IGNORED

R1200rt seats

bmwdavid

I am looking for a solution to my seating problems. First set of seats were Rick Mayer dual leather seats. Comfortable for a couple hours but not the most comfortable. The reach wasn't too bad but not a really comfortable seat.Rick's seat also suffered from staples protruding thru the leather(must have used too long a staple). Sold those and bought Russell with vinyl sides and leather seating. I begged them to build as low as humanly possible and spoke to the seat builder 3 times.The seat is too tall. Even though I slide completely forward towards the tank at a stop, the wings dig into my butt when my left foot is balancing the bike. Very comfortable seat but I think it is just too tall. Has anyone tried the regular height Sargeant? How comfortable are the sargeant? Is there any other company that offers a seat as low or lower than the stock regular seat that is comfortable for long distance. I don't think I want the low sargeant because to lose 2" in height they must sacrifice comfort over their regular height seat. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am at my wits end. I've spent way too much time and money already and am back to square one.

Here is an option. BMW makes a low seat. Not very comfortable for the long haul. Add either the beads or the sheep skin. Cheaper than Sargent and others.

All those NYC cab drivers can't be wrong.

I am not sure where your located, but in the Seattle area there is a place call Rich’s (http://www.richscustomseats.com/) that I have had great success with, on other bikes. The biggest benefit is that you can be on site when he builds the seat. I took my seat out for several test rides to fine tune it during the process. I am fairly confident that most independent builders would be willing to do the same. As for the big guys my feeling is they offer a better out of the box seat than stock, but little in real custom work.

That all said, I am still riding on my stock seat breaking it in, I only have 17000 miles and its getting better….

Good luck!

clap.gif

I ordered the normal sized Sargent a couple thousand miles ago and am very happy with it. Looks great on the bike and so much more comfortable than stock. I'm 5'11", 165lbs, 32" inseam and stand on the balls of both feet at stops. If I slide forward I can stand flat footed. I measured seat height on centerstand at 34 1/2" from ground to highest part of welt on seat wing. Hope that helps. Good luck...Ed

I had the low sergeant seat and it was at least as comfotable as the Mayer Day-Long which was too tall. The two seat postions work out well with the low seat. I am 6'3 with 32" inseam. thumbsup.gif

JustKrusen

I'm also using a Sargent seat standard height. I've put about 11,000 miles on the seat so far. At first it still hurt on long rides (650 mile days). But for the last 6000 it has become very comfortable. I like it even better than the stock seat on my GL1800.

I don't think I want the low sargeant because to lose 2" in height they must sacrifice comfort over their regular height seat. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am at my wits end. I've spent way too much time and money already and am back to square one.

Question your assumption about comfort being different between a low Sargent and regular height....Await others comments on that..... lurker.gif

Low Sargent configuration makes it farther to the ground than a stock low seat because is spreads your legs apart farther at the thighs....My bike came with a stock low seat....

I like my low Sargent.... thumbsup.gif

Phil (5'7", 29-1/2 inseam)..........Redbrick

paulcbrowne

Check the seams in your undershorts, pants, and overpants. Maybe you need to invest in some "smoother" clothes and possibly empty your pockets.

What is done to make the BMW seat a "Low seat"? Is it the same pan with less padding or a completely different pan. If it's a lower pan why not have a Russell made on a low seat pan?

One of the posts mentioned Rich's custom seats in Seattle. I was in Rich's shop just last weekend watching him build a seat for my friend's Suzuki M50 cruiser. Rich & his crew did a really nice job of customizi9ng the saddle to Warren's butt, taking half a dozen checks to make sure he was happy. It cost Warren $400 for the solo saddle and he is very pleased. I had my solo saddle done by Don Webber of Albany, OR. I ride a 2005 R1200RT. I am very please with my seat. It shouldn't hurt to ride. I'm heading out to a rally tomorrow morning that's 431 miles south of me in Fortuna, CA. I have no doubt I'll make it comfortably in 8 hours.

Warrren_Seat1.jpg

Rich1.jpg

Seat_1.jpg

JimConnell
What is done to make the BMW seat a "Low seat"? Is it the same pan with less padding or a completely different pan. If it's a lower pan why not have a Russell made on a low seat pan?

I have both the low and regular BMW seats. They look like the same seat pan, just with less padding on the low seat. But, before you try that idea, try to find one person who asked Russell to make a low seat and was happy with the result. lmao.gif

I started with a low seat pan, let Russell cut it up, and it was a waste of money.

Jim

markgoodrich

I sure wish there was someone in TEXAS who could make a custom seat like all the West Coast guys. I've got a slot for a Russell coming up, but man, mail order comfort, plus being without the seat for almost a month, is, um, discomfiting. I'm leaving tomorrow for about 3,000 miles, on the stock seat with not one but two emergency backup pads in hopes one will allow me to do 4-500 mile days without crying...but my particular issue isn't so much with the OEM seat as it is with chronic pain from an injury over a year ago.

I know your anguish Mark. I lived in St. Louis and South Carolina and had to mail my seat to the West coast. Now that I live in Oregon the best saddle makers in the states are within riding distance. The prices are cheaper with a ride in also at just $400 for most solo saddles.

Archived