IGNORED

Joining the Stacked (R1200ST) Splinter Group

Id's_OK

Many of you have heard me pine for the days of riding with my wife Jenn, and for my long-lost 1150RS. Well good news! Jenn has decided she's over the accident woes, and has started riding again clap.gif If everything goes as planned we will take the ERC this month, and RideSmart in June...can't wait!

Further, we happened across the little gem pictured in the attachment, and just couldn't pass it up. I had checked with a couple dealers about ordering a 1200ST, and was told that they were 'suspended indefinitely' and impossible to find. I called my firends at Bogart's BMW in Birmingham on an unrelated matter and mentioned my frustration finding an ST. Steve replied that he had one sitting right in front of him!

They had not had much interest in their dealer demo--a 2005 red and charcoal ST, pretty much fully loaded-- and had just put it on eBay. Great bike, great price, so I put a deposit.

Haven't ridden it all that much, except for the I-65 run from Birmingham to Nashville and some brief local stuff this weekend, but so far, I love it! It's everything the RS was, but lighter and stronger. And the most amazing thing is how much smoother this new bike is than the old one.

Finally, Jenn seems to like it too. Which means, of course, we'll have to start the search for another real soon thumbsup.gif

860555-R1200ST_1.JPG.5622f023806f68353aa018186a98b62a.JPG

sardineone

+1 on Phil's comments.

Time to rethink you position of being a splinter group? This is the BMWSportTouring forum and since our ST's are sport tourers, we are the group for this website.

Time to rethink you position of being a splinter group? This is the BMWSportTouring forum and since our ST's are sport tourers, we are the group for this website.

Good point, thanks!

Splinter group?

This is the Sport Touring forum and us RT riders just lurk.

Nice ride. Congrats. thumbsup.gif

Congratulations! Joel will be happy to see another ST at the June Ride Smart. But for aesthetic purposes you are not allowed to park next to each other!

Bill Murray

Another convert! clap.gif Welcome to the stacked splinter group, indeed. wave.gif

If you have not already figured it out, you will soon understand why we R12ST riders are such zealots about this bike.

If you are looking for another R12ST, I believe there was a R12ST for sale posting on this board within the last few days. I think it was located in Florida.

our ST's are sport tourers
I'm in Eureka Springs Arkansas this week... was talking to a couple of Harley ridrers where I'm staying... they kept referring to my RT as a "sportbike" grin.gif BTW, the ST is a great bike too. I've ridden them and they are FAR better than my old oilhead RSs. For me the problem with the ST for me is I felt like I had to go fast all the time on it. Probably not good for one's license. For whatever reason the "old man's" bike is just as happy to putt along at 60 mph as it is at 120.
JohnBeaven

I had checked with a couple dealers about ordering a 1200ST, and was told that they were 'suspended indefinitely' and impossible to find.

Do you know why?

bmurphypdx

Ordered my 07 ST in February, manufactured in March, delivered April 9. 2,000 miles since then. A sweet machine. Fun on the 25 mph twisties and solid on the slab at 90+. I think these are being produced in limited quantities with a pre-defined manufacturing schedule. So if one orders a new ST, its availability is dependent on the order date and when the next production run is scheduled.

bakerzdosen

Well, congrats and welcome to the splinter (soon to be main trunk perhaps?) group. clap.gif

Thanks, guys. I always thought the RS never received the attention it deserved, and this bike is just that much more! Looking forward to getting back into the frequent riding, high-mileage routine!

As BMurphy said, people are getting them. But the two dealers I asked said they had trouble ordering them from BMW, even when they were fully paid up front. Maybe they just wanted to sell something else and avoid the hassle? Basically, I don't know.

Congratulations.

I'm really looking forward to borrowing it whenever it's convenient for me. tongue.gif

the ST is a great looking bike and back in 2005 i test drove one but couldn't get past the ugly stacked headlight. i thought the stacked headlight looked retarded when i looked at pictures of it on the net and while i admit it does look better in person i still couldn't get pass the looks so i passed. i think the bike would be a much better seller if BMW redisigned the headlight. good luck and ride safe

Jim VonBaden
Yeah, but if BMW did redesign the headlights, all the riff-raff would want one. smile.gif

AND, they likely wouldn't be the best headlight on any BMW anymore!

Besides, many of us have grown fond of the ST headlight!

Double besides, you can't see it while you are on the bike, and one bad cosmetic feature is a poor reason to condem a bike.

Jim cool.gif

PS Lots of people missing out on a great bike! thumbsup.gif

the ST is a great looking bike.....i test drove one but couldn't get past the ugly stacked headlight.

You need therapy. tongue.gif

the ST is a great looking bike.....i test drove one but couldn't get past the ugly stacked headlight.

You need therapy. tongue.gif

i think the headlight on the KR is just as ghastly or maybe even worse looking than the headlight on the ST. with that said i love the angular lines of the headlight on my KS.

Double besides, you can't see it while you are on the bike, and one bad cosmetic feature is a poor reason to condem a bike.

i don't think the headlight condemns the ST but it was enough reason for me not to buy one and while you can't see it while riding you can see it when your off the bike. the one thing i appreciate about my KS is it looks good no matter what angle i'm looking at it.

i don't think the headlight condemns the ST but it was enough reason for me not to buy one

So I bring the ST home from the dealer (thanks, Paul!), and my 16 year old daughter looks up from MySpace long enough to inform me the bike "looks eeeevil."

What more could a geezer like me possibly ask for!!!!!!

I'm really looking forward to borrowing it whenever it's convenient for me.

Any time, David. I mean, Mr. Commencement Speaker blush.gif

i don't think the headlight condemns the ST but it was enough reason for me not to buy one and while you can't see it while riding you can see it when your off the bike. the one thing i appreciate about my KS is it looks good no matter what angle i'm looking at it.

The ST headlights are a brilliant design! grin.gif

I have been riding for over 50 years, gads, out of the countless bikes that I have owned, my ST, the first one sold in the USA, BTW is by far the best bike I have ever had. It has run on the Bonneville salt flats, 147 MPH, many 900 mile touring days, lots of playing go fast in the mountains and twisties, unbeliveable head lights, totally trouble free. thumbsup.gif

I just asked my dealer to look into ordering a black one for me. I bought a new Sprint ST in August and after 9K in 9 months, I think I am going to come back to BMW. (15 years of KRS's) I can't get over the fact that after riding 500+ miles a day, I have to lube a chain in a hotel parking lot. The lube gets all over the wheel and tires and looks like c***. I miss the shaft drive of my old BMW's.

grasslander

Congratulations on the great choice for true STing! Outstanding piece of machinery. A rail in the twists and the legs to go the distance in fine time. Even my Gold Wing buddy wants to ride behind me at night. (he doesn't have a choice during the day)

At my recent track adventure my 19 year old daughter came by to watch. I asked her what she thought of her old man's bike and riding style. She said, dad that doesn't look like a "old mans bike" and you sure don't ride like one.

I gave her 20 bucks and told her to buy herself some ice cream. smirk.gif

Enjoy!

I gave her 20 bucks and told her to buy herself some ice cream. smirk.gif

Enjoy!

Yeah, right...ice cream! lmao.gif

Update on availability....

I asked the dealer I bought the demo from (Bogart's in B'ham, AL) about the availability of new ones. Steve checked 'the network' and found about 7 or 8 still available. Unfortunately, most of them seemed to be pre-farkled with ESA, TPM, etc...things i don't really want or want to pay for and which raises an already expensive bike over $18k before luggage! Love that they've revived Night Black, tho' thumbsup.gif

Not sure about ordering new for production from the factory, but this indicates that there are some out there.

My dealer told me that it takes about 60-80 days to get a bike configured to your specifications. I don't know if I can take the depreciation on my Sprint ST (about $3,500 in 9 months) to buy the new RST at MSRP.

i can say that i looked at the original news release pictures and the headlight did not impress me, but what would keep me from buying one is the lack of fixed mirrors, i very much prefer the mirrors hard mounted to the body work, and not on the handle bars, especially when they can do such a nice job like on my r11s or the new k12s etc...

bakerzdosen
what would keep me from buying one is the lack of fixed mirrors, i very much prefer the mirrors hard mounted to the body work, and not on the handle bars, especially when they can do such a nice job like on my r11s or the new k12s etc...
OK, I'll stipulate to that. The mirrors aren't perfect. HOWEVER, they do work. It's just tough to tell at speed if the blip behind me is a police cruiser or a semi. But unlike many fairing mounted mirrors (think RT), I CAN see that blip without moving my head to see.

Very nice:

860555-R1200ST_1.JPG

Here's mine, en route to the unRally last year:

IMG_1640.jpg

Truly, an excellent motorcycle . . . and pretty too. thumbsup.gif

i can say that i looked at the original news release pictures and the headlight did not impress me, but what would keep me from buying one is the lack of fixed mirrors, i very much prefer the mirrors hard mounted to the body work, and not on the handle bars, especially when they can do such a nice job like on my r11s or the new k12s etc...

HPT_07.jpg

You think he's concerned about how the headlight looks? grin.gif But I gotta admit, I'm partial to the hard mounted mirrors too. wave.gif

Yeah, but you can take them off for track days. thumbsup.gif

Lone_RT_rider

I had to go looking for this thread. Congrats man!

Shawn

P.S. Don't tell anyone, but after Torrey I am exploring options.... *nuff said*

P.S. Don't tell anyone, but after Torrey I am exploring options.... *nuff said*

I won't tell, as it's an affliction I suffer from frequently lmao.gif Even now, with Jenn so enamoured with 'our' new bike, and the Aprilia just not up to touring clap.gifclap.gif

Update on availability....

I asked the dealer I bought the demo from (Bogart's in B'ham, AL) about the availability of new ones. Steve checked 'the network' and found about 7 or 8 still available. Unfortunately, most of them seemed to be pre-farkled with ESA, TPM, etc...things i don't really want or want to pay for and which raises an already expensive bike over $18k before luggage! Love that they've revived Night Black, tho' thumbsup.gif

Not sure about ordering new for production from the factory, but this indicates that there are some out there.

I've been told that there are now actually "a number" of '07 STs now in the NA warehouse. However, they do not show up on the online inventory and dealers have to go through their reps to order 'em. Don't know if this is true or not (my '07 was ordered last Fall and had a Feb. 12th build date) and I'm not sure why BMW wouldn't make them easier to access. In any event, it's encouraging to see renewed interest in the model.

bmurphypdx

Just thought I'd add a picture of my Black 07, picked up on April 9 just rolled through 2K miles, pictured here in touring dress with cases and a custom seat for me and my pillion Touring.jpg

Archived