Something goes here??

Wyn

Okay, every RT I see has two holes and a place where it looks like something should be under the licence plate.

What goes there or what's missing?

ISYHTRAH

I wondered what those holes were for, too. Then, I put some reflectors in there.

128506522-M.jpg

The German's have a way of adding things that don't matter. When I attended BMW tech. school at Butler & Smith in 1977, I asked my instructor, Udo Gietl, what the stripes across the headlight cover on the R100RS were for. His answer; "What ever you want them to be for".

The class about busted a gut laughing.

A much bigger license plate!

The UK for example has such a large plate that it hangs down to those holes which I assume a rubber bumper goes just for that.

For everyone else just fill with appropriate farkle doo dads.

ShovelStrokeEd

Udo does have a way of expressing himself doesn't he.

I remember him working on the AMOL Precision cammer race bikes. A magician's touch and an economy of movement that has to be seen. One of the most organized thinkers I have ever encountered.

He also related a story of building an R90S race bike.

After finishing it, he was seen to be wheelying it (HORRORS eek.gif) down the street in front of B&S.

The witness? The banker that financed B&S.

The kicker is, Udo was dating said bankers daughter. lmao.giflmao.gif

Oh, for the good ole days.

To increase visibility, I mounted a square aluminum plate, same width as the license plate, covered with white reflective tape:

764492-reflector-night.jpg

It was also a good place to attach my parking sticker.

The PO of my RT had a BMW logo mounted there. Looked nice enough. I got rid of it in favor of a BMW secondary LED brake light.

850661-brakelights03.jpg

The PO of my RT had a BMW logo mounted there. Looked nice enough. I got rid of it in favor of a BMW secondary LED brake light.

850661-brakelights03.jpg

+1. Looks great!

Santa Cruz BMW (Wunderlich) sells a Roundell kit that mounts into those holes, about $32 bucks I think...

lurker.gif

850661-brakelights03.jpg

Scott, Where did you get that brake light? I like it too.

ISYHTRAH

Not quite the same BMW Brake Light. Still looks good.

Yup... same light. It does look a little different in my photo, but thats the one. I got it from San Jose BMW... bought it with the "Brake!" LED brake light module at the same time and they made me a smokin' deal. I think it was about $220 or so for the both of them.

Its a clean kit... nice mounting braket, great wiring harness. Install is only about 20-30 minutes if you already have wired in a secondary fuse box... if not, and you need to wire the +12V lead all the way to the battery add on another hour for removing/reinstalling the tupperware and lifting the tank slightly so you can get to the battery terminals.

bikerscooby
Okay, every RT I see has two holes and a place where it looks like something should be under the licence plate.

What goes there or what's missing?

ISYHTRAH

Isn't that where you bolt on the rear crashbar? tongue.gif

bmw_back3.jpg

By the way, these LED brake lights are Whelen 500 series 5mm LEDs, bought from RIM Industries

Archived