Roady2 or RoadyXT

eddd

I know Whip is not a fan of the RoadyXT, but I'd like to hear from others. I have two Roady2 and two RoadyXT radios (also a Myfi, and a Skyfi) eek.gif

I've been using the RoadyXT on the R1100RT, but thinking the Roady2 might be a better choice. I move the RoadyXT between my truck and bike, but not very frequently.

The RoadyXT can be removed from the bike quite easily, whereas the Roady2 requires that I disconnect three connectors. The XT's connectors seem quite fragile.

What has been your experience with these radios? Which would you use given the choice?

Thanks.

I have a Roady2 that I have been using on the dash of my R12RT for about a year. About 2 months ago the display started going dead intermittently although the radio still works. Still works today but display still goes dead. A friend's Roady2 had the power connector break inside of the case. No experience with RoadyXT. Buckster

I guess they all can have trouble. I had wirng in the mounting base fail on my Skyfi.

More recently the XT's audio would stop working intermitantly. The best I could figure there was a problem with the base. This is the reason I have two XTs. I couldn't imagine being on a long trip, cycle or camper, without XM. I always carry a spare.

I haven't experience any problems with the Roady2, and I just picked up the Myfi for long rides on my mountain bike.

Some of the guys on the motorcycle tourers forum had problems with the XT because of the connectors. The XTs were jumping out of the base (XTicide). I don't think the connector is robust enough for use on the bike, but maybe a restraining strap would cure its suicidal tendencies. I had a Roady on my bike for a couple of years, and had to replace it when it started to turn itself off, then back on, intermittently. I replaced it with a Roady2. I then had to replace the Roady I have in my car after I took it inside and used it with the indoor connector and antenna. The power plug somehow got screwed up and I couldn't use it in the car anymore. Also replaced it with a Roady2.

The Roady XT does not have a robust connector for use with a Motorcycle. However with a little care it can be. I have one and mount it on my RT and KRS. The fix I came up with and will refine shortly is to mount a spacer (correct spacer thickness to be determined yet) to the mounting plate with a piece of Velcro adhered to the front side facing the radio. When you slide the XT into the cradle gently push the radio back into the Velcro/spacer and it will hold the unit in place eliminating the stress on the power and antenna connection. Until I get a chance to refine this setup my current fix to wrap and Lance Armstrong bracelet around the unit and the cradle. That's been working pretty well and the yellow bracelet looks kinda cool. You could also use a zip tie. That XT connection will give out in time from swapping the unit between autos and bikes but it might buy me some time. Very nice gizmo for passing slab time.

What is the best way to wire the XM receiver if that is all you are wanting to provide power to? I've got the Nav III already in, I just need to wire a XM for the road and want to keep the wiring simple as possible.

I tied mine into my auxillary lights which I have on at all times. The wiring was right up front under the fairing. I ran the wiring into the left fairing compartment to keep the transformer out of the weather.

Archived