IGNORED

Fuel Gauge - 04 RT

JGP

Mine is same way, especially since bike is on side stand when I fill tank. I'm always more concerned about the gauge reading when the tank is almost empty rather than almost full. wave.gif

Laffo IBA#34115

There was a post a couple of months ago concerning this. The problem falls under TADT (they all do that) and is caused by corrosion at the fuel tank connections as well as at least three other connections until it gets to the indicator (RID). The problem gets worse over time and is corrected by cleaning the connection when the tupperware is off during your servicing chores.

My understanding is that it does not affect the low fuel warning light but can't explain how it doesn't.

I cleaned my contacts and now indicate full when I fill up and the top bar stays on for more than 1 mile so I'm good.

I read somewhere that in 04 the filler neck of the tank was changed. The filler neck was lowered. The result was less fuel being able to be put into the tank. They did not change the bend or make up of the float mechanism. Mine, when full, shows all bars. 10 miles down the road and I am back to one bar missing.

I have never opened the tank to know see how the gauge mechanism works. However, I had Concours a few years back and I did "adjust" the mechanism to read low fuel later. I bent the float lever down slightly. If the BMW is a similar float and lever set up, I would guess you would just have to bend the float lever down a touch. This would move the senor higher getting your missing bar of fuel to show. Two different goals, same adjustment.

Snowy.

I read somewhere that in 04 the filler neck of the tank was changed. The filler neck was lowered. The result was less fuel being able to be put into the tank.
Is it true that 04 1150RT owners can replace the fuel filler neck with one made for a 1100RT and get a bit more fuel in the tank? Is it easy to swap the 2 parts? Any downside? And how much extra fuel can you load that way? I've heard numbers ranging up to 1/2 gallon. If it's easy, and relatively cheap, I'd like to extend my riding range per tank a bit...

TIA,

beemer_me_up

On my 04 1150RT the top light will light if I really fill it to the limit. Then it goes out after 12 to 15 miles. Also when the last bar is lit and the yellow light comes on, I am good for at least another 50 miles. If all highway at 70 - 80 mph range I have gone just over 300 miles on a tank of mid-grade gas. thumbsup.gif

John in NC

Mine had the same problem. I sprayed some contact cleaner on the connector on the right side of the fuel tank then applied some dielectric grease. Problem solved.

On my 04 1150RT the top light will light if I really fill it to the limit. Then it goes out after 12 to 15 miles. Also when the last bar is lit and the yellow light comes on, I am good for at least another 50 miles. If all highway at 70 - 80 mph range I have gone just over 300 miles on a tank of mid-grade gas. thumbsup.gif

I got about 250 miles once, ALL slab at about 75 MPH. typical riding i get a little over 200 miles...but I haven't "pushed" the low fuel light. maybe i will try.

Archived