IGNORED

02 R-1150RT clutch spline & final drive

twins4life

twins4life

I just bought a 02 R-1150RT and have been reading on it. Seemingly the two weak points are the clutch splines and final drive bearing. Any others I need to watch out for?

According to what I have read, the final drive bearing (if) failure will be preceeded by excessive metal on the drain plug. T/F?

And impending failure of the clutch splines will be hard shifting 1-2 & 2-1. T/F?

I can only assume the only way to check the splines is to remove the gearbox (not fun).

TIA

According to what I have read, the final drive bearing (if) failure will be preceeded by excessive metal on the drain plug. T/F?
Not always, some fail without fillings in the lube, but if there is, it's always a bad sign.
And impending failure of the clutch splines will be hard shifting 1-2 & 2-1. T/F?
This one is less ashured. Shifting issues can be as simple as loose linkage. OTOH I've seem spline failures that the rider said there was no signs if an impending issue until they coasted to the side of the road.
I can only assume the only way to check the splines is to remove the gearbox (not fun).
Some people try to get some indication by doing an inspection by pulling the starter and looking through there. But as you say, the only true way to tell is pull the tranny.

Archived