brake fluid replace on every service?

cfink

Hi,

I just bought my first BMW R1200R and in looking through the service documentation I notice that they recommend (require) that the brake fluid be replaced every time the bike goes in for a scheduled service. What is the reson for this? It seems excessive to me.

Thanks

Don_Eilenberger
Hi,

I just bought my first BMW R1200R and in looking through the service documentation I notice that they recommend (require) that the brake fluid be replaced every time the bike goes in for a scheduled service. What is the reson for this? It seems excessive to me.

Thanks

I don't recall seeing this... where in the book did you find this requirement?

Normal fluid flush intervals are 2 years on most BMW products - not mileage related at all.

Welcome to the board!

At least on my '06 RT, bleeding is an every 2nd year affair.

Testing the system is at every service, but this does not involve actually bleeding the circuits.

Please note, if yours is an '07, the braking system has changed. I do not know what the service requirements of the new system are.

Jim VonBaden
Welcome to the board!

At least on my '06 RT, bleeding is an every 2nd year affair.

Testing the system is at every service, but this does not involve actually bleeding the circuits.

Please note, if yours is an '07, the braking system has changed. I do not know what the service requirements of the new system are.

The 07 series has the same intervals as the 06. 2 years for flushing.

I suspect you misread the manual. The Brakes should be checked Via the G1 computer at the dealer at each service. Of course I do all my own maintenance, and can't check the brakes, but as long as there is no idiot light or adverse symptoms, you should be fine.

Jim cool.gif

Archived