone- if it needs to be cut, could I do surgical job or do I need to remove more than the main fairings in order to release it?

I think you could probably remove just the left-side fairing to reach it. But if it were me, I'd remove both the left and right fairings and then the instrument cluster frame(secured with four screws). Doing this will also allow you to clean the foam sorrounding the instrument cluster. Just remove it and soak it in some water.

I didn't need to cut into the wiring. It was a separate piece of tape used to wrap it to the harness. I did need to cut the zip ties that held the harness to the frame so that I could upwrap the connector. I replaced the ties afterwards of course.

It was still difficult for me to reach the connector after removing the fairings. As Gettysburg recommends, remove instrument/speaker cover. I removed the windshield too. They come of very easily and this will allow you easy access to everything and allow you to do some cleaning.

I did this mod over the weekend. Using a flashlight I was just able to see the extra horn connector tie strapped to the wiring harness. I only removed the left side tuperware. Removing the mirrow on the left side would have helped. I was able to pull the connector out of the tie strap and it had enough length to reach the new horn location.

BTW I used a pair of the red Fiamm (High Way Blaster)horns for $20 that worked fine. I did have to cut off the factory connectors and put on straight spade/quick connectors. I'm sure this will be blamed for the next warranty issue that my bike has such as a leaky engine seal.

I did this mod over the weekend. Using a flashlight I was just able to see the extra horn connector tie strapped to the wiring harness. I only removed the left side tuperware. Removing the mirrow on the left side would have helped. I was able to pull the connector out of the tie strap and it had enough length to reach the new horn location.

BTW I used a pair of the red Fiamm (High Way Blaster)horns for $20 that worked fine. I did have to cut off the factory connectors and put on straight spade/quick connectors. I'm sure this will be blamed for the next warranty issue that my bike has such as a leaky engine seal.

LOL! I would LOVE if they tried to wriggle out of warranty over the horn issue. That horn is totally inadequate and needs to be replaced for safety. I don't use the horn a lot but when I do , I expect it to be heard!

I bit the bullet- ordered 2 Fiamm used K series horns £6.50 each (High and Low tone) yesterday and fitted them this evening - what a difference - it now sounds like it should! I disposed of the old needle connectors and added wire and spade connectors to the '07 horn connector and the capped off one that I released. An easy and satisfactory job. Thanks Gettysburg for the idea.

• 4 months later...

Thanks go to Gettysburg & RTS for the great pics and installation write up. My RT now sports dual OEM horns! As was written, finding the LH pigtail and connector wasn't too difficult but freeing the tie wraps took some care to ensure I didn't cut the harness itself! I only removed the LH side fairing and turnsignal "eyebrow" to gain access and better visibility. All went well and the job is done. I did do an extra step - injected just a little dielectric grease into each male pigtail to ensure long term connection continuity. I also freed and uncapped the BMW Nav connector and injected grease to be used for my new Zumo when it arrives in a few days. No pictures taken - you guys already did that for us!

Jeff

lmao.gif

Huh? Nothing would make the 1150 look good (except maybe a bike cover). What the heck are you smoking? eek.gif

I have an 05 and the horn literally scares the shit out of me if I accidentally hit the horn button. Loud is not the word; when I honk the horn, everyone within a mile hears it smile.gif

Joe

Teh early '05 RT's were brought n with 2 horns as stock (quite loud too).. Somewhere along the line, to cut costs they went to 1..

TinMan.

• 5 months later...
markgoodrich

I realize this post is a year old, but I've yet a different horn configuration from the OEM one(s) shown and discussed. My bike was sold new to the previous owner in July '06. It's got, as best I can tell, a single horn, but it's NOT a pancake horn, it HAS a horn-shaped horn. But still, it's basically a "meep, meep" deal, rather than a "HONNNNK" like I want.

I'm wondering if perhaps all I need is the second-tone horn, rather than having to purchase an entire set, or perhaps just install one Fiamm/Stebel/Other aftermarket horn to go with the meeper?

On a somewhat related meepish note, my bike has the OEM alarm, which I accidentally set off for the very first time the other morning. If you've been thinking your horn is puny, check the pathetic mewling the alarm makes. If it was easy, I'd also like to upgrade THAT stupid sound to something more horrifying.

Archived