IGNORED

ABS Modulator Failure

barno68

I have an '02 RT that has been having ABS issues for the past 12k. Originally the level went down so I added fluid, then the fronts just plain quick working (thats right, nothing....). Had to limp it to the shop on the rears. The could not find what was wrong, so gave the old standby answer of a bad modulator. I could not justify spending $2300 for the repair when they could not tell me exactly what the problem was. Went out to get the bike and the brakes were working...

I have been riding it since Oct 05 this way, just adding fluid to the fronts on occation. I did not notice any leaks until today.

I was servicing the bike at home because the shop I normally take it too quoted $1000 for a major/annual combo with front tire change. Am I missing something here? Anyway, noticed a brake fluid under the battery and see that it really does need to be fixed. So, I have not had good luck finding a module for an '02 in the past, but today I found a good price on an '03 R1000S unit. It is also partial integrated like mine. Any thoughts on if this would be a direct swap? I thought if not I could use its seal to fix mine... Thanks.

Brent

Stan Walker

Anyway, noticed a brake fluid under the battery and see that it really does need to be fixed.

This could be as simple as a leaking bleeder valve in the top of the ABS module.

All US RT's other than RTP's are stock with fully integrated brakes. That is a different module with different plumbing than the module used on partially integrated bikes. Shall we assume you have an RTP? Or a bike that wasn't built for this country? Or has someone modified your bike in this area?

Stan

I now the specs say it should be fully integrated, and it very well may be, but when the dealer ran the number it came up as a partial... I do not really know how to tell by looking at the unit. However, plumbing wise it looks identical to the 1000s model. I have seen rt modulators listed that look totally different, so... this is a hard one as this is one of the parts that is a manufacture close hold, just try and look up the part numbers :-(

Brent

Don't know what you mean by try looking up the part number. The fiche clearly shows part #34 5 17 685 787 for the fully integrated modulator and 34 5 17 685 789 for the partial.

I don't have access to the actual parts fiche, but those I have looked at online have the ABS grayed out. The dealer would not give me the numbers at all saying that they are not allowed to give out ABS info. Made no sense to me. Where are you getting the part numbers from? Anyway, the number you gave do not match what is on my bike. Here is the number:

34 51 2 333 514

and it does have R1150RT etched above that.

The '03 modulator I am look at has the part number of:

34 51 7 650 909

I do not know what to make of this.

Brent

Ok, I found the parts fiche on maxbmwmotorcycles.com

Now I am even more confused. My part number comes up as not found. The correct numbers are listed in an above post (thanks!). Manufacture date for my bike was 04/2001, so it does have partially integrated ABS.

Any advice on this odd ball unit I have?

Brent

You might consider sending unit to this guy. He does a rebuild and gives a warrenty (5 yr) better than OEM.

Just FYI, I spoke with him, and he doesn't do the BMW M/C ABS module rebuilds yet. Said he might get some time to look into one, but couldn't repair mine just two weeks ago. We can all hope that he looks one over real soon, but I went the replacement route (OUCH!).

Interesting that he says he doesn't rebuild M/C ABS as there is a comment from a K bike rider from Australia on his web site

"Hi Gavin

I can now inform you that you have mastered the BMW K1100 motorcycle ABS1 module. The module powered up when first installed but showed a fault 4 which indicated a failure with the rear modulator. Jeff dismantled the modulator and found a valve that appeared to be sticking so gave it all a clean, reassembled and installed with great results. No more flashing lights.

Thank you again for all you have done. When I first contacted you regarding the lack of people in Australia willing to attempt the repair of ABS Modules I never expected the assistance or generosity I received from you. I will continue to recommended you to people in Australia, 4 weeks turnaround time and $250 US is a small price to pay when you compare to the price of a new unit. My guess is that it would take just as long to get a new unit as I'm doubtful BMW Australia would have them in stock.

Kind regards,

Garry C, Gold Coast, Australia, 3/6/05"

I'm thinking the M/C ABS can't be that different from BMW car ABS units, but have never looked at car unit to know for sure.

I know there is big difference in looks between ABS1 and iABS units, not sure about the insides. I picked up the R1000s iABS unit for $125 shipped, so if nothing else, I will be tearing mine down to see how it ticks :-)

Brent

Archived