IGNORED

Bmweerman Thursday Update

bmweerman

Today's been a tough day. I'm pretty emotionally drained and Cameron's situation has been fluxuating throughout the day. This morning they removed him from the respirator, took out the tubing, etc. He started out doing fairly well and everyone was feeling optimistic that he would take over the task of breathing on his own without problems. Unfortunately, it didn't happen that way. By this afternoon it was becoming apparent that the removal was in vain. His respiration rate, and heart rate were continuously running too high. They feared he would tire out soon and not be able to breathe, so now they are re-inserting an airway tube and putting him back on the machine. Due to some soft tissue damage around his neck (from any number of possibilities during the crash) there's a lot of swelling and that is hampering the procedure, as well. They had a very difficult time doing it the first time around and are anticipating this to be harder as he is already swollen from the first one. The doctor that will be doing the procedure has a method that he thinks will work which involves putting the tube through his nose, instead of through his mouth. I don't quite understand the whole thing, but a camera is involved in order to make the navigation of the sollen area possible.

This is taking a real toll on Cameron and, hopefully, with him back on the respirator he can rest. He's been in a lot of discomfort all day and is exhausted. There is a possibility that he may need to be on the machine much longer than originally expected as he has such extensive damage to that side of his chest. There's still more fluid to get out of his lungs and there are blood clots that are more difficult to expell. They basically suction them out, but the thicker stuff is hard to pull out.

Some of you talk about me being brave. I'm actually a basket case inside and feel lonely and afraid. I'm just taking care of business and doing what needs to be done. I do my best to have it all together when I'm with Cameron-don't want him worrying about me. I guess when someone is put in this situation they go on auto pilot and are able to function because they need to. That's the only way I can explain it. I can't tell you enough what your support means to me and appreciate all the well-wishing and offers. Cameron will read them all once he's able. I'll add to this if it turns out the doctor needs to do anything else to him today. Thanks again!

Firefight911

Patti, know that you have an entire family with you . . . this board, its memebers, and its family.

If you need anything, anything, please let us know.

God's prayers are with you.

Does anyone live in the Farmington, NM area? It would be so good to visit with someone, go have a decent dinner that's not alone, that sort of stuff. frown.gif

NoLongeraK1200RSRider

Thoughts and prayers on the way... hope it all turns around for you soon. As stated earlier.. you have more help available here than you might realize.

Gosh, Patti, I truly wish I were closer.

My prayers are for you and Cameron.

I am so sorry you have to deal with this.

I'd be there in a flash if 3000 miles didn't separate us.

My heart is with you and I only wish there was something I could do. Is there? Tell me !

lawnchairboy

when there is a bunch of swelling in the upper airways and in the oral cavity, sometimes it is easier to introduce and endotracheal tube over a fiberoptic bronchoscope through the nares... it is more of a "straight shot" to get a good look at the vocal cords and the tracheal opening..

I hope he recovers very soon.

Does anyone live in the Farmington, NM area? It would be so good to visit with someone, go have a decent dinner that's not alone, that sort of stuff. frown.gif
Gosh this is so sad! We really don't have many members in the Four Corners area. There are a lot of us at Torrey and some might be heading through that way back east after the weekend. Perhaps someone will see this and stop by the Farmington area. Hang in there and we're all pulling for you both!

Patti, please give Joan or I a call, 623 327-0405, collect. Joan and I are at home now (10pm Thursday). No one will be home from 7:30 to 12 noon tomorrow (Friday) but Joan will be home by noon. Please call, and take care.

Francois_Dumas

Wish too we lived closer to where you are ! Hang in there, both of you !!! Hope things will go better soon !!

François

Lineareagle
I'm just taking care of business and doing what needs to be done. I do my best to have it all together when I'm with Cameron-don't want him worrying about me. I guess when someone is put in this situation they go on auto pilot and are able to function because they need to. That's the only way I can explain it. I can't tell you enough what your support means to me and appreciate all the well-wishing and offers. Cameron will read them all once he's able.

Well, that is what being brave is all about. You do what has to be done and you keep it all together.

You are doing an excellent job in a very full of stress situation, in unfamiliar territory, with a loved one in peril.

My hat is off to you, I truly wish I could be there to ease some of the burden, I know first hand what it is like to have a smiling face just to be there and be available.

Make sure you get some rest, step outside and take long distance looks and deep breaths of air, and return to the trenches.

All the best and we will keep you in our thoughts for a positive healing and a manegable load.

motorman587

Been a crash investigator for about 15 years and know that he is out there kicking and breathing he will be fine. I know for you this a big event, but as long as he communicating to you then that is great thing. His body is trying to heal and sounds that he is dong fine. I have work around doctors and nurses in my career and shows they are doing a great job. Hang in there. Take care of yourself as other say. This too will pass.

Patti,

We will continue to pray for both of you. Our very best wishes for a speedy recovery.

thumbsup.gif

Archived