IGNORED

BMW Sport Touring for $5000-7000?

iMike

I've ridden bikes on and off since I was a kid. Latest was a '96 Ducati M900 which I liked but now I'm in the market for more of a stable, more versatile bike as opposed to a naked street bike. I've always bought used for the simple reason that you get a whole lot more for your money if you know enough to avoid a bad one.

I think a BMW is for me but I'm having a hard time figuring out model numbers/years/things to look for and to avoid.

So I thought I'd post a very simple question. If you had $5000-7000 for a bike, and intended to use the bike to both get around town, take on twisty roads once in a while and do some light (not loaded) touring, what would you look for?

Year/model and buying advice appreciated.

Thank you.

PS. I am 6'5" tall if that makes a difference in your recommendation. I was a little cramped on that Duc.

PPS. I did read the M/C FAQ up top and got a little info on some items to watch for by model and year.

I've ridden bikes on and off since I was a kid. Latest was a '96 Ducati M900 which I liked but now I'm in the market for more of a stable, more versatile bike as opposed to a naked street bike. I've always bought used for the simple reason that you get a whole lot more for your money if you know enough to avoid a bad one.

I think a BMW is for me but I'm having a hard time figuring out model numbers/years/things to look for and to avoid.

So I thought I'd post a very simple question. If you had $5000-7000 for a bike, and intended to use the bike to both get around town, take on twisty roads once in a while and do some light (not loaded) touring, what would you look for?

Thank you.

PS. I am 6'5" tall if that makes a difference in your recommendation. I was a little cramped on that Duc.

Depends on the area you live as far as climate . If you get cold weather and a lot of rain the RT is a great bike .I have been riding more than I ever have.I used to worry about riding to work if they are calling for rain now its no big deal . You can probably find some deals on 2000 or 01 R1100rts in that range .I have a 2k 1100rt, its the faster black color and love it .grin.gif Dave

Paul Mihalka

Your 6'5" is very important smirk.gif . The bike that will fit you best and do everything you list very well, is a R1150GS. You should be able to find a nice one in the upper end of your price range.

Get an '04 GS Adventure.

It'll go anywhere & everywhere.

And, it'll out-handle just about anything on the road. thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the responses. I live in the South so I should be able to ride 9-10 months of the year.

Where in the south?

Fill out your bio, & we can be of more help.

BTW, I'm in the process of turning my '00 GS into an Adventure, so if you want to get together, PM me.

Your 6'5" is very important smirk.gif . The bike that will fit you best and do everything you list very well, is a R1150GS. You should be able to find a nice one in the upper end of your price range.

Can you comment on the R1100RS? These seem to be somewhat more available and less expensive.

Thanks for the responses. I live in the South so I should be able to ride 9-10 months of the year.

Where in the south?

I live in Central AR. We have a BMW dealer here but he doesn't appear to have any used inventory to speak of. Nearest big city is Memphis which has a little more and then there's Dallas the other direction.

We have a BMW dealer here but he doesn't appear to have any used inventory to speak of.

Tell the salesman what you're looking for. Ask him to call you when he gets one as a trade-in. That worked for me, with my local dealer.

Jim VonBaden

Can you comment on the R1100RS? These seem to be somewhat more available and less expensive.

Great bike, and an excellent sport tourer, but it might be a bit cramped for your size.

Jim cool.gif

Google Bentonville BMW and check out their used inventory. They are a great bunch of guys and are very helpful. I travel from Tulsa to their shop in Bentonville for service or parts. It is a little distance, but there are some nice roads between Tulsa and there. grin.gif

Where in the south?

I live in Central AR. We have a BMW dealer here but he doesn't appear to have any used inventory to speak of. Nearest big city is Memphis which has a little more and then there's Dallas the other direction.

Heck, that's only a days ride from here.

Lemme know if you want to get together. thumbsup.gif

Stormrider

iMike...I'm in NE Arkansas as you can see. Check out Bentonville and my dealer who is Grassroots BMW in Cape G. in MO. Really nice folks. Drop me an email or PM and I'll help you with digging up a bike. thumbsup.gif

iMike...I'm in NE Arkansas as you can see. Check out Bentonville and my dealer who is Grassroots BMW in Cape G. in MO. Really nice folks. Drop me an email or PM and I'll help you with digging up a bike. thumbsup.gif

Thanks, and you're on. Check your PM.

What a friendly board. I really appreciate all the good comments/advice.

Thank you.

Mike, while an '04 GSA is an excellent bike I don't think you'll find any in the price range you're looking. I'd expect you'd be able to get a well equip'd and relatively low mileage 1000RT or early 1150RT for around $7K. You may also find the KGT to your liking, but this bike has a very different "soul" than the boxer found in the R bikes (RT, GS, RS, etc.).

Happy shopping! thumbsup.gif

Mike,

One thing I've learned selling BMW's is to get terms agreed upon.

By "naked street bike" you mean?

Please cite examples.

I have people tell me they want a "cruiser" all the time.

Then they point to the RT.

So, more info please.

To me, the GS, Roadster, are as close to "naked" as the BMW's get.

Of course windscreens can change that.

I'm @6'5" also.

I've owned an RSL. It was small, but not cramped, and I loved riding it.

Got your eye on the red RS down in Beaumont, Tx.? cool.gif

Riding position is another factor.

The GS, Roadster, RT, all are rather upright (sit up and beg) positions.

The RS, RSL, GT, are more forward leaning, yet when done correctly, not a lot of weight on wrists, more comfortable (to me), much less weight on sit bones, easier to move on saddle.

You are right, there are many RS's and a few RSL's out there in that $$ range.

R 1100/1150 GS's and Roadsters too.

I find the Roadster small. Too Small, but I know big people who love them, add windscreen and bags and make an RT-Lite.

If you move from the Boxer to the K, there are many K1100 versions LT//RS out there too. You should fit well on either of those.

Let us know what you don't want (naked street bike) and you'll get better input.

Best wishes.

Mike,

One thing I've learned selling BMW's is to get terms agreed upon.

By "naked street bike" you mean?

Please cite examples.

I have people tell me they want a "cruiser" all the time.

Then they point to the RT.

So, more info please.

Good question. I would like at least a half fairing or maybe a full fairing depending on the bike/deal. The M900 Ducati is the kind of bike I don't want another of, because it's unfaired, short wheelbased and tuned for raw speed/handling unstead of a blend of comfort and power.

How far are you willing to travel?

http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/3/8/88684038.htm

http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/1/6/87096716.htm

http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/1/6/87096716.htm

here are a few from Cycle Trader.

The Boxer is more user friendly IMO for maintenance.

Will you do your own?

The K is easy enough for fluids, but valves are more time consuming than the Boxers.

Mike, I have an M900 and an R1100RT. The RS is a little lighter and has less of a fairing compared to the RT, but is otherwise pretty similar. The differences between the GS, RS, RT and R are largely accessories rather than fundamental performance so I recommend that you find a dealer nearby who will let you test ride one of those models. That should give you a ballpark idea of whether it will suit you.

For me, the duc is far better around town and in the twisties. The BMW is far better on the highway and for longer days but they are comparatively heavy and slow. This comparison between the RS and the Tuono might be interesting.

In your shoes, I'd look for a GS but the RS wouldn't be a bad choice. On the other hand, there are a lot of other manufacturers out there that I'd consider.

I went to the local dealer today. The bike I liked best was a 2004 R1100S. Downside is that there's no place for my bag, except a net, or a tank bag I suppose.

Mileage is about 19,000 and asking is $7,750. Bike is in top shape as far as I can tell.

Seems slightly high?

Archived