IGNORED

Anger management - avoiding the 'Red Mist'

DOK

OK, what do you guys do to control your anger when some idiot tries to kill you?

Coming home this evening, approaching a light-controlled junction with lights at red, I'm in lane 2 closing on a car in lane 1. About 75 yards from the junction, as I reach almost level with him, he indicates and at the same time starts to move into my space. Now I try to anticipate so this wasn't a total surprise but I sound my horn and he looks at me and simply stares and keeps on coming (I guess the fact that he looked was a bonus crazy.gif). Anyway, I brake and pull behind him into lane 1 (which he has just vacated and is totally empty in front of us confused.gif). The lights are still red so I pull up beside him and he winds down his mirror and says - wait for it - "whats up with you, mate, didn't you see my indicator?"

Well at that point, I'm afraid I lost it and let rip with some choice words. OK, no harm done - except that in my anger, I lost concentration and as the lights changed and I went to pull away, I overlooked the fact that another car had pulled up very close to me on the inside. Nothing happened but it shook me up to think what might have happened - and all because I lost my cool.

I have tried to recognize that, for me, the anger is a response to fear. Saturday I had a guy in St. Louis do the same thing.

Since he could just as easily wipe me out "accidentally" I just slowed down, and let him go.

But it is not always easy. I have to remind myself that I will always lose with a car or truck.

russell_bynum

The thing you did wrong in that situation was use your horn. That's a passive device that relies on someone else hearing it and reacting appropriately.

The time you spent honking could have been spent moving yourself out of harm's way.

If you're sitting there with your thumb on the horn, you've got lots of time to ponder what an idiot this guy is. You get mad.

If you recognize the threat, make your move to get away from it, and keep on with your ride, there's no time to get mad.

Avoid the 'Red Mist' by not dwelling on the situation. Just react and get on with your ride. After all, at the end of the day, you had a great ride, and he's still an a**hole. So you come out ahead. cool.gif

The thing you did wrong in that situation was use your horn

My use of the horn was intended as a warning, sounded early, to alert him to the fact that I was there. Once I realised he wasn't interested in the fact that I was there, I did move out of the way - in fact, I was already re-positioning and covering the brake. What made me mad wasn't the fact that he did it - I'm used to that - it was his stupid comment.

Most times ,when someone does something stupid, I deal with it, move on and forget them but this time I lost it.

russell_bynum

My use of the horn was intended as a warning, sounded early, to alert him to the fact that I was there. Once I realised he wasn't interested in the fact that I was there, I did move out of the way - in fact, I was already re-positioning and covering the brake. What made me mad wasn't the fact that he did it - I'm used to that - it was his stupid comment.

Right. Like I said...you were expecting him to react favorably. He didn't, and it pissed you off.

Don't expect a favorable reaction. Just see what he's doing, move yourself out of harm's way, and be done with it.

Actually it seems like your only mistake was in expecting him to hear and respond to your horn. I mean the guy's got his tunes and the cell phone going, the windows are rolled up and he's balancing his triple latte on his lap -- I mean, he's DRIVING, so cut him a break! dopeslap.gif

The lights are still red so I pull up beside him and he winds down his mirror and says - wait for it - "whats up with you, mate, didn't you see my indicator?"

I have had that happen occasionally. One time a guy in a new Jag did it. He consinued to look right at me while attempting to slowly move over and push me into oncoming traffic. I kicked the door hard enough to leave a nice dent.

Normally my response is just something like "Just because you turn on your signal, doesn't give you the right to drive over me."

Couchrocket

As far as the anger reaction goes...

If I understand you correctly, what he did didn't jeopardize your safety, he just nabbed your spot "in front" by doing a silly pull over in front of you. The way I read you post is that you had plenty of time to stop behind him w/o panic stopping? Is that right?

OK, let's assume it is. You're angry because he was rude. People are rude.

The cause of this kind of anger, in my own experience, is that I'm harboring "expectations" of how other people will behave. When I hold these expectations, I set myself up for disappointment and anger responses because people do what people do, with little regard for my expectations. grin.gif How DARE they do this? lmao.gif

For the last couple of decades, I've been trying to "delete" expectations from my life. Good ones and bad ones. I try not to "expect" anything, except the unexpected. Then I'm good to go. "The rain falls on the just and the unjust." (God) "Que sera, sera, people!" (Sandra Bullock)

I know that I do stupid and rude things from time to time, even though one of my goals in life is not to do stupid and rude things. So, when I see someone else do stupid and rude things from time to time it doesn't surprise me. Maybe he/she is just habitually stupid and rude, or maybe (like me) it is one of those times when it just "slipped out." Either way, I'm not going to cede my own emotions into the hands of the stupid and rude. I don't need the extra blood pressure, distraction, etc. dopeslap.gif

I'd rather spend my emotional energy on the good things. One of which is paying attention while I'm riding so that the stupid and rude don't have as good a chance to kill me as they might otherwise have.

This is GREAT ADVICE . . . If I could keep it myself more consistently than I do, I'd be stylin'. grin.gif

I guess you think that someone using their turn signal is a request to move into your lane as opposed to just a notification that they are on their way over and nothing you can do to stop them. He wasn't asking permission (which you denied with a beep of the horn), he was using his signal to say, "Hey y'all, watch out back there!" You end up back in the "But, I had the right-of-way. Yes, but you're dead now." scenario.

I take a second and think of a big cartoon hammer smashing them, laugh to myself and move on. Why mess with a great day of riding. You will never see them again and maybe they are just late picking up their kid. Let it go. Just ride and enjoy life.

ShovelStrokeEd

I'm mostly with Russell, I'm pretty sure I have a horn on my bike, I can see it. Not at all sure I know what it sounds like, probably a pitiful little bleat. I just don't use it. There are two tools for managing that situation I much prefer, the throttle or the brake lever.

I have to confess, had I gotten the stern lecture about "didn't you see my indicator?" I probably would have lost it. Good chance his near side mirror would have wound up in his lap. eek.gif

I had some jagoff riding me last week. Once I was able to jocky around and get away from him, I flipped open my Nolan and asked him "Can you please stay the F off my tail, Thank you".

I think This helps a little too as sometimes I have severe anger issues when provoked blush.gif

Well a little self-righteous smugness never hurts! Just think and realize actually it's true, "I'm a better driver than he is because I just correctly reacted to a situation that he caused by being an incompetent one." Congratulate yourself on being better, then go on enjoying your abilities.

And I guess at least in this situation, realize he didn't actually try to 'kill' you. He might have accidentally done so if it were not for your better skills than his, but in reality that was not his intent. His intent was only a self-absorbed desire to get into the lane he wanted to. I.e. - Don't take it as a personal attack on you. Not to say at times it doesn't happen, but 99% of the time peoples actions' toward bikers aren't with malice, but only with disregard.

I guess what I'm saying is when someone almost takes me out, my reaction is more to congratulate myself on correctly reading and reacting to the situation than directing anger at the cause. I can't change that anyway, why waste the energy? After so many incidents over the years they all just become a moment, then I HAVE TO get 'back in the game.' To be ready for the next bonehead!

He was right, dead right, as he sped along.

And now he's as dead as if he'd been wrong.

If you're operating under the assumption that a motorcycle is a legal vehicle that has an equal right to road space, and that other drivers will cooperate and stay out of your way, I suggest you give up motorcycling before it's too late.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but smaller vehicles are at the bottom of the chain. You either move it, or lose it. It's survival, mate. Your job as a motorcyclist is to get the fork out of the way of everyone else. That's why motorcycles are so maneuverable.

It's a lot easier to avoid inhaling the red mist if you understand your role in traffic. Nothing anyone does should be surprising. If you didn't get out of the way, it's your fault. Blaming other drivers for their behavior (even if it is stupid, aggressive, disrespectful, illegal, etc.) is like blaming the rain for falling.

Now, if you do inhale the red mist, make a point of pulling over immediately for a little chat with yourself before you do something really dumb. And if you just can't calm down after some idiot's transgressions, my suggestion is to get yourself some psych counseling. Really.

pmdave

as I reach almost level with him, he indicates and at the same time starts to move into my space.

If I am reading your narrative correctly, you weren't next to him yet when he pulled into your lane, just about to be there due to your higher speed. If that is the case, you hardly have anything to be upset about. As someone else said, many drivers assume a turn signal gives them the right to pull in front of someone. They're just clueless; what else is new. I have had drivers pull into my lane when I am right next to them. Sometimes they see me and correct back into their own lane. Sometimes they see me and keep moving anyway. Sometimes they never even notice I am there. I just yell at them into my helmet for nobody's benefit but my own, and get on with life.

Francois_Dumas
Not at all sure I know what it sounds like, probably a pitiful little bleat.

Actually, it is pretty loud !!

I know because I still inadvertedly hit it when turning the left turn signal light on.....

That's also the ONLY time I ever use it...... when in danger... or even thinking I might be.. I make myself scarce.

I don't get angry..... the morons that would deserve it, would not 'feel' it anyway.. it would do me no good and just waste my energy. And safety.

Life is too short to waste on stupid, ignorant, arrogant or just too-low-educated people wink.gif

My 0.02 of any currency.

Matts_12GS
[

Life is too short to waste on stupid, ignorant, arrogant or just too-low-educated people wink.gif

Well said Francois! My brother frequently questions why anyone would get mad about anything not absolutely necessary. All you are doing is dumping a lot of dangerous chemicals (like adrenaline) into your body and taxing your systems.

Agent_Orange

Geees. When I first read the heading I thought that you had put a hollow-point through someones ear and had to avoid said 'red mist'. tongue.gifdopeslap.giflmao.gif

I'll be the first to admit that it is very difficult to ignore certain driving behaviors, but it does get easier with time and practice.

If someone irks me on the road, I usually give them a loud horn blast(after the fact) and then, once I get their attention, I give them a hand signal of my displeasure. No, I don't flip people off, its' usally somehitng having to due to with my right of way or I'll mime a cellphone to my head and wag my head back and forth like I'm yacking away. Then I let it go.

If I can't get their attention to show my displeasure, I just let it go.

Either way, I just get mad for a second and then let it go. I figure that the brain cycles I'm wasting on getting angry only detract from my focus on riding. The sooner I let the anger go, the more attention I have to pay to riding.

I too thought of something else when you mentioned "red eek.gif mist", large caliber hollow point passing thru the miscreants brain perhaps. Until my nephews all started riding, I was much more tolerant. The thought of some witless ba***rd killing one of them has changed my attitude. Kill em all, wherever and whenever you can find one. If I am ever on a jury in a case where someone has followed my advice I intend to hang the jury or talk the rest into a more reasonable definition of justifiable homicide.

you were expecting him to react favorably. He didn't, and it pissed you off

No, like I said in my original post, what pissed me off was his comment re the indicator. His actions I come to expect (again, read my post).

If I understand you correctly, what he did didn't jeopardize your safety, he just nabbed your spot "in front"

Wrong, he did jeopardize my safety. Remember that I was traveling faster than him and when he started his move I was almost level with him so he was actually moving into space that I was in the process of occupying. It's not quite the same as pulling into the space "in front" of me.

I'm mostly with Russell, I'm pretty sure I have a horn on my bike, I can see it. Not at all sure I know what it sounds like, probably a pitiful little bleat. I just don't use it. There are two tools for managing that situation I much prefer, the throttle or the brake lever.

Interesting philosophy. So you're riding along and there's a junction coming up on your side of the road and a vehicle pulls up wanting to turn across your path into the road you are on. You are not sure he has seen you - he's looking the other way - your reaction is to slow down and stop if necessary until sure he has seen you? Why not give him three short blasts of the horn to attract his attention to you?

ShovelStrokeEd

Why not indeed? Mostly because it is unlikely that he will even hear the horn, uncertain if he will react in any favorable way if he does hear it, and blowing the horn and then waiting to see if there is an appropriate reaction from the driver eats up valuable time/distance in which I could better prepare for his eventual pull across my path. Yes, I do slow and reposition myself so that I am better able to take further evasive action should it become necessary.

I don't think its wrong to inform the offender of his/her offense.

Hopefully they will not make the same mistake again but...... confused.gif

I also like to acknowledge drivers that extend courtesy to me no matter what my mode of transportation is.

I don't think its wrong to inform the offender of his/her offense

I wasn't "informing him of his offense", at least not in a reproachful way - I was alerting him to the fact that I was already there - and before anyone else says it, whilst also starting to take avoiding action.

russell_bynum
Why not indeed? Mostly because it is unlikely that he will even hear the horn, uncertain if he will react in any favorable way if he does hear it, and blowing the horn and then waiting to see if there is an appropriate reaction from the driver eats up valuable time/distance in which I could better prepare for his eventual pull across my path. Yes, I do slow and reposition myself so that I am better able to take further evasive action should it become necessary.

+1

One of the most valuable lesssons that Dick Frantz (Master Yoda) taught me is: Nobody is responsible for my wellbeing except me.

If someone else accidentally does something that keeps me alive and kicking...that's great! But I'm not counting on it or even expecting it. I see a threat, I adjust my position/speed/direction to avoid it.

You were pissed because he didn't react the way you wanted him to. (You wanted him to hear your horn and stop encroaching on your space. Failing that, you wanted him to have some attitude other than "I had my signal on, it was your responsibility to let me in." He didn't live up to those expectations, and you got mad.

Don't have those expectations in the first place.

I'm fortunate that I haven't had that many close calls.

The ones that I have had left me mentally uncoordinated to activate the horn wiliest avoiding the situation crazy.gif

Nothing happened but it shook me up to think what might have happened - and all because I lost my cool.

You've summed it up nicely right there. So, how do you avoid losing your cool? First off, as others have said, you put yourself physically in the best place you can be. Second, you lower your expectations of others: their perceptual abilities, judgement and goodwill towards you. Third, you train your reflexes so that dodging a guy like this is as normal as changing lanes. If you truly expect this sort of thing and are actually prepared for it, what cause is there for losing your cool? You could just as well have laughed at the guy as let it rip.

The gulf between what might have happened and what did happen is as wide as the nile.

OK, what do you guys do to control your anger when some idiot tries to kill you?

Coming home this evening, approaching a light-controlled junction with lights at red, I'm in lane 2 closing on a car in lane 1. About 75 yards from the junction, as I reach almost level with him, he indicates and at the same time starts to move into my space. Now I try to anticipate so this wasn't a total surprise but I sound my horn and he looks at me and simply stares and keeps on coming (I guess the fact that he looked was a bonus crazy.gif). Anyway, I brake and pull behind him into lane 1 (which he has just vacated and is totally empty in front of us confused.gif). The lights are still red so I pull up beside him and he winds down his mirror and says - wait for it - "whats up with you, mate, didn't you see my indicator?"

Well at that point, I'm afraid I lost it and let rip with some choice words. OK, no harm done - except that in my anger, I lost concentration and as the lights changed and I went to pull away, I overlooked the fact that another car had pulled up very close to me on the inside. Nothing happened but it shook me up to think what might have happened - and all because I lost my cool.

I try and detatch myself from the emotion of high-density driving/riding. When someone does something I am half expecting I deliberately feel smug about my foresight. In response to the question you got, i would have taken my lead from Catherine Tate. "Whateva".

It all helps to reduce my stress levels and cope with a world where people would rather put themselves and others at risk than give up two or three seconds of time.

How important are those two or three seconds to you?

Andy

...after four or five rounds, the anger dissapates...

I analyze the problem. What could I have done to see/avoid/react better so I don't get fooled again.

Regards,

wrestleantares

If I had time to hit the horn to "warn" the guy his move is not okay then it wasn't a real emergency.

A horn is only good for two things IMO:

1. To let the driver sipping hios coffee, talking on the cell phone and listening to his radio that the light turned green about a minute ago.

2. To pass my motorcycle inspection.

Like I said, it I have to react to the person in front by using brake, clutch, checking out final look at my exit, and swerving then the last thing on my mind is the horn.

Some use the horn as a "you already screwed me and here is the closest thing to a profanity you can actually hear device." I find my ride is more pleasant if I just leave the offender in my rear view mirror as quickly as possible.

DOK,

I've seen the red mist and know it well.

What I do, is slow down and increase my following distance, put some jazz on the music player (preferably McCoy Tyner, John Coltane, Wynton Kelly or perhaps, selected Miles Davis; rock is good, but seems to increase my aggression) and chill.

This type of idiotic driving maneuver happens to me all the time when I'm in my car (Miata) out here in idyllic Utah. I am certain that we have the worst drivers in the United States and perhaps the world.

Remember that you are invisible and that drivers in general are distracted and really don't care about their safety or yours. Try to stay alive and avoid these idiots.

That said, my big brother's philosphy was to carry a pistol in his tank bag. I'd be on death row if I did that. . .

Be careful out there, and ride safe, my friend.

Personally I think the original poster reacted properly.

I drive defensively all the time and am constantly watching out for others that are not paying 100% attention to driving, if they were they would see us and not do things that endanger others, especially those of us on motorcycles.

If we merely let these idiots get away with their bad behaviour, they will continue to drive in ways that put others at risk. When a child does something that is dangerous do you just ignore it or do you correct them? Yeah, yeah, I know that's a stretch but not totally irrevelent.

I try very hard to not get angry when someone does something stupid but I do let them know by either a blast of the horn, shake of my finger, (no, not that one), or sometimes I just shake my head in disbelief. Hopefully they get the point and wake up. If something I do wakes up just one person then it's worth it, to me anyway.

Just my two cents.

Horns aren't just for "emergencies".

From California Driver's Handbook

HORN, HEADLIGHTS, and EMERGENCY SIGNALS

Use Your Horn

When necessary to avoid accidents. Don’t honk at other times.

Try to get “eye contact” with other drivers. Tap your horn to alert another driver who might turn in front of you.

On narrow mountain roads, where you cannot see at least 200 feet ahead.

Don't Use Your Horn

If a driver is going slowly, and you want him or her to drive faster. The driver may be ill, lost, or having problems with the vehicle.

If slowing or stopping your car will prevent an accident. It’s safer to use the brakes than honk the horn.

To show other drivers that they made a mistake. Your honking may cause them to make more mistakes.

Because you are angry or upset.

Judicious use of the horn may educate some, it may anger others.

Curious that they indicate it is appropriate to use in the mountains with limited visibility.

In some societies the horn gives you de facto right of way.

I think some avoid the use because they don't want to be known as horny. smirk.gif

Curious that they indicate it is appropriate to use in the mountains with limited visibility.

Not if you've driven in such said mountains.

Eric,

The mountains I've ridden in are replete with blind corners. I'm not sure how honking would help.

Does it give right of way?

Does it alert an on-coming driver?

Or, is it supposed to scare the deer?

Sorry for the hijack. crazy.gif

I was taught the horn is to "Give audible warning of approach" - so I would say it is to let other drivers know you are coming and not to cut the corner.

Andy

These roads are one lane wide.

They may or not be paved.

They include service, fire & logging roads.

The intent is to announce your presence as sound will travel & hopefully be heard by an opposing approaching vehicle.

As far as right of way,

When two vehicles meet on a steep road where neither can pass, the vehicle facing downhill must yield the right of way by backing up until the vehicle going uphill can pass. The vehicle facing downhill has the greater amount of control when backing.

John Bentall

Pardon me, but what makes you think people who drive like that will ever learn to mend their driving habits, however loud you shout? Yes, he may we go to kill another less experienced rider and suffer remorse for doing so. It is up to the other riders to equip themselves with the skills to avoid him.

The thing you did wrong in that situation was use your horn. That's a passive device that relies on someone else hearing it and reacting appropriately.

The time you spent honking could have been spent moving yourself out of harm's way.

If you're sitting there with your thumb on the horn, you've got lots of time to ponder what an idiot this guy is. You get mad.

If you recognize the threat, make your move to get away from it, and keep on with your ride, there's no time to get mad.

Avoid the 'Red Mist' by not dwelling on the situation. Just react and get on with your ride. After all, at the end of the day, you had a great ride, and he's still an a**hole. So you come out ahead. cool.gif

This is EXACTLY right. It doesn't help to be dead right when you are on a motorcycle. When someone does something like that to me, I just take care of the problem by adjusting my position for my safety. If the opportunity presents itself, a stop light or such, just shake your head at them and let it go.

Often times, a rider will rev and accelerate as a means of a pissing contest but end up hitting something else because of the inattention.

The first time I went to Torrey with Leslie, Jamie and Sean, we were about 30 minutes our of Mesquite Nevada. I am riding sweep when two big rigs pull over into the left lane without blinkers. Just a quick sudden move into my lane. I'm thinking WTF!?!. They separated me from the front three. I get annoyed wick it up and head up the right lane. I'm doing about 120 when I see what the heck they were changing for. A road maintenance truck. I hit my brakes for all they are worth as there are two big rigs to my left and a stopped vehicle in front. I passed the stopped vehicle on the right at about 30 mph as I just could not get stopped. This would have been a horrible solution as well if road workers happened to be to the right of that vehicle. I think of that incident whenever what you described happens to me. I could have just relaxed and waited for the big rigs to move back over.

The "Red Mist" can easily cost you your life.

I drive defensively all the time and am constantly watching out for others that are not paying 100% attention to driving, if they were they would see us and not do things that endanger others, especially those of us on motorcycles.

If we merely let these idiots get away with their bad behavior, they will continue to drive in ways that put others at risk. When a child does something that is dangerous do you just ignore it or do you correct them? Yeah, yeah, I know that's a stretch but not totally irreverent.

I try very hard to not get angry when someone does something stupid but I do let them know by either a blast of the horn, shake of my finger, (no, not that one), or sometimes I just shake my head in disbelief. Hopefully they get the point and wake up. If something I do wakes up just one person then it's worth it, to me anyway.

Just my two cents.

But you're toiling under same mistaken presumption that DOK (to some extent) is; that you can some how modify other's actions. You cannot. All the horn honking, fist shaking, cussing, whatever, whatever, whatever will not 'get through to' and thus modify their behavior in any way. To think different is at best overly optimistic, at worst a fatal mindset to have. Your best chance of staying alive on a motorcycle is when you come to terms with the fact that nothing at all helps and 100% of the responsibility to avoid every potentially damaging situation rest with you.
Francois_Dumas
nothing at all[/i] helps and 100% of the responsibility to avoid every potentially damaging situation rest with you.

Actually both my father and I have used that policy for all our lives even when driving a car...... it helped so far ! My dad's 88 this year and just got his driver's license renewed ! clap.gif

I had a roommate that kept a small pipe on his bike. In the event someone pissed him off, he would throw the pipe at them - he never did it, but the thought made him...well...it didn't do anything for him, frankly. He was still pissed off when he got home. I didn't like the idea of being violent on the road.

Years ago at Eastertime, we would hollow out eggs(instead of hard-boiling), and then decorate them. Now, I still do the same, though I fill them with paint remover, and duct tape the little holes in the end. When someone comes close to killing me, SPLAT!! There, now I feel better, and no nasty-looking pipe to carry around.

lurker.gif

If we merely let these idiots get away with their bad behavior, they will continue to drive in ways that put others at risk. When a child does something that is dangerous do you just ignore it or do you correct them? Yeah, yeah, I know that's a stretch but not totally irreverent.

Just my two cents.

But you're toiling under same mistaken presumption that DOK (to some extent) is; that you can some how modify other's actions. You cannot. All the horn honking, fist shaking, cussing, whatever, whatever, whatever will not 'get through to' and thus modify their behavior in any way. To think different is at best overly optimistic, at worst a fatal mindset to have. Your best chance of staying alive on a motorcycle is when you come to terms with the fact that nothing at all helps and 100% of the responsibility to avoid every potentially damaging situation rest with you.

Optimism is much better than pessimissm in my opinion.

"Fatal mindset"? - I drive very defensively and am constantly situationally aware at all times, probably more so than many, as my mother was a Driver's Ed teacher, and I was taught properly. She would have flunked most of the drivers on the road today if for nothing more than not signalling.

I had the occation today, once again, to wish I had the ability to freeze all motion for everything around me. I could then get off my bike and walk over to the guy in the car that's screwing with me. I'd just like to ask him why he thinks he's more important than I am. Why does he think it's okay to try and kill me?

I'm sure, were I granted this miraculous power, that the most common answer would be, "Gosh, I didn't see you." or "I didn't know you were going that fast." How about, "I had plenty of room." or "You had lots of room to stop."

My view of life is that everyone is the hero of their own world and the central character in their life story. The rest of us are supporting characters. On a motorcycle, some of us are moving traffic cones, impediments, and not worth notice in the "hero's" story. Just let him go; he's in his fantasy world.

Archived