Why can't I lower my RT by adjusting my Ohlins?

paulcbrowne

paulcbrowne

I'm looking at pictures of Ohlins shocks in some installation instructions posted on this site. Both the front and the rear shocks have threaded spring perches. Anyone know why I can't lower my bike by simply dialing these perches so that the spring sits lower? I'd love to get 3/4" lower and this looks like it would work.

When I raced in SCCA, I has similar shocks and used to move the perches often to "weight jack" the car and adjust ride height. Even if the spring had no preload or even a little psace, it was still not going anywhere.

Jim VonBaden

In general, merely moving the threaded nuts WILL lower your bike, however it comes at the big price of reducing your preload and sag. Handling will be effected, almost surely in a negative way.

IF your shocks have threaded nuts on both top and bottom, you can achieve a bit of lowering by moving both sets of nuts, and lock nuts, upwards in equal amounts. This wont effect preload, but may affect handling if you can't get both shocks adjusted the same amount.

Jim cool.gif

You can lower the bike with Ohlins, but it requires installation of some internal spacers by an authorized service centre. It does reduce the stroke of the shock by the same amount as the spacers, though. I had mine spaced about halfway between the standard shocks and the lowering shocks for the 1200GS.

Archived