IGNORED

VTech vs Standard Windshield

bimmers

I just put my std windshield back and noticed a significant difference in sensitivity to turbulence on the highway. With the stock the bike is rock solid but with the VTech it was wobbly behind larger cars and trucks. Has anyone else the same experience and how have you coped with it?

h

Petethepup

I think there is a relationship between how well a fairing/shield work in clean air and how turbulent they feel in dirty air. I first noticed this on my K1200S. Much cleaner in clean air than the earlier gerenation K1200RS and much more turbulence in clean air.

I know that very efficient airplane wing designs (not sure which NACA versions) are worse when the airflow is disrupted, which may be a useful analogy.

The clearest difference is shown by riding an unfaired bike. It's nasty all the time, passing a truck or alone on the road.

860484-100thanniversary.jpg.92e00a46868c1c8bce46d91852ddfc57.jpg

But, my wife says she's getting blasted.

I actually sold my VTech because my wife couldn't take it. She likes the stock betterconfused.gif. Still looking for a better solution. If you find one to make the Mrs. happy that doesn't break your supports, let me know. We would both be very grateful!

I just put my std windshield back and noticed a significant difference in sensitivity to turbulence on the highway. With the stock the bike is rock solid but with the VTech it was wobbly behind larger cars and trucks. Has anyone else the same experience and how have you coped with it?

h

This is one of the negatives I noticed with the Vstream. They are actually trying to CREATE turbulence and use that to get it away from the rider - a very strange idea that seems to work out in many ways.

I was working pretty hard to find the ideal windshield for the R1200RT and tried 3 different windshields looking for the ideal. I then decided to work on one myself but ended up testing prototypes and working on that with a windshield manufacturer. Have the likely final prototype as of today. I have learned alot and found that there are several good WS out there but there are advantages and disadvantages to each. I will have a full complete report very soon. If someone near Upland/Claremont has a R1200RT and wants to try some or all with a passenger, PM me. I don't do passengers bigger than my 11 year-old.

John in VA

My used RT came with a VTech but it seemed like a barn door, causing much turbulence, up or down. I found a used stock windshield and it's much better for me. For hot summer "naked bike" commuting, I just bought a short Cee Baileys Sportshield that I'm looking forward to trying out.

I tried the Z teck LOVE IT, first time I ever heard the motor I use a flip up helmet,and there a little noisier than fulls. zteck, no noise, no tuberlance, I'm 6'3, but not everybody sits the same on a bike happy hunting thumbsup.gif

I dunno, maybe its just me, but I find the windscreen controversey blown way out of proportion. I believe most riders just "think" they need to change the stock screen, because everyone does. I find the stock set up on the RT to be the quietest in motorcycling. Somehow, a lot of guys seek no wind noise, buffeting, or turbulence on sport touring bike? If removing the sensation of being on motorcycle is what you seek, I don't understand why buy a sport touring bike?

It has been my experience the RT is as about as good as it gets. I gotta believe the stock screen, designed, produced, and configured for the motorcycle is going to be the best option. I'm sure the design was born in the elaborate wind tunnels and testing grounds of BMW, involving thousands of hours of R and D, and costing big $$$. Built to be not only functional, but to blend with the lines of the bike. How a coupde of guys in a garage think they can do it better I dunno, but they got a lot of folks convinced they can.

Just my 2 cents, but to each his own. Good luck to all those seeking the the Holy Grail of a motorcycle with NO wind noise, or buffeting. lmao.gif

I find the stock set up on the RT to be the quietest in motorcycling.

I don't know if it is the quietest, but I agree with you that it is very good. I was struck by the stories of dramatic improvements and tempted to switch, until I really paid attention to the stock one and concluded that it works just fine. I reached a similar conclusion about the stock low seat.

I don't know if it is the quietest, but I agree with you that it is very good. I was struck by the stories of dramatic improvements and tempted to switch, until I really paid attention to the stock one and concluded that it works just fine. I reached a similar conclusion about the stock low seat.

When I first started playing around with the idea of improving on the R1100RT windshield, I came to the conclusion that people shorter than 5'9" were completely happy with the stock windshield. Now 10 years later I am trying to come up with something that works FOR ME on the R1200RT. I am just assuming that BMW worked out the stock windshield on the R1200RT to work fairly well for a similar sized rider but have had no way to test that since the shortest person I ride with is 5'10". There is likely to be a huge difference between someone that orders the low seat and someone that uses the normal seat in the high position, like me.

I don't believe someone's overall height really is the issue with regard windscreen choice. It seems to me we should be talking about torso length. For example, I am a tad over 5'10". However, my inseam is only 30" so my torso is long. When I'm sitting, my head is at the same height as most guys who are over 6' tall.

So, despite the fact I have to put the seat in the low position to reach the ground, I still found myself having to raise the stock w/s nearly all the way up to reduce both noise and buffeting. But I just did not like a sail in front of me.

The ZTech allows me to lower the w/s to a point where I find the ride more enjoyable - particularly in clean air at speed. For my commute behind cagers and pick-ups, well I just put up with a bit more buffeting (Whaaa! frown.gif).

But I think it's safe to say ... one size does not fit all. If that were true we'd all wear size XXXXL and just learn to compensate. wink.gif Ooops! What am I saying, that's what many young guys do already! smirk.gif

I'm sure the design was born in the elaborate wind tunnels and testing grounds of BMW, involving thousands of hours of R and D, and costing big $$$...

And do you think that they designed the screen to match the American body habitus or that of the rest of the world? A wind screen can only be designed to work with a restricted range of body sizes. If your 6'5", I'm pretty sure BMW did not throw all their funds to find a screen to suit you; same with the gal that is 5'6" and riding an RT (although I doubt she'd be complaining about coverage). The research dollars have to match the the mean of the distribution - which is probably 5'9" - 5'11" - otherwise they would be spending money in the wrong places.

Maybe I'm nuts but I don't think one size does not fit all when it comes to windscreens. That said, I am 6' and the stock setup is is great, but it's the pillion that suffers.

As always a lot of good opinions. A bare fact is that the VTech is a good windshield and the stock one is also a good windshield. I do prefer the larger one when it is cold but I do dislike the buffeting and the feel of instability in turbulence.

It really did not struck me as much when I mounted the VTech as it did now going back to stock.

A good bike with a lot of options available, what more can we say.

h

No, I think they designed the screen just for the populace you mentioned, of which I'm a member at 5"8. I do belive a screen that is taller or wider then the stock is gonna have a negative effect on tire life, mpg, top end performace and anything else that has to do with aerodynamics, no getting around big screens=drag.

I agree. thumbsup.gif Do you remember Inspector Gadget? I would be nice to have that 'go-go-gadget-windscreen'. You could make it expand in any axis on voice command!

I just recently took off the Vstream and put the stock ws back on. I did it only for summer airflow. The Vstream blocked too much air at my shoulders. I just bought a Venting Machine suit and I need air flow for it to work. I'm sure I'll put the Vstream back on in the fall.

Methinks the stock (or any) screen may be improved by better airflow up the BACK side, to relieve the pressure difference between front and back. The greater the delta between pressure behind the screen and ambient, the more the airflow is induced to tumble into the low pressure bubble, in the form of turbulence and buffeting.

Try this cheap trick: Use spacers to raise your screen further up off its mount, allowing more air to come up its back side. Radiusing the leading (lower) edge of the screen will help somewhat, as will improved ducting or pathway(s) up the back side.

ZTechnik uses a clever hourglass shape to induce the screen-shed vortices further away from the driver's helmet, which then sits in relatively calmer air, making for less noise and buffeting at that particular place. The vortex, though, has to come back in SOMEWHERE, and that somewhere my unfortunately right where the pillion's helmet is.

Speaking of helmets, have you checked yours for the gap between visor and shell? Just as you don't want a noisy air leak on the window of your car due to poor fit of the weatherstrip/glass, you don't want the same problem with your helmet, esp. right next to your ears. You want a continuously snug fit between visor and helmet shell, especially near the ears.

Flip helmets are the worst, due to more gaps and to the ability of the chin piece to rattle and transmit noise right to your ears. Your jawbone does the same thing, by the way, as much of the sound you hear is transmitted to your eardrums via the mandible.

Archived