New Rider

mrduck

Gotta kid on my crew at work (20 yr old)just went out and bought a new sportster. smirk.gifThe guy has ridden a dirt bike and is gonna take the riders saftey course. clap.gifI told him when he gets to 1000 miles I'll take him out to the local mountians. thumbsup.gif So, how do I mentor this kid to becoming a decent rider? Any ideas?

And is there a site like this for sporty owners?

Then maybe I'm not the guy to be teaching as I'm just now healing up from my own nasty get-off dopeslap.gif

The kid working for me bought a 2000 Ninja 650 almost a year ago. His dad is a good friend, and asked me to mentor him.

The first thing we delt with was gear. Then bike got serviced, and I got him a new pair of tires as the old ones were getting thin. We spent time doing parking lot stuff, and his skills improved to the point he could pass an ERC with ease. We went riding. All kinds of roads. He's a smart guy and rides his own ride when we're out.

I cought him out one day without his jacket or gloves. The next day at work, I left the pics of my crash out for him to see, but didn't say a word to him about it. Before he left that afternoon, he brought it up. Asked about the pics. I showed him my scars and asked him what would have been had I not had all the gear on. I think it sunk in, I guess we'll see.

Then maybe I'm not the guy to be teaching as I'm just now healing up from my own nasty get-off dopeslap.gif

Hah, crashes in the dirt don't count. grin.gif

Show him what you know, tell him what you don't.

Archived