IGNORED

Valve adjust schedule?

TrickLidz

Just read in a magazine that the valve adjustment schedule for the 07 R1200RT is 12K miles. Is it the same for the 06?

TIA,

'Lidz

I dunno, I think ya got some bad stats. Far as I know the interval is 6k on all 1200 series.

BUT, if the interval is 12k on the 07 what does it do differently then the 6k 2005?

Dave_in_TX
Just read in a magazine that the valve adjustment schedule for the 07 R1200RT is 12K miles. Is it the same for the 06?

TIA,

'Lidz

I think they got confused reading the owner's manual. My 07's manual says it should be checked at 6000 miles and every 12000 after that. It also says they sould be adjusted at 12000 and adjusted every 12000 after that.

To me that makes no sense. Why would you do an inspection if you weren't going to do an adjustment if it was out of spec or adjust them if they were well within spec. dopeslap.gif So, in reality, the interval is 6K.

I've been adjusting mine every 10-12K (depending on tire life) with no ill effects or odd noises.. I guess if you wring the neck of the R12 you might need to adjust every 6K, but with normal use the extended interval seems to work fine..

Your mileage may vary.

TinMan.

It was in MCN comparing the new Guzzi Tourer to the BMW. The 12k interval gave a thumbsup.gif to the BMW....BUT....

I dunno, I think ya got some bad stats. Far as I know the interval is 6k on all 1200 series.

BUT, if the interval is 12k on the 07 what does it do differently then the 6k 2005?

You know it's interesting. I looked in the manual and from the way I read it, it looks like you do it at 6K and then every 12K after that. Am I reading it wrong? Does it need to be done every 6K?

I'd love to get a definite answer- as the dealer did the 1k adj. and I'm coming up to 7K. I'd like to know if I need to do it or wait until 12K. On a related note; can someone tell if they checked the valves at 6k and how they found them? (needed adj. or not) then how they were at 12K? See what I'm getting to here?? grin.gif

I want to do the work myself...but if I can get though this riding season, that would be great! thumbsup.gif

JustKrusen

Dealer did mine at 700.

I did them at 6000 & 12000

At 6000 they all needed adjusting. Mostly loose.

At 12000 they were very close. I played with a couple just to make it perfect. thumbsup.gif

'Just get thru this season'?? Geez, I just did mine, along with the engine oil, transmission oil, final drive and splines, and sync'd the throttle bodies...and it took all of 3 hours to do everything.

You should be able to do the valves in an hour or less...and then you KNOW WHERE YOU ARE as far as when you might want to do them next thumbsup.gif

Jim W.

Dave_in_TX

OK, I just opened the owner's manual for my 07 RT. The first SERVICE is at 6000 miles with additional services at every 12000 miles after that. The first INSPECTION is at 12000 miles with additional inspections every 12000 miles after that. So, at every 6000 miles there is either a service or an inspection. As to what the difference between an inspection and a service is, the manual provides no information.

ShovelStrokeEd

There should be a 600 mile service there as well.

The difference between and inspection and a service is mostly involved with fluid and filter changes. The inspection gets all of the 6K stuff plus some other fluid changes and brake bleed. Just to further confuse things there is an annual as well, which can usually be scheduled to coincide with one of the others.

Used to be they called these minor, major and annual. More market speak, I guess.

I don't know about the '07 but I now do my valves evry 12k instead of every 6k. Why? Because once the motor was past 12k the valves have needed little or no adjustment - even after 12k. I suspect BMW has figured this out too. I just performed my last adjustment at about 36k. I did adjust about half of the valves but they really didn't need it.

markgoodrich

I've just passed 6k, and this subject was on my mind. The owners manual shows the service intervals, but does NOT say whatall is required at the 6 and subsequent 12k intervals, NOR does it say whether the warranty will be affected if one does NOT do the recommended services...anyone know the answer to these?

Is there an online description on how to adjust the valves? Dang, I think I lost my feeler gauges 30 years ago.

Thx.

Archived