IGNORED

Nav III GPS Help - Following Tracks

KentB

Last weekend my Nav III recorded my track as I followed some friends through a series of great roads. This weekend I'd like to pull up the track and follow it. How can I do that?

I've figured out how to pull the track out of the GPS into my mapsource software. It looks nice on my screen. But I can't figure out how to see it on the GPS, or get the GPS to guide me along that track. How can I follow a previous track if I can't see it on the GPS? I can't be the first person to want to do this. There must be a way, right?

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

John Bentall

I import the track(s) into my Mapsource software and then use the route tool to trace over the track. One can remove all the false turn this wat as well!

Then download the route back into the GPS.

Stan Walker

This works on my Garmin 276C. It may not work on some "automotive" units, many of which have been stripped of many useful features. The 276C starts life as a marine unit that also supports automotive needs.

First I save the track. Then I go into the tabbed page with all the saved tracks and select it. That brings up a window that includes a "TracBack" button which I highlight and select. I respond yes to the "Do you want to navigate the entire track". Lastly I select the direction to Navigate, ether Original or Reverse. The GPS processes then returns to the map screen with the route selected and ready to use.

My Garmin 60CS GPS that I use mostly for hiking also support a "TracBack" feature.

HTH

Stan

I import the track(s) into my Mapsource software and then use the route tool to trace over the track.

Thanks for the tip. I tried this method and it worked (kind of). I used the route tool to trace the track. Then, I saved the route on the GPS. Next, I selected the route on the GPS and pressed the button to navigate that route. But, contrary to my hopes, it did not provide turn by turn directions. Instead, it made a dotted line visible for me to follow on the map. Following that dotted line wasn't easy, but it was doable, and I was able to lead a group on a fairly good ride. (I would have preferred turn by turn directions.)

Is anyone able to get turn by turn directions on a route or a track? Did I do something wrong?

Thanks for all your help. Sorry I'm such a noob with this GPS.

First I save the track. Then I go into the tabbed page with all the saved tracks and select it...

HTH

Stan

Thanks, Stan, but you lost me at saving the track. I can't find a way to save a track on my GPS or view a track on my GPS. I'd love to find a trackback feature like you mentioned, but I can't seem to find it.

I'll keep digging around and see what I can find.

First I save the track. Then I go into the tabbed page with all the saved tracks and select it...

HTH

Stan

Thanks for the tips but you lost me at saving the track, Stan. grin.gif I can't figure out a way to save or view a track on my GPS. I'd love to use a trackback feature like you mentioned I just can't find one.

I'll keep digging around and see what I can find.

John Bentall

Once you have finished tracing, the Mapsource software should recalcalate the route giving you total elapsed time and directions. Then send the waypoints and route and NOT THE TRACKS back to the GPS.

Try running a route simulation next time to check it out.

John, I think recalculating the route like you mentioned is the key. I think mapsource never calculated the routes after I drew them. I think I figured out how to get mapsource to calculate the routes, now, so hopefully it will work when I try it out tomorrow.

Archived