Anyone know if the seat pan for RT standard and low seats is the same?

Twisties

Hi,

My wife is waiting on her new R1200RT. She is 5'2" and the dealer included a swap of the low heated seat for the standard heated seat the bike shipped with... Only the bike has been in and built for about a week, but they can only guess when the low heated seat will arrive. She will have the low seat shaved by a local upholsterer (Rags to Riches Upholstery, SLC, UT if anyone has experience with them?) anyway. So if the seat pans are the same, why wait? They can just shave more. On the other hand, if the standard seat pan is higher, it will limit what they can do.

Any thoughts.

Also, is it common for BMW dealers to have no idea when ordered items that are in the country will show up? They seem rather backwards for this day and age...

PS Took delivery of mine last night!!!!

JimConnell

I just looked at mine (one low and one regular) and they look the same. They have the same number stamped on the bottom. The only difference I can see is the thickness of the padding.

Good luck.

Jim

When I had my seat done by Rick Meyer he told me that if I sent him a low seat it would result in a lower seat overall after he was done. Whether that means the seat pans are different or not is a matter of speculation.

I can tell you that I had both the low seat and the standard seat and so far as I could tell the only difference was the amount of padding. Although I don't know I strongly suspect that the seat pans are the same.

When I had my seat done by Rick Meyer he told me that if I sent him a low seat it would result in a lower seat overall after he was done. Whether that means the seat pans are different or not is a matter of speculation.

I can tell you that I had both the low seat and the standard seat and so far as I could tell the only difference was the amount of padding. Although I don't know I strongly suspect that the seat pans are the same.

I too have both seats and am considering having the standard seat modified (for comfort and a low height). The reason I want the standard seat modified instead of the low seat is I think I can sell the low seat easier than the standard and recoup part of the cost of the mod. After your post I am re-considering?

Ian

My wife is waiting on her new R1200RT. She is 5'2" ...

That probably places her on record as one of the shortest RT riders. Of course women tend to have proportionally longer legs than men, but I recall the saddle height with the short saddle still exceeds 30 inches. I'm a little tippy-toed with the saddle at high setting, and with the balance of the RT it's not a problem with good traction, but with wet surfaces on a grade...

maxfrankel

If you are in Salt Lake, Call Mike Harris Upholstery Service (801-968-1554). He has experience with R12RT seats, his workmanship is excellent, and his rates extremely reasonable. He transformed my OEM passenger seat to a custom seat that beautifully matches my Rick Mayer rider seat!

I found that I still had the email from Rick Meyer. This is what he says:

"The seat pans are identical, however starting with the low seat will end up with a lower seat."

I too have both seats and am considering having the standard seat modified (for comfort and a low height). The reason I want the standard seat modified instead of the low seat is I think I can sell the low seat easier than the standard and recoup part of the cost of the mod. After your post I am re-considering?

Ian

bobanddianne

There must be a difference between the standard seat and the low seat that is part of the bike mounting system.

The low seat only has TWO adjustments for how high they can be.

While the standard seat can be adjusted to THREE different levels.

THEREFORE

It would seem that the bike mounts must the the deciding factor.

Dave_in_TX
There must be a difference between the standard seat and the low seat that is part of the bike mounting system.

The low seat only has TWO adjustments for how high they can be.

While the standard seat can be adjusted to THREE different levels.

THEREFORE

It would seem that the bike mounts must the the deciding factor.

Are you sure you're referring to the 12RT? The height adjustment mechanizm on my 07 RT is not part of the seat. According to BMW's marketing information, there are only two height adjustments for seat height regardless of which seat is used.

Archived