Installation of Wunderlich Engine Guard - R1200ST

bmurphypdx

bmurphypdx

I received the Wunderlich engine guard / crash bars yesterday. I am sure the German language instructions would answer my questions, if only I could read German! BMW Santa Cruz apparently does not yet have installation instructions translated into English. I could not find any on the Internet anywhere. Does anyone here have experience installing these? I'm stuck at the first step, I cannot determine how the top piece attaches to the frame/engine.

Thanks

Bill Murphy

BucksTherapy

The center section is tube steel with two arms welded to either end. One of these bars has a spacer welded to the end. Staring on the right side, maneuver the center section so both bar ends line up on bolts on either side of the block. This can take some playing and won't be accomplished without rotating the center section more the 180 twice. You can see this in the pic on the German instructions.

Next you install the base which is the square bracket. This mounts to the bottom of the block in obvious bolt positions. I would start wiht the front long bolt first, then swing the bracket up into posion and install the other bolts.

Finally the side brackets go on and will only fit the other two brackets one way. The bottom of the side brackets are outside the base.

It is now time for a cold one.

bmurphypdx

Thanks. I will likely have another question but, first, I will take your instructions down to the bike and see if I can figure out how the various pieces attach.

bmurphypdx

Bucks Therapy, I could not attach a pdf file using this system so I e-mailed a copy of the document to you with a question about Step 1. Any help you can provide is appreciated. I'm sitting here scratching my head not wanting to proceed until I know what I'm doing. Thanks.

bmurphypdx

Thanks but those are for the RT while I have the ST and the bars and installation are quite different.

shatzbot10

I had very similar problems. I could not align the 3 bolts/holes on the bottom of the block despite numerous combinations of approaches. I determined that the "protector" needed prodding by a professional. The instructions (as per SABMW) suggest this. I didn't realize I'd need this kind of assist until after I purchased the device. I sent the entire apparati back to SABMW with a note claiming an adjustment was needed. Ten days later the package was returned.....no note, no suggestions, nuthin'. I solved the problem by bending the protector with a 5' "cheater" bar I happended to have.

I do worry about the shear stress on the rear bolt possibly causing a fracture in the block.

Thanks but those are for the RT while I have the ST and the bars and installation are quite different.

Oops! Guess I should learn to read! tongue.gif

Archived