IGNORED

2001 R1100RT only starts in neutral?

GordonB

I am looking at a purchase of an 01 RT, the bike will only start in nuetral, not in gear with the clutch in. I believe it is a faulty clutch switch, seller says his '01 never started while in gear, am I missing something here?

GordonB,

I edited your title to make it more descriptive. I don't know that much about the R1100RT's clutch/neutral/sidestand switch problems though I do know they have cropped up here with some regularity in the past. Hopefully, someone will see your post and give you the answer you're looking for.

Stan Walker

I believe it is a faulty clutch switch, seller says his '01 never started while in gear, am I missing something here?

Not you, the seller was missing a working clutch switch.

Pretty easy fix.

Stan

Not a good idea Jim. The bike will then start in gear if you forget to pull the clutch, and a save will be necessary before you get dumped on your butt !

Not a good idea Jim. The bike will then start in gear if you forget to pull the clutch, and a save will be necessary before you get dumped on your butt !

You're 100% correct. I just can't stand the idea of replacing an unreliable switch with another unreliable switch. YMMV.

Archived