IGNORED

The aprilia poll

leikam

Which is it?  

210 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am also positive that I was the first aprilia owner around here. It was a 2000.5 Mille R, which was followed by a 2002 Mille and then a 2003 Tuono when the Mille was stolen. I wish I still had every one of 'em.

--sam

I put I want to own one.

It was maybe 11 years ago I spotted a gray market 2 stroke (Chesterfield GP model) at a vw show in Vallejo, CA. I never found the owner but that would be my choice.

JerryMather

I've often wished I bought a RSV-R instead of my 996 and I still think about owning a Collin Edwards special edition every time I see one of them on the road. crazy.gif

russell_bynum

I own Sam's 2003 Tuono. grin.gif

I selected that I currently own one and that I want to own one. RSV Factory gives me big wood. Either of the Aprilia Motards would be a riot. An RS250 would be the ultimate trackday bike for tight tracks.

Is parts availability for Aprilia good?

Among other Italian makes, I've heard that Guzzi has been a problem for parts.

Not really. It depends on the part. If it is a standard wear item, you aren't likely to have any kind of problem. Internal parts for the engine have proven difficult for some users, and some folks have waited a really long time for bodywork, although I never had a problem on that score.

--sam

Is parts availability for Aprilia good?

Among other Italian makes, I've heard that Guzzi has been a problem for parts.

You don't need engine parts, because nothing happens to them.

Other things are available overnight through AF1 or take a month, if they aren't in stock. I've not had any trouble so far with all the stuff I've purchased.

roadscholar

I skewed the poll by voting for the top three grin.gif

I had a Falco 4 or 5 years ago w/17k miles on it and a Caponord w/5k a couple years ago, and owned each about a year and a half. Currently have a Futura I bought used.

All three were (are) completely trouble-free but to be fair, never put big miles on any of them.

I love the motor in them even in it's detuned state. The Falco was magical in the mountains, great mid-range torque and nice engine-braking made it very user-friendly.

The Caponord has a couple drawbacks, being the soft front suspension and relatively weak brakes. I always wanted to find a wrecked Mille and put the motor in the Caponord and update the aforementioned, but then I guess you'd just about have a Tuono. grin.gif The 'Nord' is a good touring bike though with a nice seat and decent wind protection.

I'd like to have the next generation 'Nord' if they ever get around to it, I'm sure it would be improved.

One complaint though, the sidestand on the Caponord is a sadistic joke (yes, even moreso than on some BMWs). First, its not easy to stand it up from the lean, and twice I've watched the bike fall over when no one was near it. dopeslap.giflmao.gif

russell_bynum
Not really. It depends on the part. If it is a standard wear item, you aren't likely to have any kind of problem. Internal parts for the engine have proven difficult for some users, and some folks have waited a really long time for bodywork, although I never had a problem on that score.

--sam

That pretty much matches my experience. The biggest problem I had was it took almost 2 months to get a front brake reservoir. And that's just a standard generic Brembo part. I wound up ordering it from a generic cycleparts places (not an Aprilia dealer or AF1) and it still took forever. Some of the bodywork took a month, but most was in stock and shipped quickly.

AF1 has been great to deal with, by the way.

That pretty much matches my experience. The biggest problem I had was it took almost 2 months to get a front brake reservoir. And that's just a standard generic Brembo part. I wound up ordering it from a generic cycleparts places (not an Aprilia dealer or AF1) and it still took forever. Some of the bodywork took a month, but most was in stock and shipped quickly.

You'll quickly learn that most of the Brembo items are also on most Ducati bikes, and are usually in very ready supply at your local ducati shop. The front brake reservoir being a classic example of uch a part.

--sam

russell_bynum

You'll quickly learn that most of the Brembo items are also on most Ducati bikes, and are usually in very ready supply at your local ducati shop. The front brake reservoir being a classic example of uch a part.

The story that I got was that Brembo was having some sort of problem and nobody was able to get them.

But yeah...there's lots of "generic" stuff that's shared with other bikes like Ducatis.

I also had a falco for 20k miles and it was a blast in the mountains. Even for ~500 mile "touring" days, I liked it better than the BMW. No problems at all. I could see owning another aprilia in the not too distant future.

roadscholar

I think they're one of the better 'used' values on the market. The less popular ones seem to depreciate down to about half their new price and then maintain that level, probably because of lack of dealer support and oddball styling.

Always considered them sort of an Italian Honda, a good bit of European flair and character mixed with good performance and even better reliability.

weaselwayne
I also had a falco for 20k miles and it was a blast in the mountains. Even for ~500 mile "touring" days, I liked it better than the BMW. No problems at all. I could see owning another aprilia in the not too distant future.

What about the Super Duke?

I had a Tuono, I miss it everytime I go to the garage. Most capable bike I've owned. Certainly better then my skills, fun every ride.

Certainly better then my skills, fun every ride.

Certainly, indeed. I have a 2000.5 RSV-R, and I'm still looking forward to the day that I'll be worthy! tongue.gif

Archived